CPL General

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Well now I understand Ted’s take. Are you just taking the piss?

No not at all. This was just my poor attempt at a light hearted joke about the ignorance of others about how good Canadian players are and the strides we've made in the last years at the professional level and obviously CPL is proof of that. 

7 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Yes, never played pro in Spain. 

If you think, in Spain there are 7 divisions of top flight u-19 football, with all the pro teams and their academy teams, and plenty more.

That is 140 teams, normally with big rosters, maybe 3500 players. All at an extremely high level. Even those like Blasco who played for youth teams of Cornellà (in 2B), Barça and Mallorca, the odds were very tough. 

That is why I mention someone my son played with, since he has gone from that level into a sixth tier team, probably not making any money. So this idea of being consolidated as a teen is absurd, and even more so in any country with a massive youth base.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:20 PM, saintjoes said:

Woa.. ok apologies for posting this here. Maybe i should have just raised a general comment that some professional soccer players agents found it difficult to know how best to reach out to CPL league/teams when they did their own searching when English was not their first language and their contacts were familiar with MLS but not CPL recruiting approaches. Please disregard my notes about the personal circumstances that led to my enquiry. Hope that helps. 

Sorry if I came across as harsh. You are just trying to help out your nephew and my annoyance is at people not paying attention to what I actually wrote, not you.

And on another note, not a Boomer. ;)

MLS just suspended their season until further notice

With CPL teams not travelling in the US, if Canada continues to contain the virus, CPL might be the only soccer league operating this spring. *

So...York9 might sellout 😁

*Make no mistake about it, the virus will explode in the US

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MLS just suspended their season until further notice

With CPL teams not travelling in the US, if Canada continues to contain the virus, CPL might be the only soccer league operating this spring. *

So...York9 might sellout 😁

*Make no mistake about it, the virus will explode in the US

I don't think so. You have some CPL teams travelling in the US and Atlético in Spain. I fully expect CPL to delay its season start.

No chance the CPL start isn't delayed. Best case maybe they take out one round of fixtures with clubs playing each other. Potentially they could extend the league by a week or two. 

No CPL teams will be travelling out of the country. Theoretically if its under control in Canada the league could still run but while people are still coming in and out of the country it will spread. To be honest I would be shocked if there wasn't a travel ban from leaving the country announced over the next week. 

Official announcement 

https://canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-statement-coronavirus-covid-19-protocol?fbclid=IwAR1mk2mgpEi_OaUzllT5TUfbOH6gMGI8pLFcA0Hv6C6AqqvHWHgN63rL5Tk

Toronto, ON (March 12, 2020) – The Canadian Premier League with its Clubs have been closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation on an ongoing basis. The CPL has established a working committee that has been monitoring the most recent developments and communicating with our Clubs regarding the appropriate measures to take as the situation continues to evolve.

The League has been working around the clock with input from relevant government agencies and medical experts to do our part in combating this public health crisis. The health and safety of our players, staff, fans and partners is of the utmost importance as we manage through this situation. We will continue following the guidelines set forth by our public health authorities and government agencies.

It is important to note that the CPL’s season does not start until April 11th and we are not playing in public venues at this time.

We will maintain our consistent dialogue both internally and externally and as more information becomes available, we will continue to provide public updates. This includes details about potentially rescheduling or postponing matches.

-30-
Media Contact:
Micki Benedetti
Vice President Communications
micki.benedetti@canpl.ca

Edited by toontownman
update

USL is suspended indefinitely

Also, technically, only 4 provinces are hit by the virus so far (no cases on Vancouver Island). They could either play in empty stadium and/or relocating the games in Ontario and Alberta. That's only if we keep controlling the outbreak has we've done so far.

If it gets out of hand than yes, delay the season.

Edited by Ansem

13 minutes ago, toontownman said:

That makes some sense. They could at least play behind closed doors. There is nothing to protect them from getting it while travelling though. 

The world needs to go home for 3 weeks to be honest. 

100% this. Bring the squads/players home, test them, isolate them.

Play behind closed doors in April.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

100% this. Bring the squads/players home, test them, isolate them.

Play behind closed doors in April.

Theoretically yes.  The problem that all leagues face are that players have families and friends who may become infected who would then possibly infect them.  Don’t think you can bubble wrap them just so that they can play soccer. 

I have a feeling that the CPL will be impacted by this as well. I hope I’m wrong, but it’s wishful thinking to expect that we’re not going to be just as impacted as everyone else. I just hope that the world can sort out the Coronavirus soon. 

I’d also like to see our government implement travel bans immediately, should’ve happened already imo. 

Stay healthy folks. 

10 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I have a feeling that the CPL will be impacted by this as well. I hope I’m wrong, but it’s wishful thinking to expect that we’re not going to be just as impacted as everyone else. I just hope that the world can sort out the Coronavirus soon. 

I’d also like to see our government implement travel bans immediately, should’ve happened already imo. 

Stay healthy folks. 

Doing what Italy did is the right thing to do.

Shut it down except for Canadians coming home who should be quarantined

People are just ignoring that different countries have totally different curves in terms of the increase of cases, deaths, and % of infected getting over the virus.

You cannot just imitate certain actions, like cancelling flights or sporting events, on a global scale, as if everyone was in the same conditions. 

It actually makes sense that matches were behind closed doors in France yesterday, but not in the UK, because France is further along the apparently typical growth curve of the virus than the UK.

It does seem that from the first deaths to exponential growth and peaking you are talking about a month to 5 weeks. However, some actions have been taken in Canada for prevention that are far ahead of virtually all other countries, and the experiences of countries in a worse state might provide some lessons. Not to mention possible health solutions emerging just these weeks. So it is possible that cases and deaths do not start to leap up exponentially in Canada in the next 10-21 days, that the curve will top out earlier and flatten more quickly. You just do not know.

It is of course radically irresponsible and blatantly political to ban flights to the US from so many countries in the EU, but to allow the UK, which is 7th in terms of cases and fourth worse in terms of deaths in Europe. The UK has a higher incidence per capita than Portugal, for example. So if you are going to take measures, make them consistent and avoid political pandering.

There's just no space for any nuanced or rational discussion because with it declared a global pandemic there is just too much liability at risk now. In the end it will he fine but I guess that's our reality for now. Until it's officially not considered a global pandemic anymore by the experts I see no gatherings taking place anywhere. Talk to everyone in a couple months

Edited by SpursFlu