Doneil Henry

Coramoor

• 1 month later...

The K-League has announced they are starting on May 8, will play a regular season plus playoffs. Doneil's Suwon plays the league opener against defending champs Incheon. 

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-soccer-korea/k-league-season-to-kick-off-on-may-8-minus-fans-idUKKCN22619H

All matches behind closed doors, I think they are already playing preseason matches.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's called "Doneil Style" and he has had years mastering it. 

Sad but true. At the end of the day, if we are playing a crucial qualifier away to Honduras, or Haiti even, I just don't have faith in him as the main  dependable guy in our back line. 

It is so frustrating. I have a lot of time for Doneil. He has the tools and we all want him to just put them together to be consistent because he could be an absolute beast for us. He still hasn't reached peak for a defender but he hasn't cut out the silly errors and I don't know that will happen at this point. 

He can still excel and be a huge player for Canada either way but it depends on who he is partnered with. The right fit and players around him can help. 

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

Video of the goal today. Looks like there was definitely a shirt pull from the forward but I'm not sure if that's what caused him to fall.

So I just went frame by frame on it.  The guy pulled Doneil’s shirt with his left team to pull him to the right side then cut left and stiff armed him with his right arm as he made the cut. 

That goal should have been a yellow card.  It’s pretty unfortunate.

I like Henry but we've seen multiple times his one mistake is generally one that leads to a goal or more often a penalty (which then leads to a goal).

Also he seems to have been solid in Korea but his club have lost most of their games this season. So take that for what you will.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I like Henry but we've seen multiple times his one mistake is generally one that leads to a goal or more often a penalty (which then leads to a goal).

Also he seems to have been solid in Korea but his club have lost most of their games this season. So take that for what you will.

Most goals are caused by a mistake by a defender. The whole point of the other team's strategy is make the defending team move around and make a mistake leaving an opening in their coverage. If there is a centre back that doesn't make a mistake I'd be impressed!

Edited by Ruffian

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Most goals are caused by a mistake by a defender. The whole point of the other team's strategy is make make the defending team move around and make a mistake leaving an opening in their coverage. If there is a centre back that doesn't make a mistake I'd be impressed!

With CB’s, its also about what you do as much as what you didnt do.  And what you do often doesnt end up on the highlights reels.  Or, sometimes what you do doesnt even get noticed unless you are on the pitch instead of the stands or watching on television.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Most goals are caused by a mistake by a defender. The whole point of the other team's strategy is make the defending team move around and make a mistake leaving an opening in their coverage. If there is a centre back that doesn't make a mistake I'd be impressed!

Of course.  And I am not trying to crap on Doneil.  But lets not pretend that there have not been enough conspicuous mistakes to create the reputation we are discussing.  Its not like a few years ago we just chose to unduly criticize one of our most promising young defenders like a bunch of cynical mean-girls.  Maybe there is some tendency to overly focus on the negative but I would argue that it comes from a perspective that is heavily influenced by some high profile and costly errors that don't seem as frequent or prominent among our other CBs.

I like Henry and have no qualms about him being called up. I think people here exacerbate his mistakes because if he could minimize or eliminate them the sky would be the limit. If he was a bit healthier and mitigated mistakes, he may have stuck at West Ham. There's a reason they bought him. Unfortunately it didn't work out, but all things considered I think Henry is one of our best CBs. 

Great to see him starting at a good level in the K League 1.