General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 6/16/2021 at 12:27 PM, DeRo_Is_King said:

Point taken, but what's the solution? Do we go four across the back with a Miller / Vitoria tandem in the middle? I am not as confident in Henry, but he is another option. Or Kennedy moves to the middle in a back four and Miller plays LB. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter who we plug into the backline, we're going to have problems with Mexico, the U.S., etc. Kennedy is still the best option for me at LB and Johnston at RB. ZBG did well for the national team recently, but I think he fits better as an RWB like Laryea. 

Anyway, I really hope our CB situation is resolved before the Octagon so that we can feel more confident about our backline against strong opposition as you said. 

Why do you want to put Miller or Kennedy at LB? If we’re going 4 at the back, Kennedy is LCB for me with Adekugbe at LB. Or even Laryea or one of our other RB’s. And this is all assuming Davies doesn’t play LB.

On 6/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, archer21 said:

Why do you want to put Miller or Kennedy at LB? If we’re going 4 at the back, Kennedy is LCB for me with Adekugbe at LB. Or even Laryea or one of our other RB’s. And this is all assuming Davies doesn’t play LB.

I think recent games have shown that Davies can be highly effective in a LWB or an LM role. He's able to get forward more quickly in that spot.

With regard to Adekugbe, honestly, it's hard to argue. Of the defenders we have, he's definitely near the top. I'd just prefer to give Miller some starts since he missed out on WCQ recently and is also one of our better defenders.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

And in the theme of short off-topic posts, our national basketball team just beat Greece (Tuesday) and China (yesterday) to qualify for the semi-finals in our Olympic qualifying group (winner advances).  Worth watching/streaming on CBC if you can catch the games.    

Golden generation we are in for basketball as well. So many guys are out, but that team still looks very good to qualify. 

Short off-top post, tangentially related to cmnt discussion:

If any of you guys are like me, you spend a lot of time on wikipedia, checking out our roster, the stats of our players, the rosters and stats from other players and teams in concacaf, etc.

My wife just doesn't get it.

She usually gives me a puzzled look and says "soccer again"?  But her newest quip is "so when is the exam going to be"?

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

And in the theme of short off-topic posts, our national basketball team just beat Greece (Tuesday) and China (yesterday) to qualify for the semi-finals in our Olympic qualifying group (winner advances).  Worth watching/streaming on CBC if you can catch the games.    

Our men’s basketball team is in the same boat as our MNT, lots of potential talent but with much to prove. Imagine how much scarier that team is if it includes SGA, Jamal Murray, Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk and Chris Boucher. Could very well medal with that type of talent 

Just now, N1ckbr0wn said:

Our men’s basketball team is in the same boat as our MNT, lots of potential talent but with much to prove. Imagine how much scarier that team is if it includes SGA, Jamal Murray, Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk and Chris Boucher. Could very well medal with that type of talent 

Add in Dillon Brooks & Brandon Clarke too.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

If any of you guys are like me, you spend a lot of time on wikipedia, checking out our roster, the stats of our players, the rosters and stats from other players and teams in concacaf, etc.

She usually gives me a puzzled look and says "soccer again"?  But her newest quip is "so when is the exam going to be"?

My wife now knows the sound this website makes when a new reply is posted in a thread I have open. 'Oh, soccer stuff'.

'But I'm trying to write a treatise on the volatility of the new Elo-based FIFA rankings and its implication for group seeding in the 2026 world cup'

'That's nice.'

Yeah I've become pretty obsessive the past couple years. But to be fair, my line of work is pretty mentally demanding and I need something to balance that mental load where I can just sit back and observe someone else doing the hard work. And football is the greatest sport on the planet, and we finally don't suck at it, so why wouldn't you be obsessive about Canadian football right now?

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

My wife still asks me how Jonathan De Guzman is doing as when he was a teenager I used to ask her to translate all the dutch articles on him before Google translate existed (she's flemish).  

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

The program has improved a lot over the years!

Canada's program or our "golden generation" of talent is solid for like the next decade especially if we qualify for Qatar in like the next 18 months and then on top of hosting in 2026, that would be back to back World Cup appearances. But even after that, with the amount of talent we already have now and coming up through youth levels, we should be at the same level or close to the same level as USA and Mexico in the next few years.

On 7/1/2021 at 7:52 AM, dyslexic nam said:

The basketball team is giving me the pain and disappointment CMNT used to. Horrible loss and now a team we beat comfortably will likely qualify (Greece)

Just now, BigMo said:

The basketball team is giving me the pain and disappointment CMNT used to. Horrible loss and now a team we beat comfortably will likely qualify (Greece)

I had PVR’d it but looked up the result last night.  What a depressing end to it all.  Pretty disappointed.  I really thought we could get there.  

26 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Look on a bright side, men's volleyball is there at least indoor (I have to rep for the sport I played at the highest level).

That is the other sport my (tall) son plays.  Watching more and more of it.  The thing that blows me away most is how much faster the serves have gotten.  With someone who has a strong jump serve, they absolutely rip it.  Crazy how hard they hit them now.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is the other sport my (tall) son plays.  Watching more and more of it.  The thing that blows me away most is how much faster the serves have gotten.  With someone who has a strong jump serve, they absolutely rip it.  Crazy how hard they hit them now.  

Different game (literally) than when I played, speeds are crazy, as you say.  Canada's Vernon has a vertical and therefore power that is pretty insane.

I was literally jumping off my sofa when we tied at 101 in regular time. And I watched my ceiling desperately when the ball bounced off the rim at the end of last 1.8sec extra time.

Edit ps: yep, i felt totally gutted.

But why Nick Nurse didn't tell the boys to take one on one with that Czech 3 pointer in 1st quater (number 11, Shield)? 

Edited by lamptern

So the away WCQ game on Sept 5 against the USA will take place in Nashville. Safe to say Canada will open World Cup Qualifying either in BMO or Stade Saputo then (apologies/ignore if this was posted somewhere else already)

Edited by LeoH037

3 hours ago, lamptern said:

I was literally jumping off my sofa when we tied at 101 in regular time. And I watched my ceiling desperately when the ball bounced off the rim at the end of last 1.8sec extra time.

Edit ps: yep, i felt totally gutted.

But why Nick Nurse didn't tell the boys to take one on one with that Czech 3 pointer in 1st quater (number 11, Shield)? 

Yeah.  This was very disappointing.  Arguably we have the second best team in the world after the US now with all the NBA talent we have.  That being said, if we moan and bitch about lack of commitment at times for players like Arfield, just think of Canadian basketball.  They had over half their NBA talent sit out.  A couple were injured but still. If they have all their top guys with the exception of Murray who is definitely injured, you would have expected them to qualify easily.  A few of the NBA guys who played like Mulder and Lyles likely don't make this team with everyone there.

I think national team basketball is much more club over country; the NBA is king.  It’s unfortunate because basketball (IMO) is the #2 most popular sport in the world.  
If the European Super League would have happened, I could see them telling FIFA to go away when it came to releasing players for international tournaments.