General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Hutchison back in training but not ready for this weekend - I think (or he has taken up volleyball) 

"The Canadian front libero Atiba started working with the team after surviving his injury. 36-year-old footballer, yesterday's exercise revealed that the effective performance again drew all the attention.

Abdullah Avcı is ready to serve the experienced footballer, Gazişehir match is expected to take a while."

https://www.cnnturk.com/spor/futbol/atiba-hutchinson-guclu-dondu

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Eustaquio will be available for selection this weekend so with over a month to go match fitness shouldn’t be an issue.  You have to think he would be a sub for his first cap anyway ala Arfield .. in which case it’s even less of an issue.

I definitely think he should be called.  I think it will be a boost to everyone and also his first call up being against the USA will throw him right in the mix mentality wise.. it really doesn’t get bigger.

I’d like to see Piette, Arfield and Hutchinson in the middle for this one with Eustaquio and Osorio as options off the bench.  Kaye back at LB for this one - he needs to be on the pitch but isn’t displacing my 3 middle guys.

Pretty much agree with this on Eustaquio. Gives us some bench gravity having him around. Don't even care what he's done or hasn't done yet, it would just be good for everyone's confidence and his integration into the side.

I want Kaye instead of Piette. With Arfield and MAK you have two guys with good engines who can read the match well and track back to cover each other. We get more dynamic play through the middle to David that way as well. We can out-possess the US and play defense by offense. Having Kaye's ability to turn and play short and line-breaking passes will make that possible. Piette is pretty good with lofted passes to relieve pressure but MAK is better.

LB I'm not even sure who I prefer; our options just aren't great. We should give license to Davies to push up and just be smart and platoon-fill the hole he leaves behind on the left side.

Edited by Lansdude

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Eustaquio will be available for selection this weekend so with over a month to go match fitness shouldn’t be an issue.  You have to think he would be a sub for his first cap anyway ala Arfield .. in which case it’s even less of an issue.

I definitely think he should be called.  I think it will be a boost to everyone and also his first call up being against the USA will throw him right in the mix mentality wise.. it really doesn’t get bigger.

I’d like to see Piette, Arfield and Hutchinson in the middle for this one with Eustaquio and Osorio as options off the bench.  Kaye back at LB for this one - he needs to be on the pitch but isn’t displacing my 3 middle guys.

Is hutch not sidelined with a major injury? Even if he comes back in time, how would his match fitness be at 36?

EDIT: NVM. shouldve read the last post of the previous page. Just getting back into training

Edited by king1010

I would like to add something about Larin.

It didn't happen for him again and you have to go with the hot hand in the future, but you really can't say that most of the rest of the offence made much happen in the second game either.  Which I think was a tough situation for him. 

I also saw on one of these threads that he was playing but out of form.  Now strikers are judged on goals at the end of the day and he has none but I still think that playing in a decent league he had done well, after a rough start.  

He has played everything minute in the league, equal only to the club's captain, has three assists and his team has gone undefeated in 4. Watching a few of his games, he has a decent understanding with Berahino. 

Might see him have a goal or two before October rolls around, deserves a few for his work in Belgium so far.  

58 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Pretty much agree with this on Eustaquio. Gives us some bench gravity having him around. Don't even care what he's done or hasn't done yet, it would just be good for everyone's confidence and his integration into the side.

I want Kaye instead of Piette. With Arfield and MAK you have two guys with good engines who can read the match well and track back to cover each other. We get more dynamic play through the middle to David that way as well. We can out-possess the US and play defense by offense. Having Kaye's ability to turn and play short and line-breaking passes will make that possible. Piette is pretty good with lofted passes to relieve pressure but MAK is better.

LB I'm not even sure who I prefer; our options just aren't great. We should give license to Davies to push up and just be smart and platoon-fill the hole he leaves behind on the left side.

Both have to be in the side, in my opinion.

Piette is a master at breaking up plays. He does that better than anyone in the pool. He is a dedicated 6, giving the midfield balance.

Kaye covers ground like nobody else. He can win balls in the air. He disposess players. He is a left foot, he can keep the ball, advance the ball, pass the ball. He does it all.

I think it has to be one of Osorio or Arfield. I said in other threads now that Scottie is the better player overall. I stick by that.

However, Osorio has this elusive element to his game that lends some creativity and unpredictability to the side. Especially when Hoilett is on the field, both players doing this causes issues. Arfield is more workman like, can do everything well, can support the attack well, but do we lose a shade of creativity if we go with this option? 

13 hours ago, SpecialK said:

My roster for the USA games if everyone is healthy and ready to go. Thoughts ? Oh I can’t wait !!!  Giddyup ! 

