Doneil Henry

Coramoor

Hope the man gets a nice pay day at 26, should be an exciting experience for him. 

Also, not trying to be critical of VWC but I wonder if his desire to get off turf fields (not just Whitecaps, all of MLS turf fields) and play more games on grass played a minor role in him wanting to move.

Repeated play on turf can really take a toll on the knees, hammys and quads, especially if dealing with chronic or repeated injuries like he has. 

Wishing him the best.

Edited by apbsmith
Typo

10 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why? We don’t even know where he’s going yet.

I stopped flapping my hands around now. It's more than likely to do with how out of touch I am with the state of Asian soccer that I view it as a potential backwards step in terms of quality. 

Also its a case of seeing through rose-tinted specs that I see him as better than that. This isn't the same player that moved to Europe with promise and filled with potential when he moved to West Ham. I think I held hopes that the MLS move was just some time for him to rediscover fitness and form for another crack at a better league in Europe. The reality is that window has almost certainly passed and he will likely never become the player we had hopes for back then. He can still be a solid hand and grow, he is only just coming into his peak years as a CB. So I shouldn't be so negative. Even if it is a sideways or slightly backwards move, provided he is getting consistent minutes he will grow from the experience of a different environment and challenges.

I also agree that maybe this wasn't the Whitecaps preferred decision but could be his decision too. 

There are some very good clubs in Asia and decent leagues as well.  It's all going to depend where he ends up though.  In case anyone is wondering, 2 of the past 3 runners up at the FIFA Club World Cup have come from Asia (one from Japan & the other from UAE).  An MLS team has never even made a Club World Cup.  For CONCACAF, 3 Mexican clubs have finished 3rd as did Saprissa out of Costa Rica.

Historically moving to the Middle East or China/Japan was more for players near in the end of their careers.  As of late, much like the MLS this is not always the case as many quality Europeans & South Americans are making the move to these leagues in their primes.

Like I said, a lot will depend on where he ends up but an Asian Champions League team could be a slight step up and likely a increase in pay.  Would rather have seen him stay or move somewhere else in Europe but it might not be a negative move at all.  Time will tell.

In case anyone was wondering I just went and looked at the Club World Cup records over the past 15 tournaments.

Europe - 1st - 11 times / 2nd - 3 times / 3rd - 0 times / 4th - 1 time

South America - 1st - 4 times / 2nd - 8 times / 3rd - 4 times / 4th 0 times

Asia - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 2 times / 3rd - 5 times / 4th - 7 times

Africa - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 2 times / 3rd - 1 times / 4th - 2 times

CONCACAF - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 0 times / 3rd - 4 times / 4th - 5 times

Oceania - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 0 times / 3rd - 1 time / 4th - 0 times

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

There are some very good clubs in Asia and decent leagues as well.  It's all going to depend where he ends up though.  In case anyone is wondering, 2 of the past 3 runners up at the FIFA Club World Cup have come from Asia (one from Japan & the other from UAE).  An MLS team has never even made a Club World Cup.  For CONCACAF, 3 Mexican clubs have finished 3rd as did Saprissa out of Costa Rica.

Historically moving to the Middle East or China/Japan was more for players near in the end of their careers.  As of late, much like the MLS this is not always the case as many quality Europeans & South Americans are making the move to these leagues in their primes.

Like I said, a lot will depend on where he ends up but an Asian Champions League team could be a slight step up and likely a increase in pay.  Would rather have seen him stay or move somewhere else in Europe but it might not be a negative move at all.  Time will tell.

In case anyone was wondering I just went and looked at the Club World Cup records over the past 15 tournaments.

Europe - 1st - 11 times / 2nd - 3 times / 3rd - 0 times / 4th - 1 time

South America - 1st - 4 times / 2nd - 8 times / 3rd - 4 times / 4th 0 times

Asia - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 2 times / 3rd - 5 times / 4th - 7 times

Africa - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 2 times / 3rd - 1 times / 4th - 2 times

CONCACAF - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 0 times / 3rd - 4 times / 4th - 5 times

Oceania - 1st - 0 times / 2nd - 0 times / 3rd - 1 time / 4th - 0 times

I don't intend to dismiss the quality in Asia, but I just need to point out the asterisk that should be on that data. All but 2 Club World Cups were hosted in Asia, and the host country gets an additional spot. So in all but 2 tournaments there were 2 AFC teams, and 1 of the rest (the other 2 there were 2 CAF teams). The 2 Asian runners up were both hosts.

