General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wasn’t the women’s team suing them at one point for pay equity? 

That's the first thing that came in my head as well.

I mean, I understand why they are fighting for pay equity, but talk about biting the hand that feeds you....

Sounds like US soccer is cannibalizing itself.

Edited by Obinna

On 12/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Costa Rica is a hex level team, and to date, we are not.  The idea of fielding a weakened team against them in must-win seems risky at best.  I guess it would be a matter of those in the know doing the math and assessing our NA-based squad against their NA-based squad.  I suspect they have a strong pool of domestic players that would absolutely challenge the kind of team we could field.  Losing guys like Davies, David and Arfield would be significant for us.

Your'e right the risk is so real. 
But we have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by taking this risk!

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Your'e right the risk is so real. 
But we have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by taking this risk!

I guess my point is that’s it may not be then only strategy.  A B team would be a far safer bet playing a minnow or two.  Recognizing that we need to do something, playing CR isn’t the only option.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I guess my point is that’s it may not be then only strategy.  A B team would be a far safer bet playing a minnow or two.  Recognizing that we need to do something, playing CR isn’t the only option.  

We need to play teams higher ranked than us (and win) for it to gain us greater points. No? Playing minnows aka teams ranked lower than us will only gain us little points....Or am I completely confused!

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

We need to play teams higher ranked than us (and win) for it to gain us greater points. No? Playing minnows aka teams ranked lower than us will only gain us little points....Or am I completely confused!

El Salvador is currently 16 points ahead of us. 4 wins during FIFA windows against teams ranked even with us would get us 20 points. So if El Salvador stay where they are, or of course if they drop points we don’t strictly “need” to play higher ranked teams or any games outside the March and June windows. But of course if El Salvador is able to gain more points by the end of the June window we would need wins against higher ranked opponents, or more than 4 wins etc.

It is impossible to know what we actually “need”. I personally don’t know what the best strategy would be exactly, but we do need to play something because even though El Salvador could drop below us by themselves theoretically, they would no doubt stop playing friendlies if they see we aren’t playing.

• 1 month later...

With Laryea, ZBG, Godinho, Cordova, Adekugbe, Bassong, Miller, Morgan and hopefully Cristian as well as emerging CPL players our RB/LB positions are certainly looking much better than just a year ago. Now if we can just get a few more CBs....the best part is that we probably will not see Davies at LB  and can play him up front where he is more effective for Canada.

Edited by Kadenge

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

With Laryea, ZBG, Godinho, Cordova, Adekugbe, Bassong, Miller, Morgan and hopefully Cristian as well as emerging CPL players our RB/LB positions are certainly looking much better than just a year ago. Now if we can just get a few more CBs....the best part is that we probably will not see Davies at LB  and can play him up front where he is more effective for Canada.

At the very least we now have good depth there, it’s just a matter of a few of them becoming clear starters. 

17 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I prefer to see MIller develop as a CB, as opposed to LB. 

• 2 weeks later...

With what appears to be Ottawa's imminent entry in to the CPL, here's hoping the city gets the chance to host a men's team game soon.

Please note: There are many fine cities in this country that I'd like to see given a chance to host a game, and both Vancouver and Toronto do fine jobs basically every time they host.  It's just always seemed to me that Ottawa's size and relative proximity to both the Toronto and Montreal markets should make it the leading candidate to break the current Vancouver/Toronto duopoly of games.

• 4 weeks later...

This is why for me it's sort of a shame to see some of these kids go to MLS.  If you're Shaffelburg for instance and you go to CPL and put up a Borges-like season (which is very possible) you'll be on your way to Europe without question (if you want).  Instead these kids are shackling themselves to the pipe dream of becoming a MLS regular as a homegrown.

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is why for me it's sort of a shame to see some of these kids go to MLS.  If you're Shaffelburg for instance and you go to CPL and put up a Borges-like season (which is very possible) you'll be on your way to Europe without question (if you want).  Instead these kids are shackling themselves to the pipe dream of becoming a MLS regular as a homegrown.

Always good for kids to have options.  I would hope that young kids with a high ceiling would be really strategic about their career path - relying on good advice from family, coaches and agents. 

I would also point out hat Davies did go through MLS, and things seem to be working out for him.  Not every case ends in a Larin-esque battle.  If the kids have the talent, I think they will get to the big clubs one way or another.

43 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Always good for kids to have options.  I would hope that young kids with a high ceiling would be really strategic about their career path - relying on good advice from family, coaches and agents. 

I would also point out hat Davies did go through MLS, and things seem to be working out for him.  Not every case ends in a Larin-esque battle.  If the kids have the talent, I think they will get to the big clubs one way or another.

My point was really that 99.999% of these kids aren't Davies.  Of the top prospects from Canada/USA it's not a coincidence that most choose to forego MLS - so it seems that family, coaches and agents of these top players agree with me. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

My point was really that 99.999% of these kids aren't Davies.  Of the top prospects from Canada/USA it's not a coincidence that most choose to forego MLS - so it seems that family, coaches and agents of these top players agree with me. 

The best of the all (Davies right now) did chose to go through MLS.