Milan Borjan

Vince193

12 hours ago, Shway said:

Massive saves!

Some looked questionable, as he looked off his line. 

Anyone peep who the save on the decider was lol.

I actually thought his movement looked really clever — jumping forward but keeping a back foot still on the line. Hard to tell in real time though  if he pulled it off and stayed within the rules or got away with something. 

Edited by shorty

21 minutes ago, shorty said:

I actually thought his movement looked really clever — jumping forward but keeping a back foot still on the line. Hard to tell in real time though  if he pulled it off and stayed within the rules or got away with something. 

I actually nerdly slowed it down to really see. He's off his line on at least two, this one was obvious. 

1223785720_ScreenShot2022-02-17at9_54_02AM.png.dd636cdb00029ae9ca0ed0744b3e93ba.png

I'll assume they don't have VAR or its because its Red Star

I actually nerdly slowed it down to really see. He's off his line on at least two, this one was obvious. 

1223785720_ScreenShot2022-02-17at9_54_02AM.png.dd636cdb00029ae9ca0ed0744b3e93ba.png

You can see what I mean about dragging the leg behind though. Does make it harder to spot in real time and without VAR (assuming) it seems to have worked. 

Edited by shorty

I did the same thing and grabbed screen grabs on the saves.  He may be “off his line” according to the letter of the law but that trailing foot is either still in the line or really close every time.  I think it is a smart play and it paid off. 

Usually when I have seen keepers called for going early, they are an obvious step off the line.  In this case, especially in real time, it would be really tight given the small margins.  It isn’t actually much at all IMO.  

FB24FEB4-498F-4EB5-873E-B1C26A67A05C.jpeg

Real time is totally subjectable without VAR, and he got away with it.

I don't know about you guys @dyslexic nam @shorty, but I'm seeing clear space between his heel and the line.
We are using screen grabs from a dodgy video, so I can imagine what VAR refs would be able to see. 

And with VAR you're giving the kicker a second chance, and the tactic may not be that beneficial in the end. imo.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:59 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

...Also Mitrović was getting a laser pointer to the face so he is ready for CONCACAFery should he ever join the #CanMNT.

Having the penalties at the end where the Delije congregate was always likely to lead to antics that people from North America are not used to:

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Having the penalties at the end where the Delije congregate was always likely to lead to antics that people from North America are not used to:

Pretty well every basketball game is like that in southern Europe, at least. In Spain, Italy, Balkans, Turkey, Israel, Greece. I've been to the Palau to see Barça in Euroleague and if the game is close, or the refs make a slight error, or if there's a tussle, all the better: the entire pavilion bounces and it is very intimidating for rivals. 

The absolute toughest places used to be Athens and Istanbul, they'd throw small coins at the rivals and there'd be flares.

I understand why some NBAers speak of playing in Europe, just for the atmosphere (Durant has said this), maybe it reminds them of high school and university days. 

In European basketball it is almost better if it's close and controversial, as the smaller supporter section can often be monotonous, if it is just them then not so great. BTW, right now the Spanish Cup is on, and if you'd heard Adam Silver, they are seriously talking about creating a sort of Cup for the NBA. I think it'd be a great idea, either do single round knock-outs with all teams, or have each division winner qualify plus two best seconds, or include a host team, and do a 4 day quarter finals, semis and final. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

These are long highlights, but you can see he is really clearly cheating off his line on one of those saves. And the laser used for all the rival penalties: does that really bother you, is it that important?

He had no work during the game, the other keeper must have made 15 stops. R Nis was just defending the whole time, seems Mitrovic was a second striker or attacking mid but basically it is all defending.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of blasts from the past with some maybe forgotten background info

Milan Borjan is a 23 year old (6'3") goalkeeper who currently plays for FK Rad in the Serbian SuperLiga. Born in the city of Knin, a Serbian separatist territory in Croatia during the Yugoslav wars, he emigrated along with his family to Canada.

In 2005 he moved to South America where he played at the youth level with Boca Juniors and professionally with River Plate, Club Nacional de Football and Quilmes Atletico Club. In January 2009 he moved to Serbia and signed with Belgrade-based club Rad Beograd.

At the International level, it is expected that Milan will earn his first cap for Canada when they play Greece on February 9th, 2011 and will join a pool of Canadian keepers that includes Lars Hirschfeld, David Monsalve and Haidar Al-Shaibani.

