Doneil Henry

Coramoor

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

That's a PK all day long. It went off the middle of his arm, somewhere around his elbow and his arm is extended out like a dumbass. No excuse.

Can you post the video showing the clear hand ball? The one above is not clear at, I’d like to get a look at the angle you’ve seen. 

Edited by king1010

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Can you post the video showing the clear hand ball? The one above is not clear at, I’d like to get a look at the angle you’ve seen. 

Looks clear to me. Pause it on the second replay (1:28/1:29) and you'll see it hits his forearm near his elbow.

Its clear to you but not to the handful of above posters. Therefore in no way is it as clear cut as you make it out to be. 

Pausing at 1:30 the ball looks to hit dead centre of his chest, as others have mentioned above. Had it hit his arm you’d see much more recoil given the velocity of the shot. Also the ball explodes in the other direction most likely as a result of hitting a solid object such as his chest. Had it hit his arm you’d have seen the ball lose velocity versus explode 20 yards in the opposite direction. 

The footage is anything but clear and concise. 

Edited by king1010

Unfortunate penalty call if you ask me.  Regardless his play has been very good this year and hes our current top center back with James.

I think that Henry has his unreasonable critics such as Osorio.  Maybe people hold onto historical errors or previous years of play but both those players have been fairly consistent in recent years.

Typical Henry game last night. Super late tackle in the first half that was an orange card if such a thing existed. Then an amazing last ditch tackle to save a goal.

I still think I would prefer a more steady CB who commits less boneheaded plays, even if it means less spectacular ones.

Another good game for Henry today. Unfortunately result, but he is really dependable on the backline, something his former club TFC could use at the moment...

If I am being picky, he still needs to find more consistency in his passing if he wants to make the jump from good-to- great centre back in MLS.

That said, his presence in the back has completely changed from a few years ago. Before West Ham, he was young and rash, capable of outstanding tackles or bozo blunders (kinda like Mavinga at current). Now, he is almost like an old head back there - no nonsense defending with an air of self-assurance back there.

I am very happy how he's been progressing this season.

I've watched a few Caps matches this season and he continues to impress me as well, as Obinna says his organational skills keeping the back line on the same page are what really stand out, I think his passing from the back has improved as well although he's always good for a stray pass or two! He always has had the physical tools, he seems to have matured into a fairly dependable CB, I just hope he can remain healthy and continue his upward spiral!

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, masster said:

I still think I would prefer a more steady CB who commits less boneheaded plays, even if it means less spectacular ones.

Unfortunately, it's hard to shake a rep.  You have to build up a lot of positive capital before you get the overall trust and "mulligan" if you end up screwing up after that.  I was watching Mavinga's brain cramp challenge in the p.a. causing a penalty vs Minnesota and thinking if that was Henry, the Canadian would be getting crucified* for it. 

He's doing well, in his own style, and he has formed a good partnership with the less flashy but steady Godoy, who plays Serge Savard to Henry's Larry Robinson (sorry for the 1970s Canadiens' reference).  The biggest question mark position coming into the season has been the biggest source of strength for the Caps so far.  Kudos to both!

*Easter season reference was not intentional

^The strength of that header on Henry's goal was absolute BEAST MODE.

We have some serious potential to be huge aerial threats on set-pieces with Henry and James at CB. In addition to all set-pieces in general with our skilled players.

Here is a fact quote on just how valuable set-piece goals have become the last few years:

"Set pieces have been the main source of goals at the tournament in Russia 2018— 42 percent, no less — and England has been the master of that department on its run to the semifinals. Eight of its 11 goals so far have come via free kicks, corners or penalties."

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:
Here is a fact quote on just how valuable set-piece goals have become the last few years:

"Set pieces have been the main source of goals at the tournament in Russia 2018— 42 percent, no less — and England has been the master of that department on its run to the semifinals. Eight of its 11 goals so far have come via free kicks, corners or penalties."

Atiba has been a threat from corners & set pices this year and last year for Besiktas.  Add Cavallini's ability to score headers and you have 4 very strong candidates to score from set pieces.  Hoilett frequently whips corners in for Cardiff as well.

10 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Atiba has been a threat from corners & set pices this year and last year for Besiktas.  Add Cavallini's ability to score headers and you have 4 very strong candidates to score from set pieces.  Hoilett frequently whips corners in for Cardiff as well.

