General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

37 minutes ago, Kent said:

A positive for that own goal in the Haiti game by the Canadian goalkeeper playing for Haiti. It might make Mexico think twice about capping Flores, because for all they know Flores might just commit for a long con to eventually do the same for Canada in a crucial World Cup Qualifier.

The conspiracy is real people!

18-16.jpg

Slightly off topic, but since this is a general-discussion thread, I am curious to hear what others think our best 11 currently is going into the Octo. Is it realistic to include Arfield and Hutch? If so, here's what I'm thinking:

----------David-----Larin-------

---------------Arfield-----------

--------Eustaquio----Hutch-----

Davies--------------------Laryea

--Kennedy---Miller---Johnston--

---------------Borjan-------------

CB is debatable of course, but I've always been really impressed with Miller. I suppose 14 games would be a lot to ask of Hutch and others as well, so we'll likely see a very large supporting cast. I had my doubts about Larin in the past, but he has won me over. The goal he scored yesterday was particularly special and demonstrated his talent. Anyway, let me know what you think. Obviously, our bench would be pretty deep. 

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Slightly off topic, but since this is a general-discussion thread, I am curious to hear what others think our best 11 currently is going into the Octo. Is it realistic to include Arfield and Hutch? If so, here's what I'm thinking:

CB is debatable of course, but I've always been really impressed with Miller. I suppose 14 games would be a lot to ask of Hutch and others as well, so we'll likely see a very large supporting cast. I had my doubts about Larin in the past, but he has won me over. The goal he scored yesterday was particularly special and demonstrated his talent. Anyway, let me know what you think. Obviously, our bench would be pretty deep. 

If Vitoria is getting games in Portugal, he anchors our backline.  We may want to consider moving Hutch to that RCB spot, replacing Johnston, and adding Osorio or Kaye to the midfield.

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

If we're planning to play a 3-5-2 moving forward then we'll have to call more CBs than we did for this window. 

I know Miller had a good start to the year with Montreal but I want to see a good summer from him (especially in the Gold Cup) before he's anointed a starter. Between Vitoria and Henry we have two CBs who have worldly experience playing in the MLS, CCL, ACL, Portugal, Poland, Championship, Denmark, Korea and most importantly, CONCACAF WCQ. 

Kennedy I'll admit, I'm sold on. The guy is a stud.

11 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

If Vitoria is getting games in Portugal, he anchors our backline.  We may want to consider moving Hutch to that RCB spot, replacing Johnston, and adding Osorio or Kaye to the midfield.

Agree on Vitoria, but I want Hutchinson in the midfield. He's doing it for Besiktas so why put him out of position? Johnston has been great at RCB and part of that is his comfort level when the CBs take up high and wide positions in posession. Henry never looked as comfortable in those spots, but he'd do as a rotational player, either there or at the heart of the backline. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agree on Vitoria, but I want Hutchinson in the midfield. He's doing it for Besiktas so why put him out of position? Johnston has been great at RCB and part of that is his comfort level when the CBs take up high and wide positions in posession. Henry never looked as comfortable in those spots, but he'd do as a rotational player, either there or at the heart of the backline. 

I agree hes better in the midfield, but we have to consider the team being as balanced as possible.  What's the drop off between Hutch and Kaye, compared to improvement between Johnston and Hutch? 

We play 3 games in a week.  We need to get as much milage from Hutchinson as possible.  Being in the back is less taxing on the body.  And, as part of a 3 man backline, he will have the freedom to carry the ball forward into midfield when space allows it.  

Arfield/Osorio - Eustaquio - Hutchinson ... all similar players, perhaps too many cooks in the kitchen?

Edited by BrennanFan

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

I agree hes better in the midfield, but we have to consider the team being as balanced as possible.  What's the drop off between Hutch and Kaye, compared to improvement between Johnston and Hutch? 

We play 3 games in a week.  We need to get as much milage from Hutchinson as possible.  Being in the back is less taxing on the body.  And, as part of a 3 man backline, he will have the freedom to carry the ball forward into midfield when space allows it.  

Arfield/Osorio - Eustaquio - Hutchinson ... all similar players, perhaps too many cooks in the kitchen?

I would say Johnston would actually be the better option there over Hutch. He's a young, solid, defense first player with maturity beyond his years. Having played both positions, I would not consider the RCB spot any less taxing on the body than central midfield. If the goal is to make it easy on Hutchinson's body, it would be in the middle of the back 3. 

All that said, I think Hutchinson could do a job there if needed, just don't agree with the logic behind it. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I would say Johnston would actually be the better option there over Hutch. He's a young, solid, defense first player with maturity beyond his years. Having played both positions, I would not consider the RCB spot any less taxing on the body than central midfield. If the goal is to make it easy on Hutchinson's body, it would be in the middle of the back 3. 

All that said, I think Hutchinson could do a job there if needed, just don't agree with the logic behind it. 

