CPL General

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is a fairly accurate and useful web tracking the virus globally and also for certain nations.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And here is the one from John Hopkins University. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The case totals from China have been virtually frozen now for several weeks, as I am sure many people have noticed. 

Good points on Canada having the possible advantage of learning from other countries who are seemingly further along. It will be interesting to see what happens with the CPL. Wonder if they bother pushing back a spring season that is short to begin with. 

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

And here is the one from John Hopkins University. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The case totals from China have been virtually frozen now for several weeks, as I am sure many people have noticed. 

Good points on Canada having the possible advantage of learning from other countries who are seemingly further along. It will be interesting to see what happens with the CPL. Wonder if they bother pushing back a spring season that is short to begin with. 

Of more than 80,000 reported cases in China, 65,000 are said to be resolved positively, meaning the affected are healthy again. There are very few new cases. So they are in a control and decline situation, but of course even then, any carelessness and the epidemia conditions could reappear.

We do not know if in Canada we have taken proper measures and that is why we have so few cases and will be less affected; or if we are at an early stage in the cycle and that we are about to see exponential growth in cases--meaning our measures taken until now have not been as effective as some are claiming. 

18 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Theoretically yes.  The problem that all leagues face are that players have families and friends who may become infected who would then possibly infect them.  Don’t think you can bubble wrap them just so that they can play soccer. 

Why not? They should have had that pep talk already...after that, aren't they suppose to ghost everyone and just train? 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We do not know if in Canada we have taken proper measures and that is why we have so few cases and will be less affected; or if we are at an early stage in the cycle and that we are about to see exponential growth in cases--meaning our measures taken until now have not been as effective as some are claiming. 

The World Health Organization has said that Canada's response has been exemplary. They have "sounded the alarm" for those countries who's response has not.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The World Health Organization has said that Canada's response has been exemplary. They have "sounded the alarm" for those countries who's response has not.

The WHO has also called China's response exemplary, despite there being many stories contradicting that. The leader of WHO and Xi are quite chummy, apparently. I understand China has given WHO a lot of monatary support. Perhaps their praise of China's response should be considered with that in mind.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Of more than 80,000 reported cases in China, 65,000 are said to be resolved positively, meaning the affected are healthy again. There are very few new cases. So they are in a control and decline situation, but of course even then, any carelessness and the epidemia conditions could reappear.

China's draconian measures could be extremely effective, or perhaps they are fudging the numbers. Or it could be somewhere in between.

Edited by Obinna

45 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The WHO has also called China's response exemplary, despite there being many stories contradicting that. The leader of WHO and Xi are quite chummy, apparently. I understand China has given WHO a lot of monatary support. Perhaps their praise of China's response should be considered with that in mind.

Right, there is no way to actually tell if any countries actions are better than others. Perhaps ability to contain the virus? Only time will tell but it will never be clear if certain measures were ever actually necessary.

What we do know is that the WHO is widely regarded as leaders and experts, and that they have proven policies and procedures to contain virus outbreaks similar to this one, and when they say Canada's response has been exemplary it's probably the only semi-objective and accurate assessment possible. 

59 minutes ago, Obinna said:

China's draconian measures could be extremely effective, or perhaps they are fudging the numbers. Or it could be somewhere in between.

When the Governor of Ohio comes out and says they have 10 thousand cases alone - - or was that Boris Johnson and Ohio has 100,000?-- then the numbers are being fudged in places that should know better. 

40 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Right, there is no way to actually tell if any countries actions are better than others. Perhaps ability to contain the virus? Only time will tell but it will never be clear if certain measures were ever actually necessary.

What we do know is that the WHO is widely regarded as leaders and experts, and that they have proven policies and procedures to contain virus outbreaks similar to this one, and when they say Canada's response has been exemplary it's probably the only semi-objective and accurate assessment possible. 

Most of us, myself included, lack the scientific knowledge to say which response is best. I do feel however, that it is right to be dubious about just accepting critiques made by the WHO, or any such organization, at face value.

I don’t know a lot about medicine, but I do know a lot about international law, and the organisms it creates, and my view is that while many of them do great work, none of them are free from political biases. In many cases these biases do not favour the powerful Western countries. I have no idea whether this is the case with the WHO. 