Borjan 

Crepeau

Leutwiler

Adekugbe

Morgan

ZBG

Laryea

James

Vitoria

Cornelius

Straith

Arfield

Hutchinson

Eustaquio

Kaye

Piette

Osorio

Davies

Hoilett

Tabla

Millar

Cavallini

Larin

David

I really like it, especially the Tabla recall.

I would consider Miller for Morgan.

Aside from that, looks great.

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Both have to be in the side, in my opinion.

Piette is a master at breaking up plays. He does that better than anyone in the pool. He is a dedicated 6, giving the midfield balance.

Kaye covers ground like nobody else. He can win balls in the air. He disposess players. He is a left foot, he can keep the ball, advance the ball, pass the ball. He does it all.

I think it has to be one of Osorio or Arfield. I said in other threads now that Scottie is the better player overall. I stick by that.

However, Osorio has this elusive element to his game that lends some creativity and unpredictability to the side. Especially when Hoilett is on the field, both players doing this causes issues. Arfield is more workman like, can do everything well, can support the attack well, but do we lose a shade of creativity if we go with this option? 

Specifically addressing how we line up against the US, we know Berhalter is pushing them to play possession-style soccer and they're having growing pains. I think we have the personnel to out manoeuvre them in the middle and force bad passes higher up the field. I think we should be playing for the win in the home match, and we can do that by outshining their midfield with our most technically gifted players.

Later in the match if we have a lead to protect or even a draw we can bring in Piette to snuff them out.

Edited by Lansdude

If Eustaquio is healthy and in game shape. He’s going to be a huge difference maker! I know everyone loves Piette and he’s been playing well, but Eustaquio is another level. He can be that  destroyer like Piette but can attack with speed and  creativity. Also he’s a lot faster than Piette.  I wouldn’t be surprise if Hutchison is not healthy/ ready to go, it’s going to be Kaye, Arfield and Eustaquio starting. I do wish Herdman goes with just two mids and have David just under Cavallini. 

Edited by SpecialK

12 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If Eustaquio is healthy and in game shape. He’s going to be a huge difference maker! I know everyone loves Piette and he’s been playing well, but Eustaquio is another level. He can be that  destroyer like Piette but can attack with speed and  creativity. Also he’s a lot faster than Piette.  I wouldn’t be surprise if Hutchison is not healthy/ ready to go, it’s going to be Kaye, Arfield and Eustaquio starting. I do wish Herdman goes with just two mids and have David just under Cavallini. 

October may be too soon to see him start for us, but he should definitely be called. I'm hoping he will be ready for 90 minutes for the away game in November.  

He will be a massive addition to the team.

1 hour ago, Lansdude said:

Specifically addressing how we line up against the US, we know Berhalter is pushing them to play possession-style soccer and they're having growing pains. I think we have the personnel to out manoeuvre them in the middle and force bad passes higher up the field. I think we should be playing for the win in the home match, and we can do that by outshining their midfield with our most technically gifted players.

Later in the match if we have a lead to protect or even a draw we can bring in Piette to snuff them out.

I agree that we should approach the Americans in this way. I think we match up well with them, especially if they want to out possess us and we hit them on the counter. That plays to our strengths.

Who would you propose play DM if not for Piette? Perhaps Hutchinson, he's always going to figure in the convo if he's healthy. On resume alone Eustaquio is a prime candidate, but does he come in and start in a game of this magnitude?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I agree that we should approach the Americans in this way. I think we match up well with them, especially if they want to out possess us and we hit them on the counter. That plays to our strengths.

Who would you propose play DM if not for Piette? Perhaps Hutchinson, he's always going to figure in the convo if he's healthy. On resume alone Eustaquio is a prime candidate, but does he come in and start in a game of this magnitude?

I propose we don't even go with a dedicated 6 and just have Arfield and Kaye share the responsibility.

Just now, Lansdude said:

I propose we don't even go with a dedicated 6 and just have Arfield and Kaye share the responsibility.

Can't see us doing that and if we did we are really inviting pressure onto our CBs.

They have a good midfield. They are going to easily find spaces between the lines if we do that.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can't see us doing that and if we did we are really inviting pressure onto our CBs.

They have a good midfield. They are going to easily find spaces between the lines if we do that.

I don't think we will either but this is the balls to the wall aggro formation that I think can control the match.

13 minutes ago, Kent said:

MAK has to play midfield in my opinion. I don't usually do lineups, but I guess I'll take a crack at it.

image.png.75f24344fd84d21a31e410de9d604ac9.png

Once we are up 3 or 4 goals in about the 60th minute we can introduce Eustaquio for Kaye or Arfield.

"Once we are up 3 or 4 goals"............ I love it. That's the way it should be.😁

53 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I like Laryea's offensive game but I hope he is up to the task defensively.  

I was only able to catch the last half or so but he looked good from what I saw both attacking and defending. He seems to read the play well and makes good decisions with attackers closing him down. From what I've seen he's my first choice at RB.

