General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

9 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

my issue is that you can’t say your a tier 1 league when USL is bigger and has more valued players in it. Yes you gonna start somewhere. But you can’t say your a Tier 1 league when your being cheap and saying your developing young talent ( the Ottawa senator model hahaha JK) . I worry this is going to be the case. There is a opportunity with some pretty good Canadian talent that basically free agents to really boost the CPL to the world. Also new teams are needed ASAP ! I pray the CPL isn’t stupid like the CFL is ! ( there are plenty of Cities in Canada that can have teams!)

I guess the majority of leagues in the world should stop calling themselves tier 1  leagues considering how much money the English championship spends... ridiculous

I dont really think anyone cares what its called.  The soccer was entertaining, we made it through year one, no one folded and they'll build from there.  The league will find its footing and bring in expansion teams when they are ready.  And they'll raise wages/cap when the economics will support it.  Targeting veteran guys making half a million doesnt make much sense when there are still young guys getting no playing time from MLS academies that can potentially step in and lead the league in scoring (Campbell).  There is still alot of untapped talent that is probably just as good as some of these higher priced vets we were excited about coming in for  year 1 that did very little.  

On 11/23/2019 at 2:28 PM, Bison44 said:

Johnson was making just under half a million US so I think he wont be coming to CPL any time soon.  The other guys mentioned by SpecialK are more in our price range if they cant stick with MLS.  

True.  But I also think we can all agree that Johnson is not likely going to get anywhere near $500,000 for his next contract, whether he plays in MLS, CPL or elsewhere.  At his age, he likely knows it as well.

If Herdman wants to play Davies at LB that's fine but he needs to make sure Canada plays with a winger to work with Davies. Against the US he was isolated and it went horribly since Morris and Dest had all the time in the world to counter. Hoilett, Borges or Millar would be options.

The problem with playing Davies at LB for Canada is that he knows he is one of the stars on the team and he will try to make something happen that may compromise the position he is supposed to be playing. At Bayern Munich he knows he is not the top player and is not expected to always make something happen so he can concentrate on the LB role and get forward when it makes sense.

Rumour in the Costa Rican press about a potential Canada vs Costa Rica friendly in the US in January(!!!).

https://teletica.com/243240_en-la-sele-analizan-la-posibilidad-de-un-fogueo-ante-canada-en-enero-proximo

However, the discussions are still "informal" at this point. We wanted the camp to be in Costa Rica, but this was not possible due to municipal elections. Whether this match goes ahead or not, it's good to see that the CSA is pursuing all possible avenues to gain ranking points.

As this year come to a end I would give our Mens National team a  grade of a B+ the only setbacks would be the loss to Haiti and to the Cocksucking Yanks. We saw emergence of players like Kamal Miller, Richard Layrea , and Fraser, We are still a work in progress we need some more depth  in the area of Central Defence and left / Right back, hopefully CPL can help with that area 

17 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Who can even play in January. It’s not an official break so no European players. Do MLS clubs have to release their players or will it just be canpl players.

They don't, but most will unless the player has injury concerns. However, it's entirely possible that they could say no because of the potential labor conflict. 

21 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Who can even play in January. It’s not an official break so no European players. Do MLS clubs have to release their players or will it just be canpl players.

-MLS.

-CanPL.

-USL

-Nordic countries (Simon Thomas, Sam Adekugbe).

-Ireland perhaps (Kris Twardek).

-Unattached FC!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

-MLS.

-CanPL.

-USL

-Nordic countries (Simon Thomas, Sam Adekugbe).

-Ireland perhaps (Kris Twardek).

-Unattached FC!

Any European players who could be returning or signing in MLS or CPL. Atiba maybe?  It must be getting to now or never time for him to play in the MLS

Either way it would be an interesting team. Adekugbe would show up and they would play Akindele at LB

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

The question is, do we have enough local talent(North American based players) to actually beat Costa Rica? 

Costa Rica is a hex level team, and to date, we are not.  The idea of fielding a weakened team against them in must-win seems risky at best.  I guess it would be a matter of those in the know doing the math and assessing our NA-based squad against their NA-based squad.  I suspect they have a strong pool of domestic players that would absolutely challenge the kind of team we could field.  Losing guys like Davies, David and Arfield would be significant for us.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'd call Dejan Jakovic and Carl Haworth, both with Unattached F.C.

How long is the break in Mexico?

Did not think Cavallini would be available.

I'm gonna assume mid January, likely around the same time as the Costa Rican League. 

Teams are already finalizing friendlies for March and the CSA is content to just chill and pat themselves on the back for a supposedly good job. I'm not entirely sure this team can move forward if the program doesn't want to spend any money. Canada haven't played a friendly in almost two years. That's small carribean country territory.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Teams are already finalizing friendlies for March and the CSA is content to just chill and pat themselves on the back for a supposedly good job. I'm not entirely sure this team can move forward if the program doesn't want to spend any money. Canada haven't played a friendly in almost two years. That's small carribean country territory.

The CSA is likely looking; it's just that they play their cards close to their chest; remember 95% of all the gossip we ever get regarding things that have yet to be announced for the #CanMNT come from the opponent's media!