Average total kilometers and high intensity runs are significantly higher for midfielders, but of course this will depend on the player and team tactics.  Perhaps you just weren't working as hard as you should've been in your midfield days?  J/k!    

I'd question Hutch isolated 1v1, something that will happen a lot at RCB. Best to keep Alistair there. It's his spot to lose.

There's still lots of potential on who can be his backup. I think Waterman, Dunn, Singh could stake a spot depending on minutes. Who knows, maybe Kooner, Smith or Halbouni get called into their respective first teams.  

1 minute ago, PopePouri said:

I'd question Hutch isolated 1v1, something that will happen a lot at RCB. Best to keep Alistair there. It's his spot to lose.

There's still lots of potential on who can be his backup. I think Waterman, Dunn, Singh could stake a spot depending on minutes. Who knows, maybe Kooner, Smith or Halbouni get called into their respective first teams.  

ZBG also has experience at RB and CB so he might be a perfect fit there. 

I agree re: Hutch though .. would like to see him in Osorio's spot he's had a lot of success at the club level in an attacking role recently.

13 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Average total kilometers and high intensity runs are significantly higher for midfielders, but of course this will depend on the player and team tactics.  Perhaps you just weren't working as hard as you should've been in your midfield days?  J/k!    

There's some truth to your joke :)

Yes, you are right that you put in more running in midfield, but if we are trying to preserve Hutchinson the bruising and battling that occurs in the RCB wouldn't be ideal for him. I was thinking more in those terms versus kilometers ran.

19 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

For my Ocho starting XI (3-5-2)

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe 

CB- Vitoria 

RB- Johnston

LWB- Davies

CDM- Eustaquio 

CDM- Hutchinson (if he comes back)

CAM- Corbeanu 

RWB- Laryea

CF- David

CF- Larin

I really can't see us playing stronger teams with a back 3 consisting of Vitoria and 2 fullbacks

23 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

For my Ocho starting XI (3-5-2)

GK- Borjan

LB- Adekugbe 

CB- Vitoria 

RB- Johnston

LWB- Davies

CDM- Eustaquio 

CDM- Hutchinson (if he comes back)

CAM- Corbeanu 

RWB- Laryea

CF- David

CF- Larin

If Corbeanu can't get out of youth level, he can't be starting games for us. I haven't heard any indication that he'll be loaned out, and he hasn't shown enough to get a championship loan regardless.

29 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I really can't see us playing stronger teams with a back 3 consisting of Vitoria and 2 fullbacks

Point taken, but what's the solution? Do we go four across the back with a Miller / Vitoria tandem in the middle? I am not as confident in Henry, but he is another option. Or Kennedy moves to the middle in a back four and Miller plays LB. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter who we plug into the backline, we're going to have problems with Mexico, the U.S., etc. Kennedy is still the best option for me at LB and Johnston at RB. ZBG did well for the national team recently, but I think he fits better as an RWB like Laryea. 

Anyway, I really hope our CB situation is resolved before the Octagon so that we can feel more confident about our backline against strong opposition as you said. 

3 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Anyway, I really hope our CB situation is resolved before the Octagon so that we can feel more confident about our backline against strong opposition as you said. 

On the bright side, the CB situation doesn’t look nearly as bleak as it did before this round of games.  Henry back healthy and the emergence/confirmation of Kennedy’s ability are big factors for us.  Still realistically where we are thinnest but it isn’t like it is some glaring hole in an otherwise talented team.  

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

On the bright side, the CB situation doesn’t look nearly as bleak as it did before this round of games.  Henry back healthy and the emergence/confirmation of Kennedy’s ability are big factors for us.  Still realistically where we are thinnest but it isn’t like it is some glaring hole in an otherwise talented team.  

I agree, largely. Having Kennedy and Johnston certainly improves things. Is our backline at a level now that can compete with Mexico? I guess we'll find out, and while I am a lot more optimistic now than in the past, I'm hoping the Gold Cup will help us improve further. 

45 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Point taken, but what's the solution? Do we go four across the back with a Miller / Vitoria tandem in the middle? I am not as confident in Henry, but he is another option. Or Kennedy moves to the middle in a back four and Miller plays LB. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter who we plug into the backline, we're going to have problems with Mexico, the U.S., etc. Kennedy is still the best option for me at LB and Johnston at RB. ZBG did well for the national team recently, but I think he fits better as an RWB like Laryea. 

Has Kennedy played LB?

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Hopefully Ferreira can get his club situation sorted out. He has the potential to be a starter for us at CB from what I've heard if he can get back on track (and stay healthy). Is he Vitoria level when in form?

I think his potential was higher when he was younger, but his career was completely derailed by injury. The last year he played in Portugal he rarely played on the worst team in the league.  Gonna be a long way back but hopefully he can do it.  He is 5 years younger than Vitoria.