General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

3 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

What is the rule, if you don't mind my asking?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was easier to find than I thought.

So if Jebbison came over for the Gold Cup, he could "cap himself" at 3 games and still qualify for a transfer to England if they want him in a few years? 

But Lucas Dias could not because there's only 2 1/2 years before he turns 21?

Or is it they can transfer at any time if they are under 21 and less than 3 games?

If you are under 21 when you play your 3 or less games, you can still switch after being inactive internationally for 3 years. Tomori was not eligible still under this rule though since he was already 21 when he played. HOWEVER, the rule that you have to be under 21 when you played was changed to only include players who played after September 2020. So since Tomori played in November 2019, even though he was already 21 when he played, he is eligible to switch in November 2022 if he doesn’t play for England again before then.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

If you are under 21 when you play your 3 or less games, you can still switch after being inactive internationally for 3 years. Tomori was not eligible still under this rule though since he was already 21 when he played. HOWEVER, the rule that you have to be under 21 when you played was changed to only include players who played after September 2020. So since Tomori played in November 2019, even though he was already 21 when he played, he is eligible to switch in November 2022 if he doesn’t play for England again before then.

So Yankov could technically switch if he stopped playing now in 2023 cause he's under 21? 

Harry Maguire (28), John Stones (27), Kyle Waker (31), Tyrone Mings(28), Connor Coady (28), Ben White (23), Ben Godfrey (23, Eric Dier (27), Michael Keane (28), Joe Gomez (24)  are all ahead of him at the moment.

That's a lot! 

However the reality is the 3 match windows, meaning bigger squads, 5 subs remain, which mean a lot of squad rotation. I can see him being called in at some point, reason why it would be important for us to stay active with him. 

Kennedy & Tomori .....my lord

6 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

So Yankov could technically switch if he stopped playing now in 2023 cause he's under 21? 

He's now up to 6 games played for Bulgaria.  He's gone.  His loss in my opinion but we are getting so deep that he may reach more caps for Bulgaria in a couple years than he would for an entire career with Canada.  Assuming he doesn't progress much more than where he currently is.

Edited by Corazon

7 minutes ago, Corazon said:

He's now up to 6 games played for Bulgaria.  He's gone.  His loss in my opinion but we are getting so deep that he may reach more caps for Bulgaria in a couple years than he would for an entire career with Canada.  Assuming he doesn't progress much more than where he currently is.

4 of those games are friendlies which do not count. 

I personally don't care about him, just trying to understand the rule fully! 

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Harry Maguire (28), John Stones (27), Kyle Waker (31), Tyrone Mings(28), Connor Coady (28), Ben White (23), Ben Godfrey (23, Eric Dier (27), Michael Keane (28), Joe Gomez (24)  are all ahead of him at the moment.

That's a lot! 

However the reality is the 3 match windows, meaning bigger squads, 5 subs remain, which mean a lot of squad rotation. I can see him being called in at some point, reason why it would be important for us to stay active with him. 

Kennedy & Tomori .....my lord

Walker is a right back and old. There's nothing elite at CB for England. Gomez healthy is probably the best out of the bunch and he had a major injury. Id be stunned if tomori isn't called up in the next year. Eric Dier? Lol he's so bad. Coady is only good in a back three. 

17 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Walker is a right back and old. There's nothing elite at CB for England. Gomez healthy is probably the best out of the bunch and he had a major injury. Id be stunned if tomori isn't called up in the next year. Eric Dier? Lol he's so bad. Coady is only good in a back three. 

Walker is a RB but can most definitely play CB. Since when was 31 old for a CB?
I agree that their CB's are the best, but reality is Tomori wasn't even listed in the provisional roster. 

Euros this year, WC next year...I can't see things changing drastically for him. Even moreso to the fact he's out of the PL.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

Being a Canadian soccer fan is an amazing f*cking ride man!

14 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

What is the rule, if you don't mind my asking?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was easier to find than I thought.

So if Jebbison came over for the Gold Cup, he could "cap himself" at 3 games and still qualify for a transfer to England if they want him in a few years? 

But Lucas Dias could not because there's only 2 1/2 years before he turns 21?

Or is it they can transfer at any time if they are under 21 and less than 3 games?

Anybody who plays in the Gold Cup, as a confederation championship finals tournament, is permanently tied to Canada, regardless of age or how long they wait between caps. Same with anybody who plays in a World Cup. 

