Liam Millar

Northvansteve

58 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Done deal with FC Basel. £1.3 million and Liverpool retain 20% of any future transfer. Everybody is a winner. 

I love this move for Liam. I hope he definitely succeeds at Basel and he will be in contention for Europa League and Champions League by transferring to this club so.

On 7/1/2021 at 1:29 AM, Floortom said:

That’s good money for Liam - especially at the advantageous Swiss tax rates. Hard to believe he’d be netting that elsewhere.

I have a first-year student from the valley where St Moritz is. He studies industrial design but has carpentry skills, and told me he's going back to work for the summer. There is no minimum wage in Switzerland, interestingly enough, but he says he'll get paid over 4000 CHF a month over two months. 5400 Canadian dollars/month. That would put him at 65,000 CDN a year, but he's doing his degree to take a step up.

I thought the Swiss had a rather high flat tax rate, not that they have breaks.

Liam: good but not great nor perfect.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have a first-year student from the valley where St Moritz is. He studies industrial design but has carpentry skills, and told me he's going back to work for the summer. There is no minimum wage in Switzerland, interestingly enough, but he says he'll get paid over 4000 CHF a month over two months. 5400 Canadian dollars/month. That would put him at 65,000 CDN a year, but he's doing his degree to take a step up.

I thought the Swiss had a rather high flat tax rate, not that they have breaks.

Liam: good but not great nor perfect.

I believe Swiss federal individual tax rates are lower than most industrialized countries and if you are a “non tax resident”, then you are only taxed on Swiss sourced income; this is why many athletes and artists take up residence there.  There are also lower rates if one is single/married with children.  Also have to realize that Switzerland can be a very expensive place to live.
Sorry, I’m an accountant and used to do international taxation for a living so a bit of a geek on this type of thing.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I believe Swiss federal individual tax rates are lower than most industrialized countries and if you are a “non tax resident”, then you are only taxed on Swiss sourced income; this is why many athletes and artists take up residence there.  There are also lower rates if one is single/married with children.  Also have to realize that Switzerland can be a very expensive place to live.
Sorry, I’m an accountant and used to do international taxation for a living so a bit of a geek on this type of thing.

I live in Switzerland and can confirm that the high salaries match the high expenses.

Fwiw 4 of Switzerlands starters today spent a couple of their formative years at Basel.

Akanji was there from when he was 20-22 before transferring to Dortmund. Embolo was there from age 17-19, then transferred to Schalke. Shaqiri was there from 18-21, then went to Bayern. Sommer was there from 19-26, then went to Monchengladbach.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Fwiw 4 of Switzerlands starters today spent a couple of their formative years at Basel.

Akanji was there from when he was 20-22 before transferring to Dortmund. Embolo was there from age 17-19, then transferred to Schalke. Shaqiri was there from 18-21, then went to Bayern. Sommer was there from 19-26, then went to Monchengladbach.

I was wondering about that while watching the game.  Sounds like Basel is the perfect destination for him ;) 

On 7/2/2021 at 9:56 AM, lowlander said:

I live in Switzerland and can confirm that the high salaries match the high expenses.

Had to laugh when I was there a couple years ago … went to the grocery store and got a ‘Budget Pizza’ … a pre-made and very mediocre pizza for 35€ (If I recall correctly) but they had a literal wall of beer choices all 1€ for a 500ml can. I joked to my wife that our food options were simple … beer for our entire caloric intake. 

Edited by rob.notenboom

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Had to laugh when I was there a couple years ago … went to the grocery store and got a ‘Budget Pizza’ … a pre-made and very mediocre pizza for 35€ (If I recall correctly) but they had a literal wall of beer choices all 1€ for a 500ml can. I joked to my wife that are food options were simple … beer for our entire caloric intake. 

My wife and I were in such shock the first year we hardly went out. Not that you save much money at the supermarkets ... 

6 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I think Widmer is there now. I thought he looked good.

Basel like I said before and I'll keep saying it. Perfect club for Liam to really be at. Better opportunities to grow as a footballer and he gets the chance to have actual game time playing over there. Who knows maybe by him being there, he can hopefully turn into a world class or elite level caliber superstar.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe it's too early for this, but what's the expected number of goals for Liam this upcoming season.

I'd like to think 6-8. I would be happy with that production in his first year. 

Considering he’s not a out and out goal scorer, I would say that number is fairly high.

I would like to see 6-8 assists though, as I believe he’s more of a goal/chance creator.