Liam Millar

Northvansteve

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What you are all missing is that Liam has had sniffs and bites and even possible offers from teams in Championship and also in other 2nd tiers of the top four footballing nations in Europe. I know this for sure and so do many of you. So he is out there  in the market, and it did not happen.

If any of you had been asked to list the best 50 options, or 80, club by club, no one here would have named Basel. 

So let's stop with the spin, it is not the best move, it is just an okay move.

47 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No, the loser mentality is yours, not theirs.

You think a few Forge players might want to play in a higher league with better salary. To save your argument, by all means, let's say just a few just might have this mentality to prefer a Cup, angel or horse on a pedestal to a surefire pro career with the prestige and salary of a better team and league.

Not "might". David Choiniere literally signed for Forge instead of staying with Montreal to play CONCACAF league and win trophies rather than sit on the MLS bench.

I guess if I had to come up with a list of 80 or 150 teams I wished he played for there would be a bunch of Premier League teams on that list... like Liverpool.....

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

We shouldn't overlook the psychological aspect of winning trophies.

Or underestimate the psychological damage of most of our Canadian-based MLS players having some of the most collectively atrocious runs of team form maybe ever?

Just now, grigorio said:

Or underestimate the psychological damage of most of our Canadian-based MLS players having some of the most collectively atrocious runs of team form maybe ever?

In defense of those players they do seem to be spending alot of time on the bench. I have been trying to watch the "Canadian" MLS teams for years so I can see Canadians, but this season has seemed like one of the worst. I see as many Canadians on the field for other MLS teams when I watched a couple of times this year!

At any rate- even without being overly focused on Liam's progression to a bigger league or team- having a squad player who is a contributing member of FC Basel would be pretty impressive. (Sure so would one of many championship teams, but I would prefer him playing in european competitions)

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Not "might". David Choiniere literally signed for Forge instead of staying with Montreal to play CONCACAF league and win trophies rather than sit on the MLS bench.

I guess if I had to come up with a list of 80 or 150 teams I wished he played for there would be a bunch of Premier League teams on that list... like Liverpool.....

You're comparing Liam to an MLS bench player then? 

All I'm complaining about is folks who never would have said Basel in 128 tries are now hailing it as the ideal solution. I mean, my club, Barça, was founded by Basel fans and wears its colours, I've far more sentimental ties than most of you. Basel fathered us, it's the only club we owe anything to really. But that doesn't have to turn me into a bullshitter. 

I wouldn't be surprised if its the  story that gets another better deal going anyways. 

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All I'm complaining about is folks who never would have said Basel in 128 tries are now hailing it as the ideal solution. I mean, my club, Barça, was founded by Basel fans and wears its colours, I've far more sentimental ties than most of you. Basel fathered us, it's the only club we owe anything to really. But that doesn't have to turn me into a bullshitter. 

I wouldn't be surprised if its the  story that gets another better deal going anyways. 

I came up with an example of the exact situation you earlier described.

Let's just agree that 95% of people agree this is a good move.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

I came up with an example of the exact situation you earlier described.

Let's just agree that 95% of people agree this is a good move.

I must have missed it. I did catch that 100% of people agreed that they would never have said Basel in a thousand years.

In any case, it is not a done deal yet.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No, the loser mentality is yours, not theirs.

You think a few Forge players might want to play in a higher league with better salary. To save your argument, by all means, let's say just a few just might have this mentality to prefer a Cup, angel or horse on a pedestal to a surefire pro career with the prestige and salary of a better team and league.

Daniel Imhof played in Switzerland, won the league, transfered to a Bundesliga 2 club which promoted, then played little. If that is Liam's career, great, but I think the ceiling is a bit higher, so enough with the spin. 

BTW, when Imhof played in Switzerland the only person on the board who reported on his weekly play was me, for years. Because no one else gave a rat's ass about him being there, even then.

Well aren't you a delight. What bloody argument of mine are you saving? I just made a quip about your blanket statements on transfer destinations, I haven't even given an opinion.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think I have seen so many fallacies in one post before.

First you start with a Straw Man appetizer (no one was comparing Liam to an MLS bench player), then you indulge with a main course of False Equivalence (because people wouldn't have been able to predict Basel in 128 tries, we cannot say that it is a good move?) with a side dish of a new Straw Man (only one person said it was the "perfect" move, most said that it was a "good" or "great" move) with just a sprinkling of Courtier's Reply to wash it down (not sure what your fandom of Barcelona has to do with any of this).  Finally we finish with a dessert of potential Red Herring.  Truly a *chef's kiss* beautiful menu.

