Stephen Eustaquio

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I’m sorry Arfield ahead of Oso is every way! If Hutch is still playing it should Arfield, Hutch and Eustaquio. But what a great debate to have Oso or Kaye. 

Same for me, with the busy schedule next year, if we get Hutchinson to come back that trio trumps all

I'd love to see this

a flexible 4-2-3-1 (can't draw arrows)

------------------------------------------------David

----------------------------Davies---------Arfield-----------Hoilett

----------------------------------Eustaquio-----Hutchinson/Piette

Laryea/Adekugbe-----Cornelius---------Vitoria---------Zachary Brault-Guillard

-------------------------------------------------Borjan

Edited by Ansem

Oso is argueably better in possession than all of Arfield/Eustaquio/Atiba/Kaye, which is likely why Herdman likes to have him start. Arfield is the team's captain, and when he's in form there's no way he's not starting, and Eustaquio's club play and consistency this season and the bit of last's speak for itself. As it stands I'd argue Eustaquio and Arfield are sure starters, so the last spot is between Osorio, Kaye, or Atiba... that's a very good problem to have considering were the team was a bit less than a decade ago.

6 hours ago, lowlander said:

I watched the game on a French channel. Commentators highlighted his quality and were noting that he somehow had not made it to a bigger club (they may have been more precise than that but I missed the nuance). He made one play in particular that I loved, Sporting were chasing him back to his own half but could not get the ball from him as he twisted and turned until he had the chance to pass it back upfield. Great control and confidence in possession.

It's certainly not because he isn't capable of playing at a higher level. His injury slowed his career trajectory a bit, but it seems he is back right where he left off. Another good season with Pacos and I see him moving to a bigger club once his contract with Cruz Azul is up. The guy is a gem, and we are super fortunate to have him.

Another thing about Eustaquio, is that he seems very good at knowing where he's needed. There was a play a moment ago where he rushed back to help the CB's, and a minute later, he's running up as a secondary option on the left wing to set up a cross. He's always right where the action is.

Edited by PiedPilko

6 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Another thing about Eustaquio, is that he seems very good at knowing where he's needed. There was a play a moment ago where he rushed back to help the CB's, and a minute later, he's running up as a secondary option on the left wing to set up a cross. He's always right where the action is.

Playing pretty well so far. You're right, he shows good positional awareness.

Mentioned here before but his other big attribute is his quickness with the ball and making forward passes. He's not the kind of DM that only plays side to side.

4 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Playing pretty well so far. You're right, he shows good positional awareness.

Mentioned here before but his other big attribute is his quickness with the ball and making forward passes. He's not the kind of DM that only plays side to side.

I don't know if I'm too excited about him, but he's just so consistent with this. Like, if he wants to pass it to so and so, no matter where he's ventured to, he just does it. 

Edited by PiedPilko

Just now, PiedPilko said:

I don't know if I'm too excited about him, but he's just so consistent

Naw, this is normal for him. Been watching him regularly since Chaves days. There's a reason why some of the top teams were looking at him.

Only a handful of games to this season, but he looks more fit and seemed to shrug off some of the rust of not playing for a long time. He has looked very good so far.

I was posting in the Canadians Abroad thread after watching the Pacos 1-0 loss but Eustaquio is a lock for a starting mid position and you fill in the others around him.  He's such a smart, efficient player.  Always makes the right pass and always puts himself in a good spot both defensively and offensively.

21 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

I was posting in the Canadians Abroad thread after watching the Pacos 1-0 loss but Eustaquio is a lock for a starting mid position and you fill in the others around him.  He's such a smart, efficient player.  Always makes the right pass and always puts himself in a good spot both defensively and offensively.

Honestly a double pivot with him and either Piette or Kaye with Osorio ahead of them works quite well. Piette when we need workrate and defense and Kaye when we need goals.

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

Honestly a double pivot with him and either Piette or Kaye with Osorio ahead of them works quite well. Piette when we need workrate and defense and Kaye when we need goals.

regardless whether Canada needs to defend or attack, Eustaquio is a lock in the XI... need to score? He'll find your number 9. Need to defend? He'll set off a counter attack.

I think it's been noted that he's not great at tackling. I did notice, in the last game though, that he kinda tries to compensate. He does this thing where he rushes into a tackle, and tries to spin himself out with the ball. Wish I had a clip of it. 

Edited by PiedPilko

7 hours ago, Corazon said:

Here's his highlights from his first 3 games of the season.  Give it a watch and I would love to hear anyone tell me he isn't a lock in our starting 11.

No disrespect to our MLS midfielders but damn, Eustaquio looks like a class above these guys. I've only streamed one of his games but from what I've seen his vision, overall awareness, and passing are incredible.

7 hours ago, Corazon said:

Here's his highlights from his first 3 games of the season.  Give it a watch and I would love to hear anyone tell me he isn't a lock in our starting 11.

At 3:13, ye. Never seen anything like that, lol. If that's what works for him, it would make his game even more complete.

Getting injured in his first weeks at Cruz Azul and then coaching change I think will put a damper on the expectation of him as a player. 

I know I've said this before but I will say it again, before his big move to Cruz Azul he was a member of that Portugal U21 squad that included Thierry Correia (Valencia), Ruben Vinagre (Wolves), Gedson (Tottenham), Dioga Jota (Liverpool), Rafael Leao (AC Milan) & Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid) and other high quality players.  He was a regular starter in the midfield in this squad.  I suspect he will make a decent move to a bigger club once his contract ends with Cruz Azul.  I think we got a real talented player here and he seems to be a level above many of his team mates on this current Pacos squad.

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

I think it's been noted that he's not great at tackling. I did notice, in the last game though, that he kinda tries to compensate. He does this thing where he rushes into a tackle, and tries to spin himself out with the ball. Wish I had a clip of it. 

He's no pitbull but I don't think he's afraid to get stuck in.  I think his best defensive characteristic is his ability to read a play.  Some players are better at reading out passes and plays and he seems to defensive know where to be to intercept a pass or win a ball.

His passing, decision making and his vision on the field speak for itself.  He pulls off some passes in a split second.  He can spray a ball across a field.  He can thread a pass in tight areas and he seems to know where people are or where they are going to be.  Excellent qualities in a distributing midfielder.

Edited by Corazon

I think if you look at the strengths of the team and the platforms herdman wants to play. You’d have

Cavallini.    Davies

Arefield

Kaye       Hutch

davies.                                                  Lareya

Miller.   Henry.   James

Borjan. 

1 hour ago, top cheese said:

I think if you look at the strengths of the team and the platforms herdman wants to play. You’d have

Cavallini.    Davies

Arefield

Kaye       Hutch

Miller.   Henry.   James

Borjan. 

I would love to have two Davies.😉
Switch Cavallini for Larin, and Miller for Cornelius and I like it.

7 hours ago, top cheese said:

Cavallini.    Davies

Arefield

Kaye       Hutch

Miller.   Henry.   James

Borjan. 

No Eustaquio?