On your other point, they can change associations at any age, as long as they haven't exceeded 3 caps, none of those caps came after they turned 21 or at a continental championship or world cup finals, and the period since their last cap is 3 years or longer.

15 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

He's only played two official matches. 

It doesn't matter whether official or not. 

"was fielded in no more than three matches at “A” international level in any kind of football for his current association, whether in an official competition or non-official competition:"

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/commentary-on-the-rules-governing-eligibility-to-participate-for-representative-.pdf?cloudid=ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi

pg 31.

But getting to the Octo...already made my predictions yesterday about who my 8 teams would be which are:

USA, Mexico, Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica, Canada, El Salvador and Panama

But that being said how do I think the Octo plays out:

- Mexico in pole position in 1st place qualifying directly for Qatar

- USA gets redemption for 2018 and they qualify directly for Qatar in 2nd place

- Costa Rica qualifies yet again but doing so in the 3rd place spot

- For that 4th place playoff spot I think Canada gets that spot and we go on to the intercontinental play off representing CONCACAF and with the Intercontinental playoff we could face either an Asian team from AFC or a team from South America (CONMEBOL)

Seriously, when are they going to determine which confederations play which in the intercontinental playoffs? Are they waiting to see which nations are in it to try to get rid of whichever ones they don't want? Like "ew, Curacao made it to the playoff, let's put them against the South Americans so they don't make it, and China is in for Asia, so let's put them against New Zealand to give them a shot."

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

Seriously, when are they going to determine which confederations play which in the intercontinental playoffs? Are they waiting to see which nations are in it to try to get rid of whichever ones they don't want? Like "ew, Curacao made it to the playoff, let's put them against the South Americans so they don't make it, and China is in for Asia, so let's put them against New Zealand to give them a shot."

There is no way a reputable organization like FIFA would try to stage-manage things like that...

🙄

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is no way a reputable organization like FIFA would try to stage-manage things like that...

🙄

FIFA is usually on the level when it comes to draws like that.

Concacaf on the other hand would definitely doctor it.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

FIFA claims it is a random draw, but in fact they follow a rotation pattern:

2006: Concacaf v. Asia

2010: Concacaf v. Conmebol

2014: Concacaf v. Oceania

2018: Concacaf v. Asia

Given the above, I believe we can all expect Concacaf to "draw" Conmebol in the intercontinental playoff.  Peru, Chile, Paraguay or Ecuador are the likely opponents.

Bottom line, should we get past Haiti, we will need to finish top 3 and directly qualify.  Sneaking in via the intercontinental playoff this cycle will be exceedingly tough.  

Edited by BrennanFan

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

FIFA claims it is a random draw, but in fact they follow a rotation pattern:

2006: Concacaf v. Asia

2010: Concacaf v. Conmebol

2014: Concacaf v. Oceania

2018: Concacaf v. Asia

Given the above, I believe we can all expect Concacaf to "draw" Conmebol in the intercontinental playoff.  Peru, Chile, Paraguay or Ecuador are the likely opponents.

Bottom line, should we get past Haiti, we will need to finish top 3 and directly qualify.  Sneaking in via the intercontinental playoff is cycle would be exceedingly tough.  

If it is CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL Canada going up against Peru, Chile, Paraguay or Ecuador...any of those matches on paper would be tough match ups but match ups I would pay to see

I figured I would put this out during this current break from MLS.

