General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I’m loving the frequency of seeing Canada play, I’m hoping we can bring our strongest team possible for the Gold Cup...in other words I hope we see David, and Davies. 

I know most advocate for a B squad to give the A team rest, but some part of me still thinks that if we get past Haiti the GC would be great prep for the Ocho.  There will be no easy games at that level and given our long hiatus using the GC to tune up would let us hit the ground running. May be too much, but man it seems a bit like a missed opportunity.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know most advocate for a B squad to give the A team rest, but some part of me still thinks that if we get past Haiti the GC would be great prep for the Ocho.  There will be no easy games at that level and given our long hiatus using the GC to tune up would let us hit the ground running. May be too much, but man it seems a bit like a missed opportunity.  

I am in two camps. On the one hand, I would love for all our best players to be there, continue building chemistry and confidence, and potentially win the Gold Cup if other countries send B+ squads, further catapulting soccer in this country.

On the other hand, a lot of what I mentioned is not super tangible (save for actually winning the tournament :P), so if we have a chance to lock up some dual nats then I think we have to take that opportunity.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Just watching Italy and Turkey, its awesome to see Cristante get on the pitch. I wondering if we will see Ferdi Kadioglu switch over to Canada soon ? 

If Turkey continue playing like that they will be calling him up soon. Don't think he will crack Holland but will settle on Turkey. 

Didn't he dismiss Canada at some point late last year not long after there were some twitter rumours he committed to us. Think he said he was focused on Holland and not ruling out Turkey. Canada wasn't an option for him? Could have all be BS. Still, I think he reps Turkey.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is anybody actually advocating for this?  What would be the advantage?  Except for the MLS players, the entire squad has no league matches for at least two months after the Gold Cup.  The only reason I can think of would be to save the superstars (David, Davies, etc) from potential injury.  Or maybe to give some of the lesser players some extra field time, but the Gold Cup seems an inappropriate time for that.

11 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Is anybody actually advocating for this?  What would be the advantage?  Except for the MLS players, the entire squad has no league matches for at least two months after the Gold Cup.  The only reason I can think of would be to save the superstars (David, Davies, etc) from potential injury.  Or maybe to give some of the lesser players some extra field time, but the Gold Cup seems an inappropriate time for that.

The following players will be playing for new clubs, or new managers at their current clubs, next season:

• Alphonso Davies
  • Jonathan David
  • Cyle Larin*
  • Liam Millar
  • Junior Hoilett
  • Theo Corbeanou
  • Stephen Eustaquio*
  • Sam Adekugbe
  • Richie Laryea*
  • Frank Sturing
  • Tajon Buchanan*
  • Ricardo Ferreira

*somewhere between possible and probable.

Other key players from MLS will be in the middle of their club seasons.

It's counter-productive to potentially derail our guys' club careers for the Gold Cup while we're in the thick of World Cup qualifying.

3 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Most of the major teams ex Jamaica are bringing a B team since they weren't in the Nations League Final 4 or in June WCQ. Mexico & Honduras are also in the Olympics.

Euro players have been playing non-stop since last summer. Their pre-season training starts in July since leagues start resuming from early August onwards. So, in order to give them a vacation and rest their body & mind, they'll need to skip the Gold Cup. Some clubs also don't want their players to miss any pre-season training and some players will also want not to miss it if they're looking for more playing time.

This NYT article sums up the worry about the F word: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/sports/soccer/euro-2020-fatigue.html

The other issue is if Canada brings A team but don't even get to the Final playing against B teams. It will be a psychological blow for Ocho WCQ.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have been thinking about this as well, but a true A squad is probably out of the question. However, it would be good for us to have a very strong B squad, or a weak A squad, depending on how you want to look at it. Davies and David need a rest, Larin too. I would also think Adekugbe, Eustaquio, Vitoria and Borjan would be out, possibly Millar, Wotherspoon and Kennedy too. Corbeanu I am not sure, since he's very much on the fringe of the first team at Wolves, rather than firmly in it, but that may be just as good a reason for him to return to England as any.

That leaves us with basically an MLS squad:

GK: Crepeau, St. Clair, Pantemis

Defense: Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez, Johnston, Cornelius, Miller, Singh, Bassong

Midfield: Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Priso, Baldisimo, Fraser

Wingers: Nelson, Schaffleburg, Buchanan, Tabla

Forward: Akinola, Akindele, Cavallini

That's the strongest MLS team we could field, I think, but players like Buchanan and Cornelius may transfer to Europe and miss the tourny, or we may get some fringe Euro guys like Godinho or Byrm. Perhaps there's an outside chance for a Flores or a Dias to commit, but I don't expect Jebbison. Also, the quartet of core MLS guys (Osorio, Kaye, Cav, Piette) may not be released, but the rumors of Cavs involvement have me thinking otherwise and fueling my hopes for a stronger squad than we thought we'd get. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have been thinking about this as well, but a true A squad is probably out of the question. However, it would be good for us to have a very strong B squad, or a weak A squad, depending on how you want to look at it. Davies and David need a rest, Larin too. I would also think Adekugbe, Eustaquio, Vitoria and Borjan would be out, possibly Millar, Wotherspoon and Kennedy too. Corbeanu I am not sure, since he's very much on the fringe of the first team at Wolves, rather than firmly in it, but that may be just as good a reason for him to return to England as any.

Defense: Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez, Johnston, Cornelius, Miller, Singh, Bassong

That's the strongest MLS team we could field, I think, but players like Buchanan and Cornelius may transfer to Europe and miss the tourny, or we may get some fringe Euro guys like Godinho or Byrm. Perhaps there's an outside chance for a Flores or a Dias to commit, but I don't expect Jebbison. Also, the quartet of core MLS guys (Osorio, Kaye, Cav, Piette) may not be released, but the rumors of Cavs involvement have me thinking otherwise and fueling my hopes for a stronger squad than we thought we'd get. 

It's the official continental championship. Clubs don't have a choice whether to release a player, or not. That doesn't mean that I think that Canada should necessarily call any of those players. However, if they're called, there's not a thing that TFC, the 'Caps, or Impact can do about it.

I'd bring the A squad (with a bit of squad rotation)... these guys need to gel and win more than they need a rest. You can manage minutes for a few players in the group stage. I'm not sure other teams are planning on sending B squads.

Edited by A_Gagne

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

IMHO, our strongest MLS squad would include Laryea and Waterman instead of Bassong and Singh.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I'd take Pasher over Nelson or Tabla

15 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Just watching Italy and Turkey, its awesome to see Cristante get on the pitch. I wondering if we will see Ferdi Kadioglu switch over to Canada soon ? 

I doubt it...Ferdi will either end up with the Netherlands or Turkey

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Roger that. Hard to keep track of our guys in MLS since we have so many now. I would drop Tabla before Nelson.

I would take Tabla over Nelson. Though I’d typically rather have guys playing Nelson just hasn’t impressed at the pro level and doesn’t merit a call up. 

Tabla may be in a rut but he has shown he can play at the pro level and even has some European experience.

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I would take Tabla over Nelson. Though I’d typically rather have guys playing Nelson just hasn’t impressed at the pro level and doesn’t merit a call up. 

Tabla may be in a rut but he has shown he can play at the pro level and even has some European experience.

Only one of them has scored for the national team and it isn't Tabla...