Stephen Eustaquio

16 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

I think he'll work great with David.  Right now, with Lille, a lot of David's runs into space aren't being recognized and Eustacio will find him for sure.

Agree.  And a guy like Oso fits into that scenario well too. Likes to play through the middle and can thread passes through the lines.  

God I want us to play a game. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

Atiba and JDG were  strong and skilled on the ball ..helpful with the high press we often see when playing strong Concacaf teams.  Eustaquio has that and a very quick release. In his first highlights video it was evident  he had that quality and yesterday's volley pass to the RW which ended in Stephen scoring was a glimpse of how he could spring Davies and David on the break.

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

yesterday's volley pass to the RW which ended in Stephen scoring was a glimpse of how he could spring Davies and David on the break.

Yes! This must have been thought by all of us as we watched the highlights. 

He’s an absolute lock for the XI, as Davies and David, anytime he’s called up. 

21 hours ago, Shway said:

I find it weird that there was a lot of mentions that’s “he’s our for sure starter” or “our now and future”.......who did you guys have in front of him?

Piette lol?

Of course he’s that guy.

Just like how some were writing off Arfield as past his prime.  Eustaquio, the double d's and Arfield are the 4 automatic starters regardless of the formation we use.  Laryea and Borjan are probably next along with Hutch depending on the opponent and if he shows up.  

8 hours ago, costarg said:

Just like how some were writing off Arfield as past his prime.  Eustaquio, the double d's and Arfield are the 4 automatic starters regardless of the formation we use.  Laryea and Borjan are probably next along with Hutch depending on the opponent and if he shows up.  

Point taken, but quite the compliment to put him in that group and effectively suggest he is ahead of Hoilett. He just may be, he’s been that good this season. The fact he can play full back as well as midfield means he probably starts 9/10 times for us now. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Point taken, but quite the compliment to put him in that group and effectively suggest he is ahead of Hoilett. He just may be, he’s been that good this season. The fact he can play full back as well as midfield means he probably starts 9/10 times for us now. 

Estaquiao is a mid so he isn't in the same discussion as Hoilett. If he isn't injured or there's some travel or other logistical issues that would prevent him from joining the national team, he's an automatic starter.  It's not that hard to find a stream of a Pacos game and if you just focus on him for a half or so, you'll appreciate how good he is right now.

It probably took him a bit longer to come back from this knee surgery but every player's different.  Last season with Pacos, he looked a bit tentative going into 50-50 balls but he's completely elevated his game this season. 

Cruz Azul paid almost $4M for him and for the life of me, I can't understand why they only signed him to the end of the 2021 season.  They're not going to get anything close to that unless Estaquiao agrees to an extension but his agent should insist on a couple of million dollars extension bonus or he'll just leave on a free transfer next June.

7 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Estaquiao is a mid so he isn't in the same discussion as Hoilett. If he isn't injured or there's some travel or other logistical issues that would prevent him from joining the national team, he's an automatic starter.  It's not that hard to find a stream of a Pacos game and if you just focus on him for a half or so, you'll appreciate how good he is right now.

It probably took him a bit longer to come back from this knee surgery but every player's different.  Last season with Pacos, he looked a bit tentative going into 50-50 balls but he's completely elevated his game this season. 

Cruz Azul paid almost $4M for him and for the life of me, I can't understand why they only signed him to the end of the 2021 season.  They're not going to get anything close to that unless Estaquiao agrees to an extension but his agent should insist on a couple of million dollars extension bonus or he'll just leave on a free transfer next June.

Was referring to Laryea, but I get your confusion. This is an Eustáquio thread.

99.9999% sure he is not extending with Cruz Azul. Good, I hope they get nothing for him, and there will be suitors (Pacos themselves will likely be interested in ensuring his services for a bit longer... even if to at least get some sort of transfer fee for him shortly after)

Aside from getting a bonus in the event of a transfer, he doesn’t have much reason to re-sign.   He doesn’t owe the club anything and he would be a more attractive prospect for a better team if he could go on a free transfer.   He know CA has no intention of of playing him.   I guess they could threaten to force him to sit out a year by not loaning him, but that would be really extreme.   

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

Only reason I mention him ahead of Hoilett is that Hoilett doesn't fit all formations.  For example, Hoilett doesn't really fit the Herdman 4-2-2-2 or if we go with a 3-5-2/3-4-3 as well.  Any other formation, yes, Hoilett is in there.  

However what ever formation I can think of Laryea is in the 11.

21 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Eustaquio’s most recent highlight video from Instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHDMGDvD1bd/?igshid=fjkevfdbr0ub

Good lord this man can ball. No doubt about it, he could have stayed with Portugal and played for them... unlike Ferreira.

He's sort of like a Michael Bradley. I can't wait to see him lead our midfield.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Good lord this man can ball. No doubt about it, he could have stayed with Portugal and played for them... unlike Ferreira.

He's sort of like a Michael Bradley. I can't wait to see him lead our midfield.

In the highlights, Estaquiao's long passes to spring players will get most of the attention but equally impressive is his ability to make the simple pass out of pressure.  He's probably the rondo superstar of the current Canadian team.

I don't know what Bradley was like in Europe but peak Bradley with TFC didn't have the vision and one-touch passing of Estaquiao.  Estaquiao knows where the ball is going before it gets to him while Bradley needs a touch or two unless it's something obvious.

18 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

In the highlights, Estaquiao's long passes to spring players will get most of the attention but equally impressive is his ability to make the simple pass out of pressure.  He's probably the rondo superstar of the current Canadian team.

I don't know what Bradley was like in Europe but peak Bradley with TFC didn't have the vision and one-touch passing of Estaquiao.  Estaquiao knows where the ball is going before it gets to him while Bradley needs a touch or two unless it's something obvious.

Yeah, Eustaquio seems to have the edge in technique but Bradley may have the edge physically.

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah, Eustaquio seems to have the edge in technique but Bradley may have the edge physically.

What physical edge? He’s not strong on the ball - and won tackles, are simply won tackles.

As a TFC fan, I’ve never said Bradley was physical, he was always technical.

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There are many ways to win the ball. For Eustaquio its quick reactions and body positioning and it's effective. His 1/2 touch football is a treat to watch. Trying to think if we have ever had a player like him?

Probably peak JDG in La Liga

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don't know if ability to read a game defensively falls under technique but Bradley is guilty of a few bad reads a game throughout his TFC career except that he had the speed to recover when he first came over.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is about the closest comparison that I could think of as well - a defensively minded mid with good tight ball control and vision for passing.  

JDG was Kante-lite. Didn't read the game as well defensively, slightly better offensively and without the extra set of lungs that Kante has.