Player Team Position GP GS MP G A
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver ST 7 7 630 1 1
Richie Laryea Toronto RB 7 7 630 1 0
Alistair Johnston Nashville RB 7 7 630 0 0
Mark Anthony Kaye Los Angeles CM 7 7 601 0 1
Cristian Gutierrez Vancouver LB 6 6 540 0 2
Kamal Miller Montreal CB 6 6 540 0 0
Tesho Akindele Orlando ST 7 7 537 2 2
Tajon Buchanan New England RW 8 6 478 1 1
Russell Teibert Vancouver CM 6 6 462 0 0
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal RB 5 5 410 1 2
Samuel Piette Montreal CM 5 4 384 0 2
Ayo Akinola Toronto ST 6 4 323 1 0
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver CM 5 2 300 0 0
Jay Chapman Miami CM 6 3 279 0 0
Joel Waterman Montreal CB 3 3 258 0 0
Tyler Pasher Houston ST 4 3 256 1 1
Luke Singh Toronto CB 3 2 225 1 0
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto LW 5 2 208 1 0
Ralph Priso Toronto CM 4 3 196 0 0
Zorhan Bassong Montreal LB 5 1 192 0 1
Clement Bayiha Montreal RB 4 2 188 0 0
Derek Cornelious Vancouver CB 4 1 140 0 0
Noble Okello Toronto CM 3 2 132 0 0
Jayden Nelson Toronto RW 3 2 113 0 0
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal CM 2 1 111 0 0
Ryan Raposo Vancouver CM 7 1 104 0 1
Liam Fraser Columbus (from Toronto) CM 3 0 87 0 0
Jonathan Osorio Toronto CM 2 1 84 1 0
Jordan Peruzza Toronto (to San Antonio) ST 1 0 45 0 0
Raheem Edwards Los Angeles LW 3 0 42 0 0
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Toronto CM 2 0 35 0 1
Kamron Habibullah Vancouver CM 2 0 30 0 0
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver ST 1 0 26 0 0
Theo Bair Vancouver ST 2 0 15 0 0
Ashtone Morgan Salt Lake LB 1 0 14 0 0
Patrick Metcalfe Vancouver CM 1 0 1 0 0
Damiano Pecile Vancouver (to Venezia) CM          
Simon Colyn Vancouver (to SPAL) CM          
Gianfranco Facchineri Vancouver CB          
Rocco Romeo Toronto CB          
Julian Dunn-Johnson Toronto CB          
Sean Rea Montreal (to Valour FC) CM          
Tomas Giraldo Montreal (to FC Edmonton) CM          
Karifa Yao Montreal (to Cavalry FC) CB          
Keesean Ferdinand Montreal (to Atletico Ottawa) CB          
Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla Montreal ST          
Jean-Aniel Assi Montreal ST          
Nathan-Dylan Saliba Montreal CM          
Rida Zouhir Montreal C          
Callum Montgomery Minnesota CB          

Player Team Position GP GS MP S GA
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver GK 7 7 630 22 9
Dayne St Clair Minnesota GK 4 4 360 11 10
James Pantemis Montreal GK 1 1 90 1 0
Thomas Hasal Vancouver GK          
Greg Ranjitsingh Philadelphia GK          
Jonathan Sirois Montreal (to Valour FC) GK          
Isaac Boehmer Vancouver GK          
Sebastian Breza Montreal (from Bologna) GK          

If anyone knows any Canadian players that I have missed from the USL Championship, please let me know.

Player Current Club Position GP GS MP G A
Ryan James Birmingham Legion FC Defender 7 7 630 0 1
Aidan Daniels Oklahoma City Energy Midfielder 7 7 606 0 0
Malik Johnson Real Monarchs Midfielder 6 6 444 0 1
Jordan Hamilton Indy Eleven Forward 7 4 423 3 0
Skylar Thomas Memphis 901 FC Defender 4 4 360 0 0
Karl Ouimette Indy Eleven Defender 5 4 347 1 0
Kembo Kibato FC Tulsa Midfielder 5 3 285 0 0
Adonijah Reid Miami FC Forward 5 1 151 1 0
Massimo Ferrin Loudon FC United Forward 4 1 126 0 0
Matthew Srbely Tampa Bay Rowdies Midfielder 3 1 95 0 0
Ashtone Morgan Real Monarchs Defender 1 1 90 0 0
Dayonn Harris Tampa Bay Rowdies Midfielder 3 1 78 0 0
Jordan Peruzza San Antonio Forward 3 0 62 1 0
Zachary Ellis-Hayden Oklahoma City Energy Defender 3 0 42 0 0
Carl Haworth Indy Eleven Defender          

Player Team Position GP GS MP S GA
Sean Melvin Colorado Springs Switchbacks Goalkeeper 1 1 90 1 1
Edited by Corazon

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It doesn't matter whether official or not. 

"was fielded in no more than three matches at “A” international level in any kind of football for his current association, whether in an official competition or non-official competition:"

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/commentary-on-the-rules-governing-eligibility-to-participate-for-representative-.pdf?cloudid=ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi

pg 31.

Cool thanks. The source I was looking at said official matches, but yours is obviously correct since it is FIFA. 

So now, with this rule change, friendlies even become important which is good. I didn't like that someone could play a bunch of friendlies and still transfer.