Plus MAK has also scored 2 headers this season

Canada are not only developing a team of technical attackers. We have several players who big and athletic, capable of scoring from and defending set pieces.

Kudos to Henry for the goal, he has been a threat on set pieces since he scored that header in the U23 Olympic qualifying. Now, he has made that a staple of his game.

The question is: who partners him?

James and Vitoria are arguably at the highest level club wise, but neither are playing regularly, plus Vitoria has not even earned a call up under Herdman. I don't think it'll be him, but James is likely (or at least is the popular choice because he plays on a top Danish team). I would argue he has the attributes to complement Henry as well, since he is more likely to carry the ball into midfield and set up plays. Also, both are fast and big. I just wonder if Herdman will stick with Cornelius or possibly Miller, since both are left footed CBs?

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The question is: who partners him?

James and Vitoria are arguably at the highest level club wise, but neither are playing regularly, plus Vitoria has not even earned a call up under Herdman. I don't think it'll be him, but James is likely (or at least is the popular choice because he plays on a top Danish team). I would argue he has the attributes to complement Henry as well, since he is more likely to carry the ball into midfield and set up plays. Also, both are fast and big. I just wonder if Herdman will stick with Cornelius or possibly Miller, since both are left footed CBs?

That's an excellent point. In my eyes he should bring in those 4 you mentioned, and find the best cohesiveness.

Henry, has seemed to have solidified himself as the Left CB as his primary position for the Whitecaps. I would assume Herdman would want to keep him playing him as LCB in our back 4, simply for consistency.

In 2017 James started and played Right CB vs Honduras (0-0). James was also brought in for Vitoria vs Jamaica , when it became clear Vitoria couldn't keep up to the pace of the Jamaicans. I believe James carried out that game at Left CB though, not 100%. Regardless, from an athletic perspective those are two quality CB's. 

Hopefully Henry continues his nice upward trend this season going into the Gold Cup and James keeps getting some minutes. 

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

James played 2 of the last 3 in the championship round and looks like he started today also so thats 3 of last 4

Agreed, looks like James has played himself into a starting role.  I think he is the leading contender to play next to Henry (who has been great this year) in the Gold Cup.

Based on recent playing time and the fact He plays on a top Danish team, to me it has to be James.  Miller & Cornelius are playing about one out of every 3 games for their teams.  Both likely to make the squad in my opinion.  If another center back is chosen, Cornelius is likely chosen just based on history with the National Team.  Both will make the 40 man roster, unless one has been informed they will no make the squad and choose to remain at their MLS club.

Honestly, I am more interested to see who makes the 40 man roster.  Top 20 players are essentially already set so I'm interested to see who the next 20 in consideration are.

Edited by Corazon

No need for players playing 1 in 3 unless they are way above their competition or offer something very important that others dont..comsia is starting every week on a top 5 team in usl championship..plenty will be starters in cpl and can fill backup spots..a couple cb's in 3. Liga...

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

That's an excellent point. In my eyes he should bring in those 4 you mentioned, and find the best cohesiveness.

Henry, has seemed to have solidified himself as the Left CB as his primary position for the Whitecaps. I would assume Herdman would want to keep him playing him as LCB in our back 4, simply for consistency.

In 2017 James started and played Right CB vs Honduras (0-0). James was also brought in for Vitoria vs Jamaica , when it became clear Vitoria couldn't keep up to the pace of the Jamaicans. I believe James carried out that game at Left CB though, not 100%. Regardless, from an athletic perspective those are two quality CB's. 

Hopefully Henry continues his nice upward trend this season going into the Gold Cup and James keeps getting some minutes. 

I had forgotten that Henry had shifted to the left when Cornelius lost his spot to Godoy. That makes it even more likely it will be James in the RCB spot, now that Doniel has shown he can handle it on the left. I wonder how critical it is for Herdman, if at all, to have a left-footed player in that position? 

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

MLS team of the week and top rated Audi Index player! That's the second  time this season already that he has made team of the week if I am not mistaken.....all aboard now?

Its a rorschach test.  Many people have made up their mind.  Non-believers will always bring up previous mistakes, he would have to go error free, no red, no penalties for the rest of the season for some to change their opinion.  For me I have always been a big fan and with him coming into his prime years hopefully he'll continue to mature.  Plus he is the whitecaps leading scorer...I'm just saying....