General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Didic, Bair, Ricketts and Brym scored against Barbados too... shall we call them?

So you'd rather call up a 22 year old who has 100 MLS minutes since 2019 and seems to have peaked in 2017 instead of an 18 year old getting minutes in MLS who's scored for the national team?

16 hours ago, toontownman said:

If Turkey continue playing like that they will be calling him up soon. Don't think he will crack Holland but will settle on Turkey. 

Didn't he dismiss Canada at some point late last year not long after there were some twitter rumours he committed to us. Think he said he was focused on Holland and not ruling out Turkey. Canada wasn't an option for him? Could have all be BS. Still, I think he reps Turkey.

Oddly enough, Turkey just beat the Netherlands in World Cup Qualifying back in March.  Turkey also had an excellent Euro qualifying campaign as well.  With that being said, Turkey is a far more likely destination than Netherlands but Turkey is still decent and Ferdi will have to do more than what he did this season to make a real shot at either Turkey or Netherlands.

42 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

So you'd rather call up a 22 year old who has 100 MLS minutes since 2019 and seems to have peaked in 2017 instead of an 18 year old getting minutes in MLS who's scored for the national team?

We need to get Tabla going again. If that means jump starting his career in the Gold Cup over an 18 year old who will be with us for a decade, let’s do it.  Tabla isn’t good enough to have endless chances, but he did well at the Olympic Q and deserves at least one more shot to show he can contribute at he CMNT level. He is younger than Johnson, Kennedy, ... and if he matures and turns talent into performance he will help us in the long run.

9 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I'd take Pasher over Nelson or Tabla

Yup I’m not liking Nelson’s game so far he needs  to improve , needs to make every opportunity he gets count , I watched him with TFC2 the other night and didn’t even impress there unfortunately at a level below CPL , actually Priso was not that great either in that TFC2 game but at least he has looked very capable when he has played for TFC so far. Nelson has loads of skill and technique but I’ve seen many skilled players not panning out in the end . Nelson needs to be loaned out to a CPL team , get playing time and see what he can do because so far I don’t think he is ready for MLS yet. I really hope he proves me wrong because like I said he has loads of skill . Moreover, yes definitely take Pasher over Nelson at the Gold Cup I have liked what I have seen from him when he has played with Houston this year , probably the best Houston player on the field in the games he has played in .

17 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Here's a thought after watching today's game

Would Canada qualify for the Euro Cup? My answer is maybe

Let’s try and qualify for the final 8 first lol it’s been how long since we made the final round? Yes I know we only have Haiti in front of us of making the final round , but it’s been what over 22ish years since we made that round , one step at a time , yes we have some very exciting and capable players but with our history I’m not taking anything for granted here and I’ll be sweating and on the edge of my seat right up until the final whistle in the second game.

Edited by SoccMan

18 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

We need to get Tabla going again. If that means jump starting his career in the Gold Cup over an 18 year old who will be with us for a decade, let’s do it.  Tabla isn’t good enough to have endless chances, but he did well at the Olympic Q and deserves at least one more shot to show he can contribute at he CMNT level. He is younger than Johnson, Kennedy, ... and if he matures and turns talent into performance he will help us in the long run.

I dont believe it's the national team's job to pump up a player's tires to better his career.

If Tabla wants to play for CMNT, earn the spot by being good for his club first.

Otherwise it cheapens the value of being called up, when other players seems someone that doesnt deserve a spot getting the call.

Under normal circumstances I agree.  But unless we are sending the gunners to the Gold Cup to try and win the thing, we can use this tournament to try and cap tie some players and fill out our depth by inviting Tabla, Ferreira, ...

Most on this board were pleading with Tabla to join Canada a few short years ago. And again he looked good at the Olympic qualifiers.

7 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Under normal circumstances I agree.  But unless we are sending the gunners to the Gold Cup to try and win the thing, we can use this tournament to try and cap tie some players and fill out our depth by inviting Tabla, Ferreira, ...

Most on this board were pleading with Tabla to join Canada a few short years ago. And again he looked good at the Olympic qualifiers.

If he can't break into Montreal's lineup, why should we gift him a call-up in our deepest position? Imo he needs to get his club situation figured out before being considered for any national callups.

