CPL General

Does this mean that the partnership with Nike is no more?

Also, it's already for sale in the online store (win!) . . . for a staggering $149.99 (what in the hell?). I am sincerely hoping that this is a typo and that it's actually just $14.99. 

https://shop.canpl.ca/2020-cpl-official-match-day-ball-pre-order.html

😕

Edited by m-g-williams

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

Also, it's already for sale in the online store (win!) . . . for a staggering $149.99 (what in the hell?). I am sincerely hoping that this is a typo and that it's actually just $14.99. 

https://shop.canpl.ca/2020-cpl-official-match-day-ball-pre-order.html

😕

That's the real price.  It's the same one they will be playing with on the pitch.  It's the same price a the official World Cup, Champions League balls that get sold.  It isn't a cheap replica look alike that you get for $29.99.

Seriously? 

I mean . . . it's a *ball*.

I desperately want the league to suceed, but realistically, the level of play, marketing, salaries, etc. for CPL will never be on the same level as the kind you see in the Bundesliga or among UEFA Champions League players. I just don't think we'll be able to build a rabid enough/large enough fanbase to make these kinds of sales viable. Hell, looking at the MLS website, you can get their 2020 NATIVO ball for $19.99. I'm all about supporting and promoting the league, but this seems insane to me. 

If I had kids, I'd love to buy them this sort of thing to get them hooked from a young age. But when a bloody *ball* is more expensive than an authentic kit, count me out.

53 minutes ago, RS said:

That's the replica.

Official match balls by any company all sell for that $150 range, regardless of the league. That's just the price of things, so this CPL ball is priced normally.

But at the end of the day, it's still just . . . a *ball*. Somethat designed to be kicked around, muddied up and put through the ringer. How different is a replica from the real thing to justify that kind of price difference?

If this is the way of the world (which I still find ridiculous), then I sincerely hope they'll be selling replicas in short order. For the casual fan, I feel like this would be a bit of a shock. 

Sidenote: Recognizing that football is different than other sports, I checked the NBA and NHL online stores for prices of basketballs and pucks. There were a ton of honest-to-God autographed ones for less than $80 (display cases and such being much more, admittedly, and with a small minority over $200 for really big names). In the realm of North American sports, I find it really hard to believe that a year-two start-up league is charging this much for a bloody *ball*. 

Edited by m-g-williams

Not gonna lie, probably going to end up ordering both. The official ball as a collectible, the replica to practice/play with the kids.

My eldest has already determined he wants to be a RB & that his little brother will be a future CM. May as well train them up with a good looking ball. 😂

I think your out of the loop here M-G.  Even when I was a kid in the eighties we knew the difference from the cheap shitty plastic/vinyl balls and the actual leather high quality ball the pros used.  I won a WIlson "DUKE" NFL official football in a raffle 20 years ago and it has a 179$ sticker price on it.  I say has cause the thing has never been used and is on a shelf.  

I'm shocked by those prices too but then checked out the official La Liga ball, made by Puma: they have basically three price ranges, plus a smaller sized ball. The most expensive official ball for play is 135€. The next ball which is designed to be used as a game ball, goes for 40€. Then there is a more synthetic cheaper ball at 25€. For tots, or maybe in the house, there is a smaller sized ball that goes for 13 euros.

So that is comparable, and I'm surprised by the highest price.

Does the ball have the Fifa Quality Pro distinction? This is a full quality control label from FIFA that indicates it has been fully tested. If it doesn't, it should not be the official ball of a pro league, and that price cannot be justified.

If you follow Spanish, this shop does great videos on products like balls and boots, very well analysed. Like the official ball for the Eurocup. The shop itself Futbolmania, happens to be 2 blocks from where I live.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaRhCmiMws7tUPQlsAkoebQ

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Apologies if this was posted before. Some interesting tid bits but in general a nice plug for the league. 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/cpl-scouting-abroad-quot-the-pool-in-germany-is-deep-quot-players-could-play-for-canada/view/news/356191

Good little article, thanks for the link. There are a few details there about how contract options work, saying that a player whose option is taken by the club will get a contract improvement. And that there are performance bonuses as well. 

Another thing we know but I was not sure was confirmed altogether is that there are no trades in CPL, you play for a club and can turn down a trade if it were to happen. Thus distancing CPL from the MLS which provides no security for a player who might want to settle in a specific place, choosing just that team and thinking of his family's future. The MLS trade model is disgraceful, we only accept it because of the vulgar system in place in other US sports.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Anyone who think there is no significant difference between a $20 replica ball and a high level (and expensive) match quality ball has never kicked the latter. 

Bingo. I've never kicked a match quality ball in my life, hence my shock. And I dare wager that a lot of casual fans and parents never have, either. I get that this appeals to/is normal for the diehards among us, but I am concerned that without replica options via the CPL shop that this may strike a lot of people as too much. 

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Anyone who think there is no significant difference between a $20 replica ball and a high level (and expensive) match quality ball has never kicked the latter. 

The match ball may be overly expensive but they are absolutely worth it to some people.  I love my WC Brazil ball and it was about $130

Can't remember why but I came into a 12 panel match ball a few years ago (the style with the long panels, sort of looks like a volley ball). Bought it, wasn't cheap,  $100 at the time I think.  In the 30 years I've been kicking leather it was the truest ball I've ever owned.   By truest I mean most consistant/predictable.  The action (english) was just so consistant, with all the variables in mind of course.

Took some getting used to but became a favourate on my rec team quite quickly.  

When we were kids we'd use the old 12 panel that my Mum came up when we'd visit my old Gido (her Dad).  Leather thing with the finish wore off, bough at Eaton's during a trip to Winnipeg in the '40s.  Not the same thing at all.  Might as well have been kicking a soggy, rolled up beach towel.  Forty years old at the time but could still hold air! 

Might buy one of the CPL models.  Just 'cause.  Hung the boots up a few years ago now.  

My 19yr old nephew plays in Argentina at a good level and he'd love to come to Canada and play in the CPL with an eye to also becoming Canadian one day. Any ideas how he contacts the CPL's Soccer Operations central scouting setup or 21 Club?

Is this the best route or should he/agent reach out to each team separately?

(Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this sort of question - feel free to point me to different direction. Thanks in advance!)

Edited by saintjoes

1 hour ago, saintjoes said:

My 19yr old nephew plays in Argentina at a good level and he'd love to come to Canada and play in the CPL with an eye to also becoming Canadian one day. Any ideas how he contacts the CPL's Soccer Operations central scouting setup or 21 Club?

Is this the best route or should he/agent reach out to each team separately?

(Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this sort of question - feel free to point me to different direction. Thanks in advance!)

I honestly don’t know, but I’d guess that it’s something his agent should be able to look into. I know some of the clubs hold open trials, that might be a place to start. Anyways, best of luck! I hope he makes it.