CPL General

15 hours ago, Cblake said:

I have huge doubts for a CPL season any time soon. Unfortunately Canada is largely screwed due to the situation in the US, it needs to be contained there before anything remotely resembling normal life can restart in Canada. Essential travel only or not, there is simply too much integration to not be constantly importing cases. Just do not think the risk is worth it even if we have seen a downturn in cases here. I think we need to see 14 days of no cases being reported to truly return to normalcy. 

UEFA are already planning to resume seasons around july/august and play behind closed doors.

Don't see why CPL can't do it too if we somewhat get some control. The US doesn't factor as much since the league is independent from their system. All the players are here in isolation, non-essential travels has been banned.

If it gets better here and its armageddon down there, it's not like CPL will stay put "out of respect" to the americans

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

If it gets better here and its armageddon down there, it's not like CPL will stay put "out of respect" to the americans

I think @Cblake‘s point was that if there is Armageddon in the USA we won’t be capable of being over it here. For example, if Detroit is hit hard and Canadians in Windsor are working in Detroit hospitals and bringing the virus back here with them. Truck drivers bringing goods over the border, etc.

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

UEFA are already planning to resume seasons around july/august and play behind closed doors.

Don't see why CPL can't do it too if we somewhat get some control. The US doesn't factor as much since the league is independent from their system. All the players are here in isolation, non-essential travels has been banned.

Our economies are so integrated with the supply chain and the fact that we share a large border. I really do not see Canada opening up for regular business that much ahead of the US if the virus is still causing havoc down south. The integration will assure that. We have essential workers crossing the border every day and the certainly is a huge risk. 

Plus I wonder how the CPL would handle it if their import players can not get into the country? I know the MLS teams asked their players to stay around their home market but there was nothing stopping a player at the time from jumping on a plane back to their home country if they were concerned about family etc. There are lots of aspects to this that will simply do not know at this point. 

On 3/29/2020 at 1:12 AM, Cblake said:

I have huge doubts for a CPL season any time soon. Unfortunately Canada is largely screwed due to the situation in the US, it needs to be contained there before anything remotely resembling normal life can restart in Canada. Essential travel only or not, there is simply too much integration to not be constantly importing cases. Just do not think the risk is worth it even if we have seen a downturn in cases here. I think we need to see 14 days of no cases being reported to truly return to normalcy. 

I doubt there will be normal life for the rest of 2020. The psychology of people has/will change (d). And I doubt we will see 14 days of no cases this year in Canada as the virus will likely cycle back in the fall and it will remain alive in the other countries till a vaccine comes.

So the season will have to be cancelled. Or they'll need to do mitigating strategies.

Games are likely to be played in empty stadiums. Players & staff will need to self-isolate together with regular health screens like they kinda do in pre-season training. Chinese basketball league is planning to cluster teams in one or two cities and playing one another in a round-robin format in empty arenas. Though they have kept on delaying the start - now set for late April/May.

Any fans will need to pass a health screen (at least temperature) to get in or everyone will get a health card designation that determines what you can do or not (China has done this). Or an app will track who has recovered, has mild symptoms etc.. which is what SK & Singapore have done but would breach privacy in Canada.

If the US remains a basketcase in June, then the current only essential people can travel to the States and elsewhere will continue. No more going on cruises or cruise ship docking in Canada allowed. Any other remaining Canadians returning from anywhere will need to be quarantined - ideally put up in hotels as China is doing now with returning travellers. Nursing homes will need special oversight and no employees can work in mulitple homes. People over 70 may need to continue to at least avoid any gatherings over 5. This combined with broad testing and contact tracing like Germany, SK and Taiwan has shown to be the ideal containment strategy. 

Countries like SK & Sweden haven't shutdown either even though they have neighbours who have issues. Ex elementary schools Sweden's people have largely social distanced on their own to levels comparable to Canada. Business has slowed but they're open. And SK's cases per million is only slightly lower than Canada while Sweden's is higher than Canada (but not outrageously higher).

So there are pathways for Canada to manage the situation differently  post apex in Canada and/or waiting for US or others to plank. 

Edited by red card

16 hours ago, red card said:

I doubt there will be normal life for the rest of 2020. The psychology of people has/will change (d). And I doubt we will see 14 days of no cases this year in Canada as the virus will likely cycle back in the fall and it will remain alive in the other countries till a vaccine comes.

So the season will have to be cancelled. Or they'll need to do mitigating strategies.

Games are likely to be played in empty stadiums. Players & staff will need to self-isolate together with regular health screens like they kinda do in pre-season training. Chinese basketball league is planning to cluster teams in one or two cities and playing one another in a round-robin format in empty arenas. Though they have kept on delaying the start - now set for late April/May.

Any fans will need to pass a health screen (at least temperature) to get in or everyone will get a health card designation that determines what you can do or not (China has done this). Or an app will track who has recovered, has mild symptoms etc.. which is what SK & Singapore have done but would breach privacy in Canada.

If the US remains a basketcase in June, then the current only essential people can travel to the States and elsewhere will continue. No more going on cruises or cruise ship docking in Canada allowed. Any other remaining Canadians returning from anywhere will need to be quarantined - ideally put up in hotels as China is doing now with returning travellers. Nursing homes will need special oversight and no employees can work in mulitple homes. People over 70 may need to continue to at least avoid any gatherings over 5. This combined with broad testing and contact tracing like Germany, SK and Taiwan has shown to be the ideal containment strategy. 

Countries like SK & Sweden haven't shutdown either even though they have neighbours who have issues. Ex elementary schools Sweden's people have largely social distanced on their own to levels comparable to Canada. Business has slowed but they're open. And SK's cases per million is only slightly lower than Canada while Sweden's is higher than Canada (but not outrageously higher).

