CPL General

6 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Exactly. It's very common in CONCACAF and CONMEBOL.

Yeah, I thought of the Costa Rican league which also has something like that. Nevertheless, I think I get what he meant... should we be emulating the Costa Rican league, or the EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A/ etc...

2 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Belgium is cool I guess. But why would you rather emulate Belgium (a middling league at best) than the top leagues in the world, all of which are single table. 

I don't.

I just wanted to highlight that their set up is wack.

Yes for us hardcore soccer fans we can live with a single table and the the first place team being crowned champion. However, to attract the casuals they need to keep them engaged longer and that’s why you need some sort of playoffs. My suggestion is the first place team makes the final and the second and third place team play a home and away with the winner making the final . Keep in mind in Europe there are so many things to play for, European spots and the relegation battle that keeps fans engaged throughout the season,  something the CPL does not have, so your team can literally be out of it and have nothing to play for with a good portion of the season still to play. Yes us hardcore will go watch regardless but it’s not the few hardcore fans on these boards that will be enough to keep this league going and growing.

34 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Yes for us hardcore soccer fans we can live with a single table and the the first place team being crowned champion. However, to attract the casuals they need to keep them engaged longer and that’s why you need some sort of playoffs. My suggestion is the first place team makes the final and the second and third place team play a home and away with the winner making the final . Keep in mind in Europe there are so many things to play for, European spots and the relegation battle that keeps fans engaged throughout the season,  something the CPL does not have, so your team can literally be out of it and have nothing to play for with a good portion of the season still to play. Yes us hardcore will go watch regardless but it’s not the few hardcore fans on these boards that will be enough to keep this league going and growing.

Sounds good to me. I’d even go for single table plus 4 team playoff at the end. That way basically everyone will be invested right until the end. 

Just now, Ams1984 said:

Sounds good to me. I’d even go for single table plus 4 team playoff at the end. That way basically everyone will be invested right until the end. 

Yes but by having the first place team make the final you are really rewarding them for coming first and still keeping more teams engaged longer with the second and third teams playing to decide the other finalist .

7 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Yes but by having the first place team make the final you are really rewarding them for coming first and still keeping more teams engaged longer with the second and third teams playing to decide the other finalist .

I think I agree with you... it’s only fair that the club with the most points from the regular season be rewarded. 

21 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

That would be great - like a one game play down with the 2nd place team getting home field.  Just imagine a York-Forge derby with the winner going to the final... epic stuff.  

I believe single table is preferred so long as the schedule is balanced. Sure CanPL has 8 clubs now, but expansion is just going to throw this all out of whack again. I would wait until the league stabilizes at a certain size or the institute pro/rel before insisting on Single Table.

As I said previously, what's the difference between having playoffs between the top 4 clubs in a single season, and having the champions of each split season have playoffs with the two clubs with the next highest overall combined points for the year?

Better than last year's weird apertura-clausura format for no compelling reason. If/when they get up to ten (confident it's when as they have made lots of good decisions that should attract rather than scare away investors), they can split into east and west conferences and playoffs will appear more natural.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Better than last year's weird apertura-clausura format for no compelling reason. If/when they get up to ten (confident it's when as they have made lots of good decisions that should attract rather than scare away investors), they can split into east and west conferences and playoffs will appear more natural.

With 10 teams?  How would that be natural at all?  It would be an unbalanced schedule with 5 teams duking it out for 1 or 2 spots in each conference?

With 10 teams you just keep single table and up the season to 36 matches.  That's the only way to keep it fair and balanced - unless you did a split season like the SPL, but without relegation it's just a waste.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Disappointed. Can see edmonton and halifax dead in the water with nothing to play for come july. 

We shall see. I hated the split season when it was announced too..

That seems a bit presumptive.  HFX has made some good signings.  Plus, you could say the same thing about pretty much any league with perceived weaker teams. 

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That seems a bit presumptive.  HFX has made some good signings.  Plus, you could say the same thing about pretty much any league with perceived weaker teams. 

Yeah you are right it is. Was harshly specific without too much cause, I totally meant valour ;) 

Other leagues do have relegation and european/concacaf etc.. places to play for which makes it more tolerable. I have the european perspective though and lots of people here are naturally used to NHL,CFL etc. Without consequence of finishing last or lowdown and used to playoff, which I am not a fan of. I'm trying :)

I just grew to like the fact clubs had a second chance with a spring/fall. Ironically I wanted single table this time last year. They are justifying the move as giving clubs a greater chance to compete "more clubs could stay in the hunt for a longer period of time in a single table" its glass half full, several clubs could also just as easily be cut adrift with nothing to play for which could hurt attendance numbers and growth. I am knee jerking though.

The spring/fall also justified a playoff final. Now a final just seems like pandering and will look even more embarrassing if one club runs away with 1st place but loses in a final (glass half empty It could also be more exciting in the top 4/5).

I do feel the extra playoff place is to placate playoff fans but they dont want to go the full way because the CPL top brass ultimately dont like playoffs. 

Really time will tell and I'm sure it will be fine. I just hate constant change for the sake of change. Tinkering and tightening up is necessary year to year but I thought what they had was fine. Consistency and stability is more important so I hope this is the permanent structure going forward and people can grow used to it.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Yeah you are right it is. Was harshly specific without too much cause, I totally meant valour ;) 

Other leagues do have relegation and european/concacaf etc.. places to play for which makes it more tolerable. I have the european perspective though and lots of people here are naturally used to NHL,CFL etc. Without consequence of finishing last or lowdown and used to playoff, which I am not a fan of. I'm trying :)

I just grew to like the fact clubs had a second chance with a spring/fall. Ironically I wanted single table this time last year. They are justifying the move as giving clubs a greater chance to compete "more clubs could stay in the hunt for a longer period of time in a single table" its glass half full, several clubs could also just as easily be cut adrift with nothing to play for which could hurt attendance numbers and growth. I am knee jerking though.

The spring/fall also justified a playoff final. Now a final just seems like pandering and will look even more embarrassing if one club runs away with 1st place but loses in a final (glass half empty It could also be more exciting in the top 4/5).

I do feel the extra playoff place is to placate playoff fans but they dont want to go the full way because the CPL top brass ultimately dont like playoffs. 

Really time will tell and I'm sure it will be fine. I just hate constant change for the sake of change. Tinkering and tightening up is necessary year to year but I thought what they had was fine. Consistency and stability is more important so I hope this is the permanent structure going forward and people can grow used to it.

I don’t know... look at last year’s table. Third was close right to the end. Having this format would’ve kept more of us invested right until the last day. I also really like the single table. Apertura / Clausura just never sat right with me. 

Just now, Lofty said:

Third was also miles behind second and did not deserve the chance to play for the championship engraved dinner plate.

I get that, but that’s more of a playoff vs no playoff argument. To me, it’s like this:

-Single table is better than apertura/clausura;

-No playoff is a valid option, but if we’re going with playoffs, might as well max out it’s utility by adding a 2nd vs 3rd game because it will keep things exciting right to the end;

-Even though it seems unfair for 3rd to become champ, it’s no different from 2nd becoming champ. In either case, 1st gets rewarded (albeit only with a bye).