Edit half hour or so of the TFC match

Edited by Lansdude

3 hours ago, Lansdude said:

I was only able to catch the last half or so but he looked good from what I saw both attacking and defending. He seems to read the play well and makes good decisions with attackers closing him down. From what I've seen he's my first choice at RB.

Edit half hour or so of the TFC match

He did well here and I'm guessing that he has been a pretty quick study in the position this season for TFC.  Regardless of the current form of our next opponent, they pose a serious attacking threat with quick players who interchange and move into space really well, so hopefully our team is well prepared.

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He seemed to get caught out of position quite a few times but Colorado couldn’t manage the right ball to punish him. 

The key is with the team defending.  The defensive support will be very important, so one of the central midfielders will need to be aware of providing coverage.

Canadians in MLS

Player Team Position GP GS MP G A
Mark Anthony Kaye Los Angeles FC CM/LB 27 24 2200 4 8
Samuel Piette Montreal Impact CDM 22 22 1950 0 0
Russell Teibert Vancouver Whitecaps CM/CDM 24 23 1932 0 3
Doneil Henry Vancouver Whitecaps CB 22 21 1853 3 1
Tesho Akindele Orlando City ST/W 25 20 1705 9 2
Shamit Shome Montreal Impact CM 25 17 1544 1 1
Jonathan Osorio Toronto FC CM/CAM 21 15 1486 5 4
Will Johnson Orlando City CM 18 17 1462 1 1
Richie Laryea Toronto FC RB/RWB/CM 19 15 1378 1 2
Derek Cornelious Vancouver Whitecaps CB 15 14 1246 1 0
Kamal Miller Orlando City CB 14 12 1170 0 0
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal Impact RB 13 9 871 0 1
Liam Fraser Toronto FC CDM 9 9 810 0 1
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto FC LW 10 8 672 0 1
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal Impact CM 16 6 659 0 1
Jordan Hamilton Columbus Crew ST 16 7 658 4 0
Theo Bair Vancouver Whitecaps ST 14 7 629 1 2
Anthony Jackson-Hamel Montreal Impact ST 16 6 618 3 0
Jay Chapman Toronto FC CM/CAM 17 5 522 2 2
Tajon Buchanan New England Revolution ST 10 4 391 0 2
Clement Bayiha Montreal Impact RB/RWB 9 3 391 0 1
Ashtone Morgan Toronto FC LB 8 3 299 1 0
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver Whitecaps ST 5 3 295 0 2
Brett Levis Vancouver Whitecaps LB 8 2 285 0 0
Ayo Akinola Toronto FC ST 8 2 253 1 1
Raheem Edwards Chicago Fire LWB/LB 4 2 244 1 0
Dejan Jakovic Los Angeles FC CB 3 2 181 0 0
Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla Montreal Impact ST/W 4 1 127 0 0
Daniel Kinumbe Montreal Impact LB 1 1 67 0 0
Brian Wright New England Revolution ST 2 0 10 0 0
Callum Montgomery FC Dallas CB          
Thomas Meuilleur-Giguere Montreal Impact Loan          
Karifa Yao Montreal Impact CB          
Luca Ricci Montreal Impact CM          
Julian Dunn-Johnson Toronto FC CB          
Noble Okello Toronto FC CDM          
Aidan Daniels Toronto FC Loan          
Simon Colyn Vancouver Whitecaps CAM          
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver Whitecaps CDM          
David Norman Jr. Vancouver Whitecaps CM          

Player Team Position GP GS MP S GA
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver Whitecaps GK 24 24 2160 107 42
Greg Ranjitsingh Orlando City GK 2 2 180 4 3
Dayne St Clair Minnesota United FC GK          
James Pantemis Montreal Impact GK          
Jason Beaulieu Montreal Impact GK          
Thomas Hasel Vancouver Whitecaps GK          
Sean Melvin Vancouver Whitecaps GK          

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The key is with the team defending.  The defensive support will be very important, so one of the central midfielders will need to be aware of providing coverage.

I don't think Herdman has or will ask Laryea to get as far forward so consistently/frequently as Vanney has done (half the time for TFC he's playing higher than the right winger is, and is encouraged to do so) - at least, not against the US. Defensively, although it is perhaps not saying much given how woeful the others were on the night, Laryea was the best of TFC's 4 defenders against Colorado (and for me the most consistent performer for TFC the whole game), when he was in position defensively he was the only one not taken to the cleaners by an attacker and he was the most assured with the ball and his feet and distribution-wise. Granted he will be up against stiffer competition when we play the US but at the same time I think he gives them something else to worry about. The feel-good unexpected Canadian success story of the 2019 MLS season, as nobody (including me) was talking about him as a national team regular & answer to the right-back woes at the start of the year.