Doneil Henry

Coramoor

15 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

China has strict foreign rule. I think 3 or 4 players

True.

Vancouver did go to Korea a few years back, however Henry wasn't there. They also played a few Japanese friendlies, mostly lower tier, but they did play against Sapporo. So there is a possibility I guess that a Korean or Japanese team were keeping track of those friendly matches.

Edited by Colliedor

If it’s the Chinese Super League we can at least watch him on One Soccer.

Japan or Korea would be good destinations. I hope it is not a club in the Middle East.

I think it is going to be China. Just a feeling. And If so it is somewhat of a lateral move. The league is perhaps slightly weaker, but there is Champions League to make up for it. Being in a big club is important also.

39 minutes ago, Kent said:

What is it about Doneil that makes him a target for secret transfers? Remember when he played half a season with TFC after being sold to a Cypriot team without anyone knowing?

His agent was (possibly still is) Kia Joorabchian.  Dude is shady.  Manager bungs, third party ownership breaches, the Tevez/Mascherano scandal etc. etc.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Hey finally one of our guys turning some good play into a pay day!!  And maybe the Whitecaps will fill their coffers too.  I've always enjoyed watching Doneil since he was 18 with TFC so long ago.  

Wasn't he out of contract and renegotiating terms to stay? I don't know how the option to renew works, especially if its not amicable on both sides. Can't see the whitecaps getting much, maybe enough to fill their coffee cups.

58 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Wasn't he out of contract and renegotiating terms to stay? I don't know how the option to renew works, especially if its not amicable on both sides. Can't see the whitecaps getting much, maybe enough to fill their coffee cups.

There seems to be this myth that club options are some exclusive MLS bullshit mechanism. Club options exist all over the world. If the Whitecaps have exercised a legitimate club option in his contract for next season, they'll be able to negotiate a fair fee for Henry's transfer out. No fee, no transfer. Simple as that.

Crazy move. The caps had one position on the field that was solid and that was CB. Henry, Cornelius, Godoy, and the young foreign player who I can’t remember. 4 solid players who all should be competing. I don’t understand why a team with no lack of money needs to get rid of one of their only decent players. I sure hope Doneil doesn’t get screwed by this.

12 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Crazy move. The caps had one position on the field that was solid and that was CB. Henry, Cornelius, Godoy, and the young foreign player who I can’t remember. 4 solid players who all should be competing. I don’t understand why a team with no lack of money needs to get rid of one of their only decent players. I sure hope Doneil doesn’t get screwed by this.

Probably because he wanted to go and the club preferred not to keep him against his wishes for what would be a year at most. Or, they were offered a very good amount for him.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

What is it about Doneil that makes him a target for secret transfers? Remember when he played half a season with TFC after being sold to a Cypriot team without anyone knowing?

To buy a work permit, essentially.

7 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

His agent was (possibly still is) Kia Joorabchian.  Dude is shady.  Manager bungs, third party ownership breaches, the Tevez/Mascherano scandal etc. etc.

Just love that guy, filthy fingers in many a filthy pie.  But he's not an actual agent.  He just "advises" clubs and player as to their rights, or so he says.  Henry's agency is the YMU Group last I read.

Overall a shame I think, but if anyone knows how short a footballers career might be, it would be Doneil Henry.