Liam Millar

Northvansteve

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

Considering he’s not a out and out goal scorer, I would say that number is fairly high.

I would like to see 6-8 assists though, as I believe he’s more of a goal/chance creator.

I think with Basel, his goal total will increase as well as his assists total but when I look at Liam, he is more of a playmaker than an out and out goal scorer

44 minutes ago, Shway said:

Considering he’s not a out and out goal scorer, I would say that number is fairly high.

I would like to see 6-8 assists though, as I believe he’s more of a goal/chance creator.

Just going from the stats from last year, the team got its goals from a youngish centre forward that had a good year (18 from Arthur Cabral) and from Swiss veteran Pajtim Kasami from midfield (12).  

There is a group of attacking midfielders that are pretty young and were getting decent minutes but they don't look super deep on the wings - one player at each LW/RW other than Millar. Maybe looking for goals from there? Seem to play a 4231 most of the time. 

Obviously only much you can tell from numbers on a screen. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

39 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yeah, that's fair.

My thinking was that Basel are a top team in a not-so-strong division, so we may see more production from him for that reason. He will also have a full pre-season with the team, so he should be more integrated than joining on loan as he usually does.

On the other hand, he may not be a starter (at least in the early days) and you can only expect so much production if his minutes aren't too great.

Going to downgrade my expectations slightly, but I still want 3-5 goals from him. Assists in the 6-8 range is fair, I believe.

Basel is in qualifying for the UEFA conference league. Odd though because they finished second and young boys (champions) are in UCL qualifying. So it seems no team gets a straight shot at Europa league... 

Obviously Young Boys will likely be there when they lose in UCL qualifiers anyhow but still..

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm mainly excited to just see him play and grow and have some stability. I despise the loan factory many English clubs subject their players to.

Although loans can work out well for player and club I think you are right that stability will be good for Liam, this should be a great experience for him being in a different European league with another style of play to adapt to and being immersed into a new culture!

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm mainly excited to just see him play and grow and have some stability. I despise the loan factory many English clubs subject their players to.

Unfortunately for individuals, it's a numbers game, in terms of £££ and in the massive of number of kids in various systems in England. And it does not, not work, you sort through thousands of kids but sometimes you get (off the top of my head)  Joe Coles, Frank Lampards, Rio Ferdinands, Jermaine Defoes, David Beckhams, Fikayo Tomoris, Kevin DeBruynes etc.  

Not off the top of my head - 16 of the 26 man England squad at the Euros were on loan at one point.  Kane -  4 times, Walker - 4 times and (I know keepers are a special case)  Pickford 7 and Johnstone 10 times. 

I am convinced it would have worked for Doneil Henry, if his body did not break down, first at Blackburn. 

Just another side of it. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Little off topic but I wonder if his Canadian passport helped eased and facilitate this move. It definitely would not have hurt, although I assume in Liam's case he already has dual passports (speaking generally and not trying to personally overstep). 

Swiss and Canada ( at least they use to when I was there) , had a very favorable interchanging 5 year work visa system between both countries. I'd imagine it's still the same or similar?, as they are not part of the EU. 

Really hoping this works out for the young lad not just for him but all Canadians as a whole. If he succeeds their, the Swiss league could start doing a deep dive in scouting some of our top Canadian players/prospects, be pretty cool as a possible opportunities for young Canadians as a whole. 

Really excited about all of this!

Best of luck to him. 

Edited by apbsmith
Passport

7 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Swiss and Canada ( at least they use to when I was there) , had a very favorable interchanging 5 year work visa system between both countries. I'd imagine it's still the same or similar?, as they are not part of the EU. 

I’m pretty sure he would have a British passport as well. He’s been in england for so long. 

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I’m pretty sure he would have a British passport as well. He’s been in england for so long. 

For sure, my paragraph above that says, I'm sure he has 2 passports(without trying to overstep personally). UK citizens also need a work permit in Switzerland though. 

I just know it's surprisingly quite easy to get a Swiss work visa as a Canadian, that was my main point of original post. I'm not a Swiss immigration expert, but I'd assume there is a sports exemption anyways. 

I know the Swiss hockey League is loaded with Canadians as well on work permits.

Regardless, be cool if the Swiss league started to scout Canada. It's an amazing country to live in and the French parts anyways are very similar to Canada. 

11 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

For sure, my paragraph above that says, I'm sure he has 2 passports(without trying to overstep personally). UK citizens also need a work permit in Switzerland though. 

I just know it's surprisingly quite easy to get a Swiss work visa as a Canadian, that was my main point of original post. I'm not a Swiss immigration expert, but I'd assume there is a sports exemption anyways. 

I know the Swiss hockey League is loaded with Canadians as well on work permits.

Regardless, be cool if the Swiss league started to scout Canada. It's an amazing country to live in and the French parts anyways are very similar to Canada. 

The Swiss league might have fifa ranking requirements, most European leagues do for work permits 

Liam played the last 14 mins for FC Basel in a 3-3 preseason friendly vs Aarau FC. 

Good to get a run out with this new team and ets some vital preseason mins only been there 3 days…

Had a few good dribbles and played a key pass that resulted in the pen for the 3rd goal… 

Edited by spitfire

On 7/10/2021 at 11:44 AM, apbsmith said:

Interesting, in my experience it was the opposite, though that was also specifically for a work holiday visa which basically means you don't need to have anything lined up in the country you're getting a visa for, you just have to say you're going with the extension of travelling and finding work once you land. Most European countries accept them, but Switzerland doesn't and even their visas for working a job you've already gotten set up are pretty limited - only certain fields like hospitality/tourism and banking are accepted. This was 2 years ago so I may be way off with the specific fields mind you