Stephen Eustaquio

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Here's an interesting stat. Stephen, a defensive midfielder, leads his team in scoring with 2 goals. He is actually tied with the striker Tanque for goals but also has an assist. 

I like Pacos. I think Pepa is a really good manager, who knows what everyone excels at. They might not have the most talent, but everyone sorta chips in. They're clearly good at keeping play out of dangerous areas and grinding out wins. They have some real gems in Eustaquio and Luther Singh, who both should move on to better places in the future. I really hope he can get them to Europe though! Pacos seem to be every Liga Nos fan's second favourite team. 

Pacos blow their lead and lose 2-1 vs Benfica. Eustaquio was solid in the first half, but just didn't do much in the 2nd. I think he's being told to tone it down on the switches, cause he's been doing a lot less of that lately. He's still a very effective short passer, but those really add another dimension to his game when he has the opportunity. 

On a positive note, he is really improving defensively.

3 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Pacos blow their lead and lose 2-1 vs Benfica. Eustaquio was solid in the first half, but just didn't do much in the 2nd. I think he's being told to tone it down on the switches, cause he's been doing a lot less of that lately. He's still a very effective short passer, but those really add another dimension to his game when he has the opportunity. 

On a positive note, he is really improving defensively.

Made a slick pass to a player that should have made it 2-0 Ferreira but it wasn't to be. It was really looking like they were going to hold on but the heartbreaker last second goal saved Benfica 

Edited by JuicyHam

1 hour ago, JuicyHam said:

Made a slick pass that to a player that should have made it 2-0 Ferreira but it wasn't to be. It was really looking like they were going to hold on but the heartbreaker last second goal saved Benfica 

Yeah, even when he's not at his best, he's always dangerous. In the first half, he did that back heel in the box, and that through ball that led to a counter. 

3 hours ago, JuicyHam said:

Made a slick pass to a player that should have made it 2-0 Ferreira but it wasn't to be. It was really looking like they were going to hold on but the heartbreaker last second goal saved Benfica 

Pacos has a few forwards who seem to have graduated from the Jonathan Ikone school for attackers where you keep running with the ball until you fall over or you have it stripped. The Benfica goal in extra time resulted from such a turnover. 

On 11/27/2020 at 5:28 PM, Ansem said:

Since he gets to walk for free if Cruz Azul don't sell him this winter, smart of him to listen to offers

As per Carlos Cordova (of Televisa, and the most connected media member to Cruz Azul), Eustaquio is under contract with Cruz Azul until December 2021. The plan right now is that Cruz Azul will continue loan out Eustaquio to Pacos into the new year.

Keep in mind Cruz Azul is a bit of a tire fire right now, so not sure how that might affect this situation. But if I had to guess, there wouldn't likely be a permanent move for Eustaquio until the summer transfer window at the least. I'm sure Cruz Azul will want to maximize on their investment. Keeping Eustaquio in Liga NOS to finish out the season, presumably at the continued high level pace he's been performing at, should accomplish that for Cruz Azul.

Not sure if Pacos then is a viable option at that point; but perhaps Pacos will loosen the purse strings to get Eustaquio permanently if they qualify for Europa.

Well Pacos are getting killed, but Eustaquio had a good half. Played a great longball that sprung Amaral on a 1-on-1, that he completely blew. 

Still, I don't really understand what Pacos are doing with him. He used to be their go-to guy to get the ball to the next third, and he hasn't had much of a chance lately. I hope they go back to that, cause they clearly generating more chances.

Edited by PiedPilko

46 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Well Pacos are getting killed, but Eustaquio had a good half. Played a great longball that sprung Amaral on a 1-on-1, that he completely blew. 

Still, I don't really understand what Pacos are doing with him. He used to be their go-to guy to get the ball to the next third, and he hasn't had much of a chance lately. I hope they go back to that, cause they clearly generating more chances.

If you ever think to post a quick note when a game is coming up, I would appreciate it.  I forget to hunt these down but would try to find a stream if I knew in advance they were playing. 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If you ever think to post a quick note when a game is coming up, I would appreciate it.  I forget to hunt these down but would try to find a stream if I knew in advance they were playing. 

You can follow them on an app like fotmob and get notifications whenever they play. 

I'm just curious because Eustaquio might be my favourite midfielder now... if these Porto/Sporting rumors are true, it would probably be at the end of his contract rather than the upcoming transfer window, right? Sporting's manager, at least, made it sound like he wanted Stephen as a substitute, and they're already pretty clogged up at midfield. 

Then again, Cruz Azul spent millions on him, right? You'd think they would want something for him, rather than just letting him walk away for free. 

Edited by PiedPilko

2 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I'm just curious because Eustaquio might be my favourite midfielder now... if these Porto/Sporting rumors are true, it would probably be at the end of his contract rather than the upcoming transfer window, right? Sporting's manager, at least,[b] made it sound like he wanted Stephen as a substitute, and they're already pretty clogged up at midfield. [/b]

Then again, Cruz Azul spent millions on him, right? You'd think they would want something for him, rather than just letting him walk away for free. 

I think in that context it means more like 'replacement'

31 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think in that context it means more like 'replacement'

Joao Mario is on loan from Inter Milan until the end of season.  So that could make sense. 

(Decent player when he was at our -West Ham - place but not worth what Inter paid and seem to want for him. Why buying off international tournaments is bad, for clubs at least, I am sure agents love it.)