17 hours ago, saintjoes said:

My 19yr old nephew plays in Argentina at a good level and he'd love to come to Canada and play in the CPL...

What is, "a good level"? That doesn't sound like he is playing for professional club.

If he is in Argentina, 19 years old, and not playing professionally, it is too late to tryout for the CanPL. Tell him to get a coaching license or some other choice if he wants to stay involved in soccer and come work in Canada.

If any of the more well funded owners want to, I think you could use foundation donations to fund scholarships for foreign players. Might be an interesting, tax advantaged, solution to recruitment. I'm always surprised to read the quality of some of the freshmen who come to NCAA from Europe. I guess they are probably choosing a $100k 4 year contract, over similar dollars in lower tier Europe.

54 minutes ago, ted said:

What is, "a good level"? That doesn't sound like he is playing for professional club.

If he is in Argentina, 19 years old, and not playing professionally, it is too late to tryout for the CanPL. Tell him to get a coaching license or some other choice if he wants to stay involved in soccer and come work in Canada.

Personally, I'd probably wait for a bit more information before advising someone to give up on their dreams

1 hour ago, ted said:

Someone has to tell York9 before it’s too late! 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Some random related notes:

1. I don't want to open the CPL vs other country divisions comparison can of worms.
2. CPL/MLS came up when he and his teammates recently found a clip of Davies (after his recent Chelsea match domination) of his highlights with the Whitecaps and academy and they were impressed (surprised?) that he could play in Canada at all at that level

3. Unfortunately foreign agents need all the help they can get.. especially given  that the CPL is new and language barriers still are surprisingly significant

4. I know it is a ridiculous idea but it still surprises me clubs don't have the equivalent of a Submit your resume here button ☺️

Thanks again.

Edited by saintjoes
So many tipos.. grr life as a new dad with baby brain!

It may have been mentioned but the league announced a few months ago that there is a central scouting or agency that handles dealing with foreign players. People weren't exactly sure what that meant but it seems that a majority of the resources used to evaluate foreign talent is done thru CPL head office and that information is then cascaded to the teams once it's been filtered. In other words, reach out to CPL head office, not the individual teams

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Personally, I'd probably wait for a bit more information before advising someone to give up on their dreams

I have allowed for that possibility by specifying that my comments apply ONLY if he is NOT playing professionally.

Assuming he is NOT PLAYING PROFESSIONALLY we have all the information we need. Argentina is not a place where you find undiscovered gems at 19 years of age. If the kid is not playing for a pro club it is because he is not good enough. If he is not good enough to play pro with one of the 300+ clubs in their system then WTF would a CanPL team want him?

7 minutes ago, ted said:

I have allowed for that possibility by specifying that my comments apply ONLY if he is NOT playing professionally.

Assuming he is NOT PLAYING PROFESSIONALLY we have all the information we need. Argentina is not a place where you find undiscovered gems at 19 years of age. If the kid is not playing for a pro club it is because he is not good enough. If he is not good enough to play pro with one of the 300+ clubs in their system then WTF would a CanPL team want him?

You’re probably right... but what’s the harm in just thinking that bit to yourself and saying ‘good luck!’? 

47 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It may have been mentioned but the league announced a few months ago that there is a central scouting or agency that handles dealing with foreign players. People weren't exactly sure what that meant but it seems that a majority of the resources used to evaluate foreign talent is done thru CPL head office and that information is then cascaded to the teams once it's been filtered. In other words, reach out to CPL head office, not the individual teams

Exactly. UT originally posted a link to the cpl.ca story about it and hence I googled cpl soccer ops or 21st scouting partner email contacts but with no luck. I'll keep searching. Cheers!

44 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Exactly. UT originally posted a link to the cpl.ca story about it and hence I googled cpl soccer ops or 21st scouting partner email contacts but with no luck. I'll keep searching. Cheers!

I think a player could go either way. A player can call a club, at the level we are working in CPL, it is not so crazy. His agent could call a club. His agent could contact with a local agent and see what he says. He could call the league. 

If the kid has an agent and is playing at a decent level, he has to understand that it is not a cakewalk. Though I appreciate that the level of competition in Argentina is high. 

My son no longer plays, but he was in third tier Spanish u-19. People at that level go to NCAA as freshmen and are starters. If they stay in Spain, it is very tough: one buddy of his a year younger, who played top flight Spain u-19 in the end, is now on the B team of a fourth tier pro club. That fellow, who actually appears in Transfermarkt, is probably close to CPL level, he's borderline.

3 hours ago, ted said:

Fair enough. It just came across as harsh.

