CPL General

NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA are at the pinnacle because nobody else in the world plays those sports. Yah, a few here and there dabble in it, but let’s be honest, soccer and cricket are really their games. Therefore, in a sample of 1, America is #1. 

People talking about MLS being top five in the world 😂😂😂😂😂 ... how about being top in North America first? In 25 years, not one CCL title to show. Not one!

Reality check people. 

Edited by IAmPappy

12 minutes ago, IAmPappy said:

NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA are at the pinnacle because nobody else in the world plays those sports. Yah, a few here and there dabble in it, but let’s be honest, soccer and cricket are really their games. Therefore, in a sample of 1, America is #1. 

People talking about MLS being top five in the world 😂😂😂😂😂 ... how about being top in North America first? In 25 years, not one CCL title to show. Not one!

Reality check people. 

MLS teams have won the CCL's predecessor twice. That doesn't mean there isn't a gap (LigaMX is the undisputed king of the region), but let's get our facts straight.

Also, imagine thinking "nobody else in the world" plays basketball.

I stand corrected: In 19 years, not one CCL title. 

I didn’t say nobody else in the world plays basketball. Let’s get our facts straight. I said that if they play basketball, they’re primary sport is something else. 

Edited by IAmPappy

February 27, 2020 York 9 FC Fan Forum and Kit Reveal night. All the audio from the presentation and Q&A. MC Luke Wileman with Angus McNab, Jimmy Brennan and Paul Stalteri. Lots of pictures too!  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports20/20york020.htm

Finally an answer to why York has no home games after Labour Day.  Could be trouble if York makes the post season.  

Edited by Rocket Robin

And MLS tv ratings were down YoY in 2019. MLS on Spanish tv has also higher average ratings than English tv.

But I don't believe Spanish networks are going to be paying up for MLS rights when liga MX gets 4-5x more along with some other leagues and national team matches.

Plus MLS playoff ratings were lower than regular season ratings in 2019. This shows MLS doesn’t have a solid foundation of hardcore fans. 

With 40%- 50%+ of MLS teams making the playoffs means the regular season isn't as compelling to watch as the Euro league matches. The quality in the bottom half is also poor which means only hard core locals are only watching. No relegation means no need to watch to worry about facing the true agony of defeat. 

The saving grace has been that MLS rights are bundled with US & Mexican national team rights via SUM. So they have been subsidizing MLS. 

3 hours ago, red card said:

And MLS tv ratings were down YoY in 2019. MLS on Spanish tv has also higher average ratings than English tv.

But I don't believe Spanish networks are going to be paying up for MLS rights when liga MX gets 4-5x more along with some other leagues and national team matches.

I'm not aware that MLS is on any Spanish tv channel. Up to 2 years ago I watched on Eurosport. They tended to show matches that could be live just after midnight. We rarely got west coast though I did enjoy catching glimpses of the Curva and could hear Zach leading chants. I doubt many Spaniards had similar motivations. 

17 hours ago, IAmPappy said:

NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA are at the pinnacle because nobody else in the world plays those sports.

16 hours ago, RS said:

Also, imagine thinking "nobody else in the world" plays basketball.

16 hours ago, IAmPappy said:

I didn’t say nobody else in the world plays basketball.

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, IAmPappy said:

😂😂😂

Okay, you got me there. That Obama thing never gets old. But in my own defense, I did follow-up that very sentence with some context: “Yah, a few here and there dabble in it,”

I know for example, that China does much more the dabble in basketball, but point taken.

It's actually no 1 in a few other countries (Lithuania, and if you scoff you'll really put your foot in it) and clear no 2 in maybe 20-30 countries. Or more. 

However the point is that the US leagues are THE first division for certain sports. Even where you're mistaken you are also right, in that those leagues gather world talent in those sports. Basketball precisely is where the gap is narrowing, i large part because other countries develop bb players the way they do footballers. But it is not like footie, where the world top flight player pool can be found in maybe 7-10 leagues (not including MLS) and spread over maybe 80 countries,with the US down near the tail. 

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not aware that MLS is on any Spanish tv channel. Up to 2 years ago I watched on Eurosport. They tended to show matches that could be live just after midnight. We rarely got west coast though I did enjoy catching glimpses of the Curva and could hear Zach leading chants. I doubt many Spaniards had similar motivations. 

I should have been more specific. I was referring to Spanish language tv in the US like Univison, TUDN, Unimas, Fox & ESPN Deportes. 

Football ratings on these channels is like hockey on tv in Canada. Put something on, there is always some base that will watch it. That's one of the main reasons why MLS ratings on Spanish language tv in the US is higher than English tv but it's not something to get excited about. There is a reason why Mexicans refer to MLS as a "cementary of the stars" league.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Any early predictions for this upcoming season? I am predicting the golden boot winner will be Jair Cordova

I agree. I'm not one of those people who think Malonga was useless, etc, but he did waste a lot of chances and it looks like Cordova might be more of a natural finisher. 

I think Forge are going to struggle unless they make a few additions - I'm a little surprised that they haven't signed anyone from the 21st player pool. I'd love to see them sign Adebayo Akinfenwa lol

54 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

I agree. I'm not one of those people who think Malonga was useless, etc, but he did waste a lot of chances and it looks like Cordova might be more of a natural finisher. 

I think Forge are going to struggle unless they make a few additions - I'm a little surprised that they haven't signed anyone from the 21st player pool. I'd love to see them sign Adebayo Akinfenwa lol

I think they are going about it the right way. They were a top team last season, retained their core (minus Borges) and I feel like Bobby is going to give chances to the Sigma kids/give chances to other players to step up this year (Novak, Zajac, Choiniere etc). If they start to fall behind Cavalry and lose ground to York, then they will be able to add a player later

8 hours ago, SadOnMondays said:

I still feel Forge is a bit thin at centre forward - I like Anthony Novak and like what he does in terms of hold up and positional play, but don't see him contributing a ton goal wise.

Novak scored 6 goals in 1,113 minutes last season. If he could keep up that rate and play as many minutes as Terran Campbell for example, he would have had 12, which would have put him at second in scoring behind only Borges