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't intend to dismiss the quality in Asia, but I just need to point out the asterisk that should be on that data. All but 2 Club World Cups were hosted in Asia, and the host country gets an additional spot. So in all but 2 tournaments there were 2 AFC teams, and 1 of the rest (the other 2 there were 2 CAF teams). The 2 Asian runners up were both hosts.

Thanks for pointing that out. Explains a lot. Like many others, I have been quick to dismiss the quality of Asian football, but after travelling to the region and watching games there, both club and international, it is clearly a higher standard than one would think.

The few people in Japan I have spoken to about concacaf think Asia is stronger. I think it is natural for people to be Homers and undervalue the regions they are less familiar with.

But yeah, having two spots definitely skews the numbers, not to mention the relative lack of travel.

Either way, good for Henry. I hope he gets a fat paycheck. I think he was on +$100k with Vancouver, so if he can triple or quadruple that number elsewhere, I am happy for him. It doesn't sound like he will be playing in footballing backwater. Kim Kee-Hee came from Asian football. Pretty sure he played Champions League with his Korean club and then he moved to Shanghai Shenhua, a big Chinese club.

I think it's a good look if Henry is a valued import in the Chinese Super League considering players like Hulk and Oscar play there.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Very true although most success from Asian teams in the Club World Cup have come from the Champions League winners and not the hosts although I think recently the hosts have had good results.

My point being that wherever Doneil ends up, that country likely has champions league experience.  The club may even have club world cup experience.  Something that neither Canada or the United States has.

Edited by Corazon

20 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Very true although most success from Asian teams in the Club World Cup have come from the Champions League winners and not the hosts although I think recently the hosts have had good results.

My point being that wherever Doneil ends up, that country likely has champions league experience.  The club may even have club world cup experience.  Something that neither Canada or the United States has.

Yes, it's true that the majority (I think 4 of the 5) of the 3rd place finishers were from the teams there on merit, rather than as hosts. But there is still an element of home field advantage. A couple of those were Japanese teams in Japan, and as Obinna pointed out, travelling from Mexico to Asia is a pretty significant handicap.

Edited by Kent

Unfortunate for him to get injured tn. As poor as he was tn, he is still top 3 cb for us. Hopefully, his transfer is settled and the team doesn't get cold feet.

This transfer is good for everyone involved. He gets a new opportunity and likely will be paid well, Vancouver makes some money on him, andvideally Cornelius takes his spot. 

Herdman built him up and put faith in him today, despite cornelius and Victoria looking almost infallible last month. John found out the hard way what others already found out. Henry is a liability. I already said tonight to a few people he is either a liability or a rock but the reality is when it's almost 50/50 he is a liability. 

He certainly doesnt hold the can for tonight. Herdman and most of the rest of the team do as well. They imploded again when it mattered most.

I agree he is top 3. It's just a shame top three for us wouldnt make top 6 for what we need. We desperately need investment and focus on central defence.

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

We've still got some contenders, Didic Zator, Comsia, Montgomery, TMG, Laurent, Kennedy. Would be nice to see several of those guys blossom.  And what happened to James?? Is he completely out of the picture?

James has been completley frozen out of his team.

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

We've still got some contenders, Didic Zator, Comsia, Montgomery, TMG, Laurent, Kennedy. Would be nice to see several of those guys blossom.  And what happened to James?? Is he completely out of the picture?

I mean - that’s a depressing list tbh but I would add Amuz

Edited by Floortom

We need help quick...if we are looking at u-17 guys for help...we are in HUGE trouble.  I am hoping we have a poutine camp with some more new faces, and someone stands out with the u-23s.  Then they move up a level and win a starting job etc...like Lareya and Miller did this year.  Funny how it goes, James has fallen off the radar and no one seems to want to play Henry.  We are getting thinner and thinner at CB.  

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

The 4 best defenders in CPL are all Canadian.  Zator, Didic, Gasparotto and Samuel.  That’s the best of our depth at the moment.  

With all the focus on CPL we cant forget the guys still toiling in south of the border.  Comsia, Montgomery both made a bunch of NCAA all america teams as seniors and had solid seasons in USL.  Comsia has been in lots of youth camps for canada.  TMG has been a workhorse for Ottawa and has 4 USL seasons under his belt at 22   If any one of these guys can catch a break and stick with an MLS team (with expansion) next year they could easily be in the conversation.