Doneil Henry

Coramoor

Yeah but 18 games into the season, the first post about his play is "look he fell and it led to a goal".  How long does a guy have to play relatively mistake free (no red cards/penalties etc) before people start to ease up?  Other than Jakovic we dont have anyone playing regularly, not James, Cornelius, Vittoria Miller, so they dont have opportunities to make any mistakes/goofs.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah but 18 games into the season, the first post about his play is "look he fell and it led to a goal".  How long does Doneil Henry have to play relatively mistake free (no red cards/penalties etc) before people start to ease up?  Other than Jakovic we dont have anyone playing regularly, not James, Cornelius, Vittoria Miller, so they dont have opportunities to make any mistakes/goofs.  

Fixed your post.

Clearly the answer for Doneil Henry is longer than 18 games.

At least he went this long without making a crucial mistake, which is a positive. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah but 18 games into the season, the first post about his play is "look he fell and it led to a goal".  How long does a guy have to play relatively mistake free (no red cards/penalties etc) before people start to ease up?  Other than Jakovic we dont have anyone playing regularly, not James, Cornelius, Vittoria Miller, so they dont have opportunities to make any mistakes/goofs.  

If paired with the right individual, he could be a big positive for the NT.  Before reading this thread today, i went to look up his age.  Though it seems like he has been around for ever, I was surprised to see that he is only 27.  For an attacker,  that would be his prime, but for CB’s you still have an upside of a couple of years.  Its easy to forget but he broke in with TFC at eighteen.  And, it seems, he has always played with bad teams relative to the league he is playing in.  

i would certainly be more comfortable with him in there as opposed to some very young guy who is not starting at his club.  Or some guy that we have seldom seen or even plays.

Edited by Free kick

On 8/2/2020 at 12:20 PM, baulderdash77 said:

So I just went frame by frame on it.  The guy pulled Doneil’s shirt with his left team to pull him to the right side then cut left and stiff armed him with his right arm as he made the cut. 

That goal should have been a yellow card.  It’s pretty unfortunate.

In watching this play I was actually quite impressed by the anticipation and work rate of the striker on that play (was he a sub or had he been on the whole match?).  With a different referee, maybe it's a foul but regardless, it shows the importance of closing down space on defenders in vulnerable positions.  Henry misplayed the original bounce and that provided just enough time and space to make recovery more of a 50-50 venture.  That's a good clip for a coach to show a young striker on why it's important to stay focussed in such situations.  

Edited by BearcatSA

On 8/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Free kick said:

If paired with the right individual, he could be a big positive for the NT. 

I truly believe this.  Even at this point in his career, he still would benefit from playing alongside a steady "quarterback" type of guy leading the back line.  I thought he did well with the Whitecaps (the fact that he and his back line partners and Crepeau had to face a shooting gallery too often had far more to do with the ineffective defensive midfield play in front of them), and he was able to leverage that into a move abroad, which I also believe is a good move (different, wider range of experiences on and off the pitch). 

Against the Galaxy recently I watched Jakovic give away a penalty on a late, awkward challenge and then later get skinned by Pavon on his goal which was called back for offside, and there was no discussion about it but if Henry did the same we would be having a handwringing fest on here.  On the other hand, even last season there were times where I watch him dive in to block or challenge and I  would close my eyes and hope that the ball didn't play off his arm or he didn't clip his opponent.  When he makes a mistake (which happens, even to guys like Van Dijk on occasion) he needs to have a short memory, Donnie Brasco "fugget about it," and get re-focussed on the game, and not have that error daisy chain into more mistakes (which I have also seen happen with him).

His physical talents are excellent, even after fairly serious health issues, but to get the best out of him, he needs to play alongside that back line leader.  For me, he's our starter at RCB.

On 8/4/2020 at 1:27 PM, SpursFlu said:

I think people need to pump the brakes on the Doneil hating. He's a solid player, definitely making a CMNT roster any day of the week. He's not perfect but has a lot to offer and always seems to come with the right attitude. Was one of my favorites when he was with the Caps

I can only assume this is because he scored such a critical goal at BC Place in the 2018 Voyagers Cup.  And by critical goal, I mean he forcefully headed it past the Whitecaps keeper to score for TFC and tie the game late 2-2.