We still don't know anything about the level of play the kid is at, but I'm genuinely curious now what percentage of current CPL players were playing professionally as a teenager. Including international recruits. I'd hazard a wild guess that it's approximately 50%, with Pacific probably being the exception as a result of picking up so many kids with USL experience as teenagers. Imagine if they were all advised to hang up their boots

Most countries do have a more established funnel than Canada does, with Argentina certainly being no exception. I won't pretend to know at what level players are considered professional or not, but I'd be surprised if every talented young player in the country was getting a pay cheque. I've always assumed that's why you see Argentinians and Brazilians in nearly every domestic league in the world. An excess of talent compared to the paying opportunities at home. 

3 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

You’re probably right... but what’s the harm in just thinking that bit to yourself and saying ‘good luck!’? 

Because blowing smoke up someone's ass does not help them in any way.  If the kid wants to come Canada on a work visa better that he have something realistic like coaching credentials, physiotherapy qualifications, whatever.

And despite the OP's comment about not wanting to compare Cdn vs Arg soccer levels, he is basically saying "my nephew, who can't get a job playing pro at any of 300+ clubs in Argentina, is good enough to play for CanPL" which is pretty f#@%*&g insulting, but I was trying to be nice. And we won't even get into the stupidity of people who come on a fans message board to ask about opportunities with the clubs when it take less time to Google the league or teams websites and get contact info than it does to sign up for this forum and post such a ridiculous question. Pro's who want to transfer internationally have agents, not clueless uncles. This kid is clearly not serious about a pro career and thinks Canada sucks so hard he can become a pro here because our kids are **** compared to him.

But sure, sunshine and lollipops should be showered on this guy because heaven forbid reality, hard work, talent, professionalism, and respect have anything to do with professional soccer.

Woa.. ok apologies for posting this here. Maybe i should have just raised a general comment that some professional soccer players agents found it difficult to know how best to reach out to CPL league/teams when they did their own searching when English was not their first language and their contacts were familiar with MLS but not CPL recruiting approaches. Please disregard my notes about the personal circumstances that led to my enquiry. Hope that helps. 

1 hour ago, ted said:

Because blowing smoke up someone's ass does not help them in any way.  If the kid wants to come Canada on a work visa better that he have something realistic like coaching credentials, physiotherapy qualifications, whatever.

And despite the OP's comment about not wanting to compare Cdn vs Arg soccer levels, he is basically saying "my nephew, who can't get a job playing pro at any of 300+ clubs in Argentina, is good enough to play for CanPL" which is pretty f#@%*&g insulting, but I was trying to be nice. And we won't even get into the stupidity of people who come on a fans message board to ask about opportunities with the clubs when it take less time to Google the league or teams websites and get contact info than it does to sign up for this forum and post such a ridiculous question. Pro's who want to transfer internationally have agents, not clueless uncles. This kid is clearly not serious about a pro career and thinks Canada sucks so hard he can become a pro here because our kids are **** compared to him.

But sure, sunshine and lollipops should be showered on this guy because heaven forbid reality, hard work, talent, professionalism, and respect have anything to do with professional soccer.

200.gif

2 hours ago, saintjoes said:

Woa.. ok apologies for posting this here. Maybe i should have just raised a general comment that some professional soccer players agents found it difficult to know how best to reach out to CPL league/teams when they did their own searching when English was not their first language and their contacts were familiar with MLS but not CPL recruiting approaches. Please disregard my notes about the personal circumstances that led to my enquiry. Hope that helps. 

Your good. I'm just happy to hear people in such an amazing footballing nation are talking about the CPL. Good luck!

3 hours ago, ted said:

I didn’t even think of it that way. I just figured it was some kid’s well meaning but uninformed relative thinking out loud. Anyways, I actually agree with the substance of your statement I suppose. It reminds me of when MLS first got started, a British guy I knew said that he thought that his brother should come and try out. The brother was a park player. I didn’t take it as an F.U. to MLS... I took it as a guy who loves his brother having an unrealistic and uninformed but benign thought. Who cares? 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Your good. I'm just happy to hear people in such an amazing footballing nation are talking about the CPL. Good luck!

That's so true - it seriously is a big deal that got lost in all of this. 

It's like us Canadians discovering that Venezuela has loads of good hockey players and one of the best wingers-coverted-to-play-defence-temporarily-until-old-enough players in the world!!!!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, saintjoes said:

That's so true - it seriously is a big deal that got lost in all of this. 

It's like us Canadians discovering that Venezuela has loads of good hockey players and one of the best wingers-coverted-to-play-defence-temporarily-until-old-enough players in the world!!!!

Well now I understand Ted’s take. Are you just taking the piss?

Edited by Aird25

12 hours ago, ted said:

That's was really over the top Ted. What's up? 

A quality u-19 not playing pro in a powerful soccer nation is likely at a high competitive level for Canada. Wheareas in Canada there's not a single reliable merit based league for teens with promotion and relegation, where kids are not paying to play but are recruited. 

If he is not playing pro at 19 in Argentina he cant in cpl..lol..like Brian Lopez who at 20 just signed for York and according to official release was playing for the team under the reserve team