9 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Did he look good in our Olympic qualifiers? Maybe I'm forgetting plays, but I don't remember him ever looking dangerous. Did he score any goals? Have any assists? Create any chances? Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I thought he was pretty invisible.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Did he look good in our Olympic qualifiers? Maybe I'm forgetting plays, but I don't remember him ever looking dangerous. Did he score any goals? Have any assists? Create any chances? Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I thought he was pretty invisible.

I had Tabla among the players that had a good but not great OQ tournament.  He was involved in a fair bit of our attacking play and almost scored what would have been a key goal against Honduras.  Along with Cornelius and Godinho, I thought he did fairly well. Tajon was on another level though.  

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

There are a lot of posters on this forum who, for whatever reason, have turned his performance at the Oly qualifiers from “average at best” to “good”. He got the assist on Tajon’s first goal but other than that was slow, displayed poor touch, had many giveaways and couldn’t score on two golden opportunities right in front of goal. Maybe he had a few other good moments but I think your bar would have to be quite low to come away from this tournament with optimism about his play.

4 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Would be so cool if we could manage an invite to copa america 2024. They've clearly been opened to inviting outside teams in the past and with us holding some WC matches cup 2 years later I think we'd have a good argument. It would be a fantastic test as well.

Yeah well CONMEBOL have invited teams from CONCACAF and AFC to Copa America in the past so if Canada were to get an invite, then I say that's great. I mean USA and Mexico have both gotten invites in the recent past as other teams like Japan and Australia.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:28 PM, SpursFlu said:

I'm pretty excited for the Gold Cup. If we get to the Octagon. I would like Davies and David take a rest. Seeing what Corbeanu, Millar, Tajon could do with a start would be exciting 

Only if they want too. It should be their decision. Especially Davies, who had lots of time off as he fought for his position. 

Around them, some other regular should be given time off. But having our best two players, if they want too come, with some younger players could be beneficial. 

Maybe Jebbison or Dias accepts the call to play with Davies/David... who knows! 

We haven't lost Jebbison to England, or Dias to Portugal. If they do end up picking those nations they end up picking those nations. We are creating talent and the majority is picking Canada right now. That tide has turned. 

More so, while it hurts seeing the likes of the Baldisimo, Telfer, maybe Singh picking other nations the reality is our program is in a stronger place where that will become much more common. There are going to be a lot of players, especially in the CPL that will find avenues for international football they simply won't get in our program anymore. 

Time will tell on Flores, Jebbison and Dias etc. but we need to find a way to get over it and concentrate on those that want to play for us. We are producing quality players now more than ever. There will always be the ones that get away, it's the same for even the top 10 nations. We have turned the corner though and with the CPL and eventual Pyramid completion with D2 and D3 across the board things are only going to get better. 

@toontownman to add, it’s a testament to Canada that these duals are being considered more often than before. 

So you’re right, as we get better as nation - it’ll only mean that some guys will be overlooked/surplus and will be options for other nations.

It’s bittersweet/ it is what it is... my only hope is that they get a look within our program before being deemed surplus.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I just notice this, we better be careful on how we handle our young players. We lost Jebbison to england and maybe Dias to Portugal and now Matthew Baldismo to the Philippines, his brother and Chung could be next. 

0B73244C-7C9B-4649-A4D6-0BECE012A288.jpeg

To be perfectly honest, do we really care if a player picks The Philippines over us? 

Just now, SpecialK said:

Well if we had a real youth program, with good coaches and drive to win at major tournaments we would have them part of the Canadian program from youth to senior. 

Who do you think he’s better than in the 20-23 bracket?

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Who do you think he’s better than in the 20-23 bracket?

I’m not talking about him exactly but others. Like if we had a real youth program with a pro coaches and friendlies vs world best and going tournaments. We could have Dias, Jebbison, Flores and others all playing together. They would choice Canada  knowing we are serious about winning and they can win us and go to world cups and do well. Now we have wait and pray they choice us.

we don’t play friendlies vs world best

we don’t have pro coaches

We don’t go to youth tournaments and when we do it’s a joke.

A positive for that own goal in the Haiti game by the Canadian goalkeeper playing for Haiti. It might make Mexico think twice about capping Flores, because for all they know Flores might just commit for a long con to eventually do the same for Canada in a crucial World Cup Qualifier.

The conspiracy is real people!