I, like everyone else who isn’t a scientist, am forced to make judgment calls based on my confidence in my own government - and I have little confidence in politicians in general, particularly our batch of leaders in Canada. I do however feel that our country’s governmental apparatus does have some very capable people behind the scenes, and I’m hoping that they are the ones who can be relied upon to sort this out. 

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When the Governor of Ohio comes out and says they have 10 thousand cases alone - - or was that Boris Johnson and Ohio has 100,000?-- then the numbers are being fudged in places that should know better. 

10,000 was the UK guesstimate. Think it just means there are lots of mild and asymptomatic cases out there that don't get tested, because people don't go to see a doctor over it. We are probably going to see CanPL's season delayed next month as April and the first half of May will be the prime time for coranavirus spread across a lot of the country in terms of the weather conditions, i.e. a daily average significantly above freezing but also well below 20C. Better to do what's happening in the UK at the moment and close a lot of things down while it is still possible to slow or prevent the spread of the epidemic rather than waiting too long until there is a crisis that overwhelms the hospitals like Hubei province and northern Italy did.

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Most of us, myself included, lack the scientific knowledge to say which response is best. I do feel however, that it is right to be dubious about just accepting critiques made by the WHO, or any such organization, at face value.

I don’t know a lot about medicine, but I do know a lot about international law, and the organisms it creates, and my view is that while many of them do great work, none of them are free from political biases. In many cases these biases do not favour the powerful Western countries. I have no idea whether this is the case with the WHO. 

I, like everyone else who isn’t a scientist, am forced to make judgment calls based on my confidence in my own government - and I have little confidence in politicians in general, particularly our batch of leaders in Canada. I do however feel that our country’s governmental apparatus does have some very capable people behind the scenes, and I’m hoping that they are the ones who can be relied upon to sort this out. 

Very well put. I agree with everything you say here.

I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but how does CPL start the season (if you were in charge). Start possibly in closed stadiums? Gets the season underway, no revenue for teams, puts players into some danger of getting sick. Delaying the start and making matches up mid-week through the season or, delay the start and reduce the number of games played. Pros and cons to each. 

We're in South Africa where the president made a speech to the nation last night and will start taking serious actions. Hoping to get back to Canada in a couple of days, even if there's no toilet paper. It does put sport into perspective but this is a football supporter's forum.

BTW, if you ever considered a safari, once covid19 is no longer an issue, do it!

Interesting article suggesting that CPL abd CFL might be the only north American leagues operating at some point this summer.

These 2 leagues are the only major leagues 100% independent of the US, meaning that if Canada recovers faster (extremely likely), they might have all the attention at some point.

The problem with NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS is that Canada somewhat getting out of the crisis faster will be irrelevant for our teams as the leagues are American.

To be continued 

On 3/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, Ams1984 said:

After speaking to many family and friends this morning and hearing the issues they're anticipating in their country, I feel completely grateful to live in a country like Canada in a time like this. The type of culture,  structure and government institutions we can rely on are only a fantasy to many countries in the world. I've spoken to people who desperately scrambled to get back to Canada and are very fearful for the situation they left. But life is all about perspective I guess

Wonder who we may see make the move to the Belarusian Premier League as it is the only league in Europe that is still playing? May we see some CPL targets head their instead? Some are suggesting we may see some big names make the move there.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2020/03/23/coronavirus-belarusian-premier-league-keeps-playing-soccer/2897028001/

I have huge doubts for a CPL season any time soon. Unfortunately Canada is largely screwed due to the situation in the US, it needs to be contained there before anything remotely resembling normal life can restart in Canada. Essential travel only or not, there is simply too much integration to not be constantly importing cases. Just do not think the risk is worth it even if we have seen a downturn in cases here. I think we need to see 14 days of no cases being reported to truly return to normalcy. 

I don’t know where this fits but what an off-season.  This league is so up in the air - it’s possible that a team picked 8th could take the whole thing.  Will the new “name” signings be the next 

Curious who people think will be the best in 2020 for these categories:

Newcomer:  Joao Morelli

Returning player:   Michael Petrasso

Under 21 (‘99 and younger):  Noah Verhoeven

Defender:  D Abzi 

Keeper:  Callum Irving