Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think Y9 will need to show a big uptick in fan interest in the absence of freebies before the outer fringes of MLS markets will be viewed as being in the sweet spot. David Clanachan appears to have said there will be no Vaughan stadium until they outgrow York Lions and that could take a while. The key factor that makes Halifax different from Surrey and Brampton is the presence of strong local media outlets that make CanPL a significant news story.

I agree with the take on no centralized media. But you could also flip it on its head and say while those areas may not have large traditional centralized media. What media it does have is growing would not be monopolized or preoccupied with so many other events and activities 

Edited by SpursFlu

Just now, Kent said:

This virus better not be the end of this league. I wouldn’t be able to handle the “what if’s”.

We are used to getting CONCACAF'd......but f#cked by a pandemic...maybe we are not meant to have a league.  😈

I mentioned this 25% reduction in pay to my wife (who is of course smarter than I am) and she speculated that they applied for the government wage subsidy (which pays out 75%) and the league isn’t topping it up (so the League paying zero). Of course we will probably never know for sure, but it makes sense.

Sounds like the staff and players found out about this at the same time as everyone else.  That's some poor leadership by the CPL.

And at least some of the players aren't signing off on it.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone else find it odd that the soccer media. Especially espnfc(my mainstream source. Dont have much time for english media) is constantly trying to play the players off versus the teams and vice versa. Like one or the other is wrong or right in the situation. What's up with all of this? As a fan am i not the only one who cares less. Figure it out yourselves. Why are people trying to campaign the public one way or another?

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I mentioned this 25% reduction in pay to my wife (who is of course smarter than I am) and she speculated that they applied for the government wage subsidy (which pays out 75%) and the league isn’t topping it up (so the League paying zero). Of course we will probably never know for sure, but it makes sense.

Makes sense, but the obvious question at that point would be why would the coaching staff get treated differently?

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I'll confess, I don't know how accurate this twitter account is.  But this is at least interesting, on the salary front:

A mean average for 23 players on 750k is $32.6k so the numbers in the tweet are probably more of a median or mode average. A small number of player salaries like Marcel de Jong will probably be unusually high so that makes sense.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sounds like the staff and players found out about this at the same time as everyone else.  That's some poor leadership by the CPL.

Think the players and staff should be feeling relieved it wasn't the XFL scenario at this point. Justin Trudeau talking about things possibly not getting back to normal on social gatherings for at least a year was a signal to employers that would be impacted by that to plan accordingly. In CanPL's case it implies there could be no 2020 season. We don't know what sort of red ink and cash flow issues some of the investors are facing right now in their other businesses, so the 75% thing may be a league saver, if it's a case of the government picking up the tab for now rather than the investors.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

If this is the case then a text book fit for the program, exactly what it was designed for.

Have no idea on the details of this government wage subsidy program but I'd be curious to know how a "subsidy" remains a "subsidy" if the so-called employer is contributing zero dollars to the employees paycheck.  That might be where the deferral part comes in.  In which case it can't be a infinate deferral for probably a whole boat load of legal reasons. 

Can see how a few players wouldn't be very happy though but who is these days?  Expect quite a few draw a significant portion of their income outside of their immediate base wage through various markers written into their contracts.  Appearance fees, performance targets, blah, blah, blah.  Lots of people out there make more money from their performance markers than they do from their base wage. 

Regardless, we're seeing this going on all over the world of football right now.  Players will take the deal or they won't.  The clubs will honour the contracts or release the players back into the market.  It's as harsh as that. 

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the players and staff should be feeling relieved it wasn't the XFL scenario at this point. Justin Trudeau talking about things possibly not getting back to normal on social gatherings for at least a year was a signal to employers that would be impacted by that to plan accordingly. In CanPL's case it implies there could be no 2020 season. We don't know what sort of red ink and cash flow issues some of the investors are facing right now in their other businesses, so the 75% thing may be a league saver, if it's a case of the government picking up the tab for now rather than the investors.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And at least some of the players aren't signing off on it.

What did I say about the media? And there you have it. Right on cue

15 hours ago, Kent said:

This virus better not be the end of this league. I wouldn’t be able to handle the “what if’s”.

I doubt it. Worst comes to worse, the league can pick up where it left off when things are back to normal, whenever that will be. I see no reason why they would just shut this down permanently even after things get better, 

34 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I doubt it. Worst comes to worse, the league can pick up where it left off when things are back to normal, whenever that will be. I see no reason why they would just shut this down permanently even after things get better, 

I hope you are right! Perhaps the league being in its infancy will be an advantage as expenses are still relatively modest and there are less clubs to be concerned about?

39 minutes ago, gator said:

I hope you are right! Perhaps the league being in its infancy will be an advantage as expenses are still relatively modest and there are less clubs to be concerned about?

Yes, and if it goes beyond a year, just suspend operations, wages, expenses, lease agreements, etc. 

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

Yes, and if it goes beyond a year, just suspend operations, wages, expenses, lease agreements, etc. 

And if the investors have lost lots of money in their other businesses? As much as we would like it to be, life can't just be put on pause indefinitely without any side effects. It's very possible that the CPL gets through this, but the worst case scenario is not everything going back to normal when play resumes. That's the best case scenario.

With talk of some pro sports returning in the near future, Bundesliga players back in training and possible matches returning for May, hopefully CPL can resume in July. With Trudeau not instituting a national lockdown in Canada it may be a bit longer than it otherwise would have been but a start sometime in July would be a nice target to be able to make if new cases are substantially down in the next 4-6 weeks.

Florida has been the first US state I think to include "professional sports and media production with a national audience” to the list of essential services which should help to lessen the impact somewhat on the industry. However, they will be closed to the general public which makes sense at this time.