Doneil Henry

Coramoor

19 hours ago, Ivan said:

That's strange.  Didn't he play the first couple group stage games?  IIRC, he was in the ACL "Team of the Week" wasn't he?  Can't remember if that was before or after the original shutdown of the game.

That was in February or March before they restarted the competition in a central bubble in Qatar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_AFC_Champions_League_group_stage

He was on the injured list and did not travel to Qatar with the team in late November. His last game this year was the K-League match on October 31st.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Henry back on the bench for Suwon Bluewings today.  He enters the game at the 74th minute, first appearance since October.

Why was I reading this expecting to read something more at the end....Am I the only one?

Glad he's back playing. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We can't have him jeopardizing wcq by taking a red card against Suriname. I am nervous Herdman will call and play him.

There is no margin for error in that match.

Based on recent club and CMNT performance Vitoria and Miller should be the starters for the Suriname match. I will be both surprised and scared if Henry gets a start in that match. 

20 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Based on recent club and CMNT performance Vitoria and Miller should be the starters for the Suriname match. I will be both surprised and scared if Henry gets a start in that match. 

I agree, it just seems that Herdman really likes Henry. He's one of his positional leaders (or whatever it's called). I would go with Miller and Vitoria if Henry was available, but I am not sure that's what Herdman would do...

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's already been mentioned in the Canadians Abroad thread but Doneil Henry came off the bench to score the game winner in the 86th minute today on a nice header off a set piece.

It's been awhile since he has trained and played for Canada but if he's capable of travelling, he should be with the Canada squad next month.  Not everyone might agree with me but now that he is healthy again, I still see him as a presence within this squad.

26 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I know it's already been mentioned in the Canadians Abroad thread but Doneil Henry came off the bench to score the game winner in the 86th minute today on a nice header off a set piece.

It's been awhile since he has trained and played for Canada but if he's capable of travelling, he should be with the Canada squad next month.  Not everyone might agree with me but now that he is healthy again, I still see him as a presence within this squad.

I would call him up ahead of Ferriera for sure.

The thing that could hold him back might be Korean covid re-entry rules. I haven't checked on those lately.

Edit: K-League has a break from June 1 until July 20. So if he is healthy there is no reason why he can't be called. His team's last match before the break is May 29.

Edited by narduch

Watched the second half of his game this morning.  (He came on in the 32').  His side very much under the cosh for most of what I saw after taking an early lead (something like 70% possession for the opposition). They eventually conceded late to a through ball that went between him and the full/wing back (he was the RCB in a back 3/5) .  Still, 1-1 would be a decent result away to a better team. 

He is moving well, maybe too well as he still chases balls and players that take him out of position.  Obviously still physically overpowers a lot of the opposition and created a great chance from a corner. 

Overall, good to see him getting minutes. 

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Watched the second half of his game this morning.  (He came on in the 32').  His side very much under the cosh for most of what I saw after taking an early lead (something like 70% possession for the opposition). They eventually conceded late to a through ball that went between him and the full/wing back (he was the RCB in a back 3/5) .  Still, 1-1 would be a decent result away to a better team. 

He is moving well, maybe too well as he still chases balls and players that take him out of position.  Obviously still physically overpowers a lot of the opposition and created a great chance from a corner. 

Overall, good to see him getting minutes. 

I sure hope he makes the Final 23 man squad for the Aruba and Suriname matches for World Cup Qualifying