In this interview (audio), Red Nation and Milan discuss his decision to play for Canada at the International level, his current campaign with Rad Beograd of the Serbian SuperLiga, his experiences playing soccer in South America with Boca Juniors and River Plate, his strengths as a player and his future goals as a young goalkeeper.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Milan_Borjan_nov_26_10_feature.shtml

More blast from the past

Canadian Connections: Milan Borjan
Mitchell Tierney February 23, 2013

It is certainly no fault of his own, but Canadian Men’s National Team goalkeeper Milan Borjan seems to be a major part of the lasting image of the disappointment Canadian soccer has experienced in recent years. With Canada needing a victory to advance to the knockout stages in the 2011 Gold Cup Borjan was in net for at 90th minute scramble that tied the game and eliminated Canada. His disappointment was evident. A year later, Borjan was again present in one of the most shocking events in Canadian soccer history, the 8-1 loss to Honduras which derailed their qualifying campaign for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

He was not in the net that day. Instead it was veteran Lars Hirschfeld who was victimised by Honduras’ ferocious offensive onslaught. However, possibly the most famous image from the now infamous match shows Borjan with his arm around a fellow Canadian, evidently in shock. It is a sombre photo, one that demonstrated the lows of soccer. But it also represents a bit of hope, Borjan’s head is up, his expression remains determined, as if to say: “we will be here again”.

“I think we just had really bad luck that day, Borjan tells Last Word On Sports, “We showed that we can play with Panama and Honduras, we had a great team and an excellent coach. I felt bad about the loss because we deserved to go through and get a much better result. All of the guys that were on the team had great desire to win, but luck just wasn’t on our side.”

The loss must have been frustrating for Borjan, who played the majority of the campaign as the second keeper behind the more experienced Hirschfeld, a goalkeeper who had been in these scenario’s before. However, Borjan is believes that it is now time for him to take over: “I think it’s time because my skills are finally coming to light and I have shown great results for my club which I would love to extend to the national team and for us to achieve success because we deserve it.”

Either way, Milan Borjan, a native of Knin, SFR Yugoslavia, already considers his role with the national team to be the highlight of his career:”I am definitely most proud of joining the Canadian national team, by far that is my biggest career accomplishment and the only greater thing would be competing in the World Cup.” He may now be the favourite to take over in net for Canada, possibly just in time to lead the side to his dream of a World Cup appearance.

Contrary to the belief of the majority of supporters and media in Canada, he believes that the next World Cup cycle presents ample opportunity for the nation to qualify for just their second tournament. Many Canadians have already turned their attention towards the 2022 World Cup, overlooking the next qualification campaign. Borjan believes this is an oversight as Canada “have a lot of experienced players which is crucial, especially competing at an international level. Therefore, I believe we will succeed in [qualifying].

A major part of why he makes a compelling case as the number one keeper for Canada is due to his incredibly impressive club form as of late. He is the starting goalkeeper for Sivasspor, a club in the top flight of Turkish football. Playing at the level has been of massive importance for his development. In this regard he has continued to impress, rendering himself one of the top goaltenders in his league.

“I’ve gained enormous experience [in Turkey] because I’m playing with a lot of world top players” Borjan dictates to Last Word On Sports, “and this experience, I think, is reflected in my great goalkeeping this season. Also, the Turkish league is among top five in the world. Different factors have contributed to my current success in Turkey, but most importantly it was the confidence I got from the coach and the entire team which has fueled me the most.”

Baring some unforeseen development, Milan Borjan inherit the starting job for Canada. Most likely commencing with the upcoming Gold Cup tournament, the first chance for the Senior Men’s program to turn the corner. His impressive statistics and performances in top flight European football this year has made him the clear front runner.

As Canada Soccer attempts to turn the page on one of their darkest hours, one thing is for certain: the goaltending is in highly capable and qualified hands.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, king1010 said:

He also mentioned on Breakfast Television that he wants to play in the 2026 world cup. 

Just yesterday I was wondering what his intentions are, so nice to come across this information.

Borjan will be 38 in 2026, which is old but not so old that we can rule him out. I am not sure we'd be getting peak Borjan by then, so maybe if he's still playing he'll serve as the team's back up with Crepeau leading the way as no. 1 heading into WC 2026. 

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just yesterday I was wondering what his intentions are, so nice to come across this information.

Borjan will be 38 in 2026, which is old but not so old that we can rule him out. I am not sure we'd be getting peak Borjan by then, so maybe if he's still playing he'll serve as the team's back up with Crepeau leading the way as no. 1 heading into WC 2026. 

I'm very confident that Crepeau will have been passed by then as well.  We have some solid young keepers developing.