So there are pathways for Canada to manage the situation differently  post apex in Canada and/or waiting for US or others to plank. 

The thing is that essential travel is quite vague based on the vast list of essential buses that the Ontario government issued. I am not sure if anyone working within a field that is deemed essential can cross the border as they are exempt from the 14 day quarantine order if not show symptoms?  Anyone have any insight on this? One story I saw today is the issue of about 1,500 nurses who live in Windsor and work in Detroit, crossing the border daily. People are questioning if this practice should even be allowed? Some suggest that they should only be allowed to come home on weekends, for the days they are off, thus being housed in the US for the days they are working, lots of moving parts here, so it will be interesting to see how this progresses. 

Mayor John Tory: “Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the City of Toronto is cancelling all city-led major events, festivals, conferences and cultural programs, and is also canceling all city permits for major events organized by external groups ... through June 30th.”

At best we get July to October season? ☹️

Great post @redcard

It is clear that mass events are the ones to avoid if you want to keep some control as we move out of the crisis stage into something manageable. So that is sporting events, concerts, nightclubs, as well as weddings or religious holidays and ceremonies. Cruise ships, mass travel to resorts.

We have to be realistic: the economy can get back on track in about 80% of sectors without leisure and pleasure. So we have to let that happen when the risk is under control, and do so by regions as well, not hinge the entire nation on one region or focal point doing badly. 

This suggests that league matches with fans is highly unadvisable. League matches without fans could work, if MediaPro and the clubs decide it is better to have some league rather than no league. But that is a question of costs. Will players consent to extreme reduction of salaries, possible isolation in certain cities or regions, and a short season, playing without fans, just to ensure that 2021 has a bit of a foothold?

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Mayor John Tory: “Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the City of Toronto is cancelling all city-led major events, festivals, conferences and cultural programs, and is also canceling all city permits for major events organized by external groups ... through June 30th.”

From the Canadian Press:

Toronto's ban on city-led events through June 30 does not prohibit sporting events at private facilities.

That means the Maple Leafs and Raptors could still play games at Scotiabank Arena, and the Blue Jays could play at the Rogers Centre.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

I don't see CPL starting the season until they're allowed fans in the stands. Granted I don't know much about the deal with Media Pro but I suspect a lot of teams revenue is largely based on ticket sales/concessions etc...

Yup - playing in empty stadiums is viable for leagues kept afloat by TV deals. But if your revenue is dependent on match day, which the CanPL likely is, playing in empty stadiums is worse than not playing at all.

I guess there is potential for fans paying to watch online. How many people would sign up to One Soccer to watch and would that money would go back to the league somehow? It is nothing in comparison to the season ticket money and revenue they would get obviously but I am imagining there are people that would sign up, certainly with the current lack of sport to watch. Lots of clubs (if not all?) threw in a OneSoccer Subscription with season tickets but surely everyone would be getting a refund on the tickets. 

Another thing regarding OneSoccer there is already talk that if the EPL goes back behind closed door they will air games free on channels everyone gets (BBC/ITV etc). It is possible there would be some pressure or agreement to air on CBC. By the time things get rolling CFL would likely be overlapping too. 

If the league was based in one city and played on the same ground that would save operating cost. They could likely play two (three at a push) games a day if they wanted. In that case though what upkeep/expense do the regular grounds need if they are unused all season and would people fly in every weekend or would there be the expense of housing everyone in that city and pulling people away from families? too many questions!

Ultimately as  @Unnamed Trialist says,  is running the league with likely very little revenue better than cancelling the year? Players will likely want to get paid so provided the health risk is low I am sure most would want that as they will likely be put on furlough at best should the season be cancelled. 

I think "Quarantine cabin fever" has set in. I just watched part of " Stone Skipping Championship" on TSN! And I thought Underwater basket weaving was boring. The next person that tells me soccer is boring I know what to answer.......😀.  BTW the winner was 20 skips and the world record is 88. Now you know. In case you were wondering.😁

Edited by MtlMario

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I think "Quarantine cabin fever" has set in. I just watched part of " Stone Skipping Championship" on TSN! And I thought Underwater basket weaving was boring. The next person that tells me soccer is boring I know what to answer.......😀.  BTW the winner was 20 skips and the world record is 88. Now you know. In case you were wondering.😁

68 off the world record... was this non-league Stone Skipping?

9 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I watched highlights of the Grand Sumo Wrestling Championships from Osaka.  Learned a lot!

For those of you who are bored as it gets, if you have DAZN, check out Garry Neville’s Soccer Box. It’s a show where he watches highlights with some of the premiership’s best, with them, and they discuss their careers etc. Really cool! Also, DAZN has a series of extended highlights and behind the scenes commentary of every champions league final since the early 90s. 

UFC 249 may be the only major sports event still happening apparently, April 18th. They are negotiating for a venue in the middle east to host with no fans (was supposed to be in NY at Barcley's). Guess they're banking on big PPV sales. Khabib vs Ferguson was the main event but Khabib has dropped out (or chickened out according to Conor Mcgregor) and there's a few lining up to replace the Dagestany fighter.

Hope it happens, desperately need some live sports to watch and this may be how we're watching major sports for the rest of the year. Will be interesting to see how it draws on PPV and other sports will be paying close attention no doubt.

Edited by CDNFootballer

28 minutes ago, Lofty said:

UFC is not the same. I want to see guys rolling on the floor clutching their faces and crying after minimal contact, not real men still standing and unfazed after getting punched in the face.

Well the Belarus Premier League has a full slate of game this weekend starting tomorrow. Streams can be found.