And I think that's really the problem with Henry.  It's not just that he makes mistakes.  We're not talking about "he just missed marking his man".  We're talking him making the biggest, most bizarre mistakes in the biggest games at crucial times, and rather consistently.  He's almost certainly Canada's best CB right now and there's no chance he's not on the team.  But man, if there's a final game that matters for advancing to the Octo, I'll spend all 90 minutes just waiting for that horrific mistake.

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I truly believe this.  Even at this point in his career, he still would benefit from playing alongside a steady "quarterback" type of guy leading the back line.  I thought he did well with the Whitecaps (the fact that he and his back line partners and Crepeau had to face a shooting gallery too often had far more to do with the ineffective defensive midfield play in front of them), and he was able to leverage that into a move abroad, which I also believe is a good move (different, wider range of experiences on and off the pitch). 

Against the Galaxy recently I watched Jakovic give away a penalty on a late, awkward challenge and then later get skinned by Pavon on his goal which was called back for offside, and there was no discussion about it but if Henry did the same we would be having a handwringing fest on here.  On the other hand, even last season there were times where I watch him dive in to block or challenge and I  would close my eyes and hope that the ball didn't play off his arm or he didn't clip his opponent.  When he makes a mistake (which happens, even to guys like Van Dijk on occasion) he needs to have a short memory, Donnie Brasco "fugget about it," and get re-focussed on the game, and not have that error daisy chain into more mistakes (which I have also seen happen with him).

His physical talents are excellent, even after fairly serious health issues, but to get the best out of him, he needs to play alongside that back line leader.  For me, he's our starter at RCB.

Jakovic makes mistakes you expect, because he is only so good. Henry makes mistakes that nobody expects, because they are random and come from out of nowhere.

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And I think that's really the problem.  It's not just that he makes mistakes.  We're not talking about "he just missed marking his man".  We're talking him making the biggest, most bizarre mistakes in the biggest games at crucial times, and rather consistently.  But man, if there's a final game that matters for advancing to the Octo, I'll spend all 90 minutes just waiting for that horrific mistake.

Wait.... are we talking about Henry or Godinho?  

20 hours ago, Obinna said:

Jakovic makes mistakes you expect, because he is only so good. Henry makes mistakes that nobody expects, because they are random and come from out of nowhere.

And often spectacular bad for his team, like a red card or a PK given away.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is the joke that ACL stands for Asian Champions League? Ha.

Do not joke about him tearing another ligament. It is not funny. 

Pretty confused here as well...

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He has been out of the last 4/5 Asian Champions League games after playing in his team's first one.  Preview of the games say he is injured.  Anyone have more details?

How has he missed the last 4/5 Champions League games when the tournament is not going on right now? Or is it?

This suggests it is not until Jan-Feb 2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_AFC_Champions_League

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is the joke that ACL stands for Asian Champions League? Ha.

Do not joke about him tearing another ligament. It is not funny. 

Pretty confused here as well...

How has he missed the last 4/5 Champions League games when the tournament is not going on right now? Or is it?

This suggests it is not until Jan-Feb 2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_AFC_Champions_League

I think they are catching up?

They played today. 

https://www.the-afc.com/competitions/afc-champions-league/latest/news/vissel-kobe-edge-suwon-samsung-bluewings-on-penalties-to-seal-afc-champions-leag

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He has been out of the last 4/5 Asian Champions League games after playing in his team's first one.  Preview of the games say he is injured.  Anyone have more details?

None of Suwon's four foreign players travelled for the final knockout stage matches, so it's not just him at any rate.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

None of Suwon's four foreign players travelled for the final knockout stage matches, so it's not just him at any rate.

Maybe Korea is like Japan and if you are foreigner (even a legal resident), you cannot leave the country and get back in during Covid.  Its hugely discriminatory and been heavily criticized in Japan.

10 hours ago, An Observer said:

Maybe Korea is like Japan and if you are foreigner (even a legal resident), you cannot leave the country and get back in during Covid.  Its hugely discriminatory and been heavily criticized in Japan.

Let’s hope that isn’t the reason. If a rule like that was in place in March that would exclude him from WCQ matches... if the games actually happen.

14 hours ago, An Observer said:

Iniesta played for the Japanese side that Henry's Bluewings played twice in the tournament since the restart. 

That all said tranfermarket has Henry listed as "no eligibility" (rather than not in the squad) for the ACL games he missed since the restart.