FWIW, I think this is a good move but I must admit that when I made the list of ideal destinations for Liam, FC Basel came in at 130, so it was indeed outside the top 128 so I'm not sure if my opinion is valid in light of this.  I knew that I should've bumped Atletico Ottawa and my men's rec league team further down the list because that would only benefit me and not Liam's development.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

First you start with a Straw Man appetizer (no one was comparing Liam to an MLS bench player), then you indulge with a main course of False Equivalence (because people wouldn't have been able to predict Basel in 128 tries, we cannot say that it is a good move?) with a side dish of a new Straw Man (only one person said it was the "perfect" move, most said that it was a "good" or "great" move) with just a sprinkling of Courtier's Reply to wash it down (not sure what your fandom of Barcelona has to do with any of this).  Finally we finish with a dessert of potential Red Herring.  Truly a *chef's kiss* beautiful menu.

FWIW, I think this is a good move but I must admit that when I made the list of ideal destinations for Liam, FC Basel came in at 130, so it was indeed outside the top 128 so I'm not sure if my opinion is valid in light of this.  I knew that I should've bumped Atletico Ottawa and my men's rec league team further down the list because that would only benefit me and not Liam's development.

The philosophy major in me really enjoyed that. 

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Also, if someone mentioned Liam going to a regular continental club outside the top 5 leagues with a reputation for selling players on to top 5 leagues... Basel would be in the top 10. 
I mean clearly he was never going to Ajax or a top 3 Portuguese team. After those sides Basel is right up there.

Which is why Basel is perfect. They would help him to mature and grow as a footballer and he would actually get to play on a regular basis not just in Swiss league football but also in Europa or Champions League which is what I like to think we all want for him right?

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Basel is perfect then. 

He might well end up going to another team, then watch everyone scramble to say how that team is really the ideal move.

There is no perfect move. Basel is a step up, where he’ll be challenged by other good players for a spot in the lineup. I’d have been happy with a move to the Championship as well, but I think the ability to be sold to a higher level is at least as likely from Basel as from a Championship team.

Also, just because we wouldn’t name Basel as a top choice ahead of time, doesn’t mean anything. I wouldn’t name FC Heidenheim as a top 10 choice of clubs for him to go to, but it doesn’t mean it’s a bad move if he had made it.

11 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Good work on the Wiki search on logical fallacies.

You didn't say if mine were formal or informal though. And you were not very careful about not using what you decry yourself.

Just for a start: you said I used a Straw Man, but you do exactly that by taking a peripheral and obviously rhetorical post I made to one poster about Forge and MLS, which in no way represents the core or central aspect of my point. Using an unrepresentative part to stand for the whole.

Then you take my point about my club team and Basel and minimize it with the classic "I don't know what it has to do with anything" argument, which is a classic attempt to nullify instead of representing accurately. 

This is the invincible ignorance fallacy--commonly known as feigning ignorance--where you just repeat you don't get it over and over. Invincible ignorance is circular and of course very effective.

You know what I was saying, but just did not feel like representing the argument accurately: straw man again, your term of the day. As I said: I have more reason than most people here to have a sentimental connection to Basel because I do in fact: we wear Basel colours at Barça since 1899 because the team was founded by Basel supporters. I support and am a member of a club that has an adulatory relationship with only one other club in the world: Basel.

This is simply to demonstrate I have no intrinsic or other bias against Basel when I say it is not a good, great or perfect move for Liam. 

But as I say, this rumour could well be out there to advance the negotiations with another better deal for Liam.

27 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If this is to be believed, the only outstanding item is the transfer fee - Millar has agreed terms with Basel. They have upped their offer from £1M to £1.5M.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-new-bid-submitted-for-liverpool-forward-millar/

Sounds like the perfect transfer fee.

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If this is to be believed, the only outstanding item is the transfer fee - Millar has agreed terms with Basel. They have upped their offer from £1M to £1.5M.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-new-bid-submitted-for-liverpool-forward-millar/

£1.5M is bit more than I assumed Liverpool would have received for Millar. Hopefully they dont hold out for more and delay this.

8 hours ago, Floortom said:

£1.5M is bit more than I assumed Liverpool would have received for Millar. Hopefully they dont hold out for more and delay this.

When the reports came out it could be 2 million euros, a host of Liverpool supporters on social media thought it was inconceivable. They couldn't believe a player like that could warrant a fee of that size. I think Liverpool must be in a similar mindset, they'll take a relatively small amount and move on. 

If Basel is offering that, there would have to be some other club offering a similar amount. You only sell for a decent price if you can. 

I'd guess he'd be making between 300-400k Swiss Francs a year, say just under or a bit more under half a million Canadian.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd guess he'd be making between 300-400k Swiss Francs a year, say just under or a bit more under half a million Canadian.

That’s good money for Liam - especially at the advantageous Swiss tax rates. Hard to believe he’d be netting that elsewhere.