Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, VinceA said:

With Miller out and Kennedy's form/returning from injury we could finally see Cornelius start a match.

It's wild that he's been in many camps during the past cycle but since 2021 he's only appeared in 1 match.

Absolutely strange, especially as he emerged as a Herdman favourite early on.

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Absolutely strange, especially as he emerged as a Herdman favourite early on.

I think it was the case of Cornelius not playing at Vancouver and Miller getting his chance because he was playing more with Orlando City at the time.

By the time Miller went to Montreal, he had already made that spot his own.

Cornelius meanwhile was having a good loan in Greece, but Kennedy also emerged around then also and established himself as the go-to back up, ahead of Cornelius, which made Cornelius 3rd on the depth chart.

Derek still got a look away to Jamaica (I think it was), but it was basically 3 guys vying for 1 spot and Cornelius was unfortunately the odd man out.

Now ironically he's arguably at the best club of the 3. Perhaps it's clean slate time and Cornelius gets more looks than 2022 and 2021? At minimum he should be ahead of Kennedy for Gold Cup, since the German-based guys are in the off-season. 

Edited by Obinna

On 3/21/2023 at 8:15 AM, VinceA said:

With Miller out and Kennedy's form/returning from injury we could finally see Cornelius start a match.

It's wild that he's been in many camps during the past cycle but since 2021 he's only appeared in 1 match.

Unless I'm mistaken, Herdman has never played a left footed CB at the central spot in the three. Even when Vitoria/Henry have been unavailable, it's never Miller, Cornelius, or Kennedy in the middle. It's surprising to me. I see that central spot as being a natural fit for Cornelius.

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Herdman has never played a left footed CB at the central spot in the three. Even when Vitoria/Henry have been unavailable, it's never Miller, Cornelius, or Kennedy in the middle. It's surprising to me. I see that central spot as being a natural fit for Cornelius.

so who played in the middle? I don't recall a game where Vitoria and Henry were both not available

5 hours ago, Kadenge said:

so who played in the middle? I don't recall a game where Vitoria and Henry were both not available

Atiba and Miller centred a back four against Costa Rica and Panama away.

If Henry wasn’t available to spell off Vitoria, Vitoria just pulled double duty. Basically there has never been a game where two of Kennedy, Cornelius, and Miller played together*. Not even against the minnows. Not in the Gold Cup. As far as I can tell, never. 

If Vitoria or Henry aren’t available to play that central role, Herdman does not play a back three.

*edit: before yesterday.

Edited by footballfreak

12 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You never know this guy is even on the field, that has to be good.

Just before the David goal, he made a really bad pass that was not cleanly intercepted and had it been, we would have been caught out on the counter with too many guys on the wrong side of the ball.  But we got it back and very shortly thereafter turned our lead into three.  Such is the game.

6 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

I actually rate Cornelius higher then Miller if I'm being honest.. 

I think they're at about the same level, but that Cornelius fits better into our back-3 than Miller does. If we're going to be playing the 3-5-2 moving forward, it's vital that the LCB and RCB have the pace to track back in transition since Davies and Buchanan both like to get forward. Miller doesn't quite have the pace that Cornelius does in my opinion, and would be much better suited as a Vitoria replacement in the middle than the locked-in starter at LCB. I'd love to see Cornelius hold that position down moving forward.

Edited by Wasp

23 minutes ago, Wasp said:

I think they're at about the same level, but that Cornelius fits better into our back-3 than Miller does. If we're going to be playing the 3-5-2 moving forward, it's vital that the LCB and RCB have the pace to track back in transition since Davies and Buchanan both like to get forward. Miller doesn't quite have the pace that Cornelius does in my opinion, and would be much better suited as a Vitoria replacement in the middle than the locked-in starter at LCB. I'd love to see Cornelius hold that position down moving forward.

Exactly. This is also just my opinion. I wouldn't flinch if anyone rates Miller over Cornelius as he has been a solid member of this team for years now. I just think Cornelius pace compared to Millers and as we saw in the World Cup against the top dogs, pace at the back is going to be critical in the next few years because I think we won't have trouble scoring goals.. it'll be keeping them out. 

On 3/29/2023 at 1:41 PM, Wasp said:

I don’t really agree with this take. Miller isn’t good enough in the air to play in the middle in my opinion. I don’t think Cornelius is any faster than Miller. If I want a fast player at LCB, it’s Kennedy. And I’d rather Cornelius in the middle than Miller. 

25 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I don’t really agree with this take. Miller isn’t good enough in the air to play in the middle in my opinion. I don’t think Cornelius is any faster than Miller. If I want a fast player at LCB, it’s Kennedy. And I’d rather Cornelius in the middle than Miller. 

I thought Cornelius was solid in the middle of a back three during the Olympic qualifying tourney but afterwards couldn't make an impression back with the Caps and then was sent off to Greece for a two year loan spell, so I always cheer for his particular success.