Doneil Henry

Coramoor

Maybe not the thread for it, but what do you guys make of the audible applause for Zlatan when he scored?

I am not necessarily a Whitecaps fan, but I really felt bad for them in that moment. I mean, I understand Juventus fans applauding Ronaldo last year for his spectacular overhead kick goal, but Zlatan scores an average goal and it is celebrated because it is Zlatan? 

I feel like Vancouver is one of the few places in MLS this would happen. You wouldn't get it in Seattle or Portland, or Toronto. 

We've all heard the half time Filippe interview, where he says the game should be about the home team, not Zlatan. Then, ironically and comically, they return from commercial break and proceed to broadcast a segment on the glory of Zlatan's debut with LA Galaxy.....

Really is a kick in the teeth for guys like Doniel Henry, who work their tail off defending against Zlatan all match (he did a fine job, too).

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Maybe not the thread for it, but what do you guys make of the audible applause for Zlatan when he scored?

I am not necessarily a Whitecaps fan, but I really felt bad for them in that moment. I mean, I understand Juventus fans applauding Ronaldo last year for his spectacular overhead kick goal, but Zlatan scores an average goal and it is celebrated because it is Zlatan? 

I feel like Vancouver is one of the few places in MLS this would happen. You wouldn't get it in Seattle or Portland, or Toronto. 

We've all heard the half time Filippe interview, where he says the game should be about the home team, not Zlatan. Then, ironically and comically, they return from commercial break and proceed to broadcast a segment on the glory of Zlatan's debut with LA Galaxy.....

Really is a kick in the teeth for guys like Doniel Henry, who work their tail off defending against Zlatan all match (he did a fine job, too).

I eluded to this on twitter. I was at the game and there were a lot of folks there who were soccer fans who I doubt had been to a Whitecaps game this year. Yes they cheered hard when he scored. But I didn't. Yes it was cool that I got to see a player of that magnitude score and I'm sure some whitecaps supporters did.

But what am I supposed to do? Buy up all unsold tickets so non-Whitecaps soccer fans can't get in? 

Also Felipe talks a big talk. He always says that right things which are incredibly endearing to fans (that may be how he legitimately feels too). But when I see him go in for dirty tackles late in games, not be able to keep up with the pace of play, dive... it makes it hard to cheer for no matter how much he butters up the fans. 

23 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I eluded to this on twitter. I was at the game and there were a lot of folks there who were soccer fans who I doubt had been to a Whitecaps game this year. Yes they cheered hard when he scored. But I didn't. Yes it was cool that I got to see a player of that magnitude score and I'm sure some whitecaps supporters did.

But what am I supposed to do? Buy up all unsold tickets so non-Whitecaps soccer fans can't get in? 

Also Felipe talks a big talk. He always says that right things which are incredibly endearing to fans (that may be how he legitimately feels too). But when I see him go in for dirty tackles late in games, not be able to keep up with the pace of play, dive... it makes it hard to cheer for no matter how much he butters up the fans. 

Well, I thought he was just stating the obvious in his interview. I don't see what it has to do with his playing style.

I am listening to ETR now. They suggest this wouldn't have happened if Vancouver were winning games. When the team is bad, Zlatan can come in and get that attention. The side show becomes the main show, so to speak.

I tend to agree, but you take San Jose, a team who has had Vancouver-level failures in the last few years, and that wouldn't happen.

They are a rival though, so let's use a better example, Philly. Same results as Vancouver, more or less, but I just can't see their fans applauding Zlatan for scoring.

What about Orlando? They have had even less success than Vancouver, but I wouldn't ever think they'd react the way Whitecaps fans did...

...but that's the problem perhaps, they were undoubtedly soccer fans who live in Vancouver, not Vancouver Whitecaps fans. I saw on the broadcast some were waving around Manchester United jerseys when he scored. 

I am trying not to make any broad generalizations about the people of Vancouver, but I feel there is something I can't quite put my finger on that caused this to occur....there is some sort of absence of home town pride with some people.....

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

You mean when he scored his 500 career goal on a round house karate kick? That's not comparable, is it?

I was going to post that if you didn't. Exactly, it was one of those moments where you tip your hat to a guy who's just on another level.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Well, I thought he was just stating the obvious in his interview. I don't see what it has to do with his playing style.

I am listening to ETR now. They suggest this wouldn't have happened if Vancouver were winning games. When the team is bad, Zlatan can come in and get that attention. The side show becomes the main show, so to speak.

I tend to agree, but you take San Jose, a team who has had Vancouver-level failures in the last few years, and that wouldn't happen.

They are a rival though, so let's use a better example, Philly. Same results as Vancouver, more or less, but I just can't see their fans applauding Zlatan for scoring.

What about Orlando? They have had even less success than Vancouver, but I wouldn't ever think they'd react the way Whitecaps fans did...

...but that's the problem perhaps, they were undoubtedly soccer fans who live in Vancouver, not Vancouver Whitecaps fans. I saw on the broadcast some were waving around Manchester United jerseys when he scored. 

I am trying not to make any broad generalizations about the people of Vancouver, but I feel there is something I can't quite put my finger on that caused this to occur....there is some sort of absence of home town pride with some people.....

What is worse, bigger players than Zlatan have come through BC Place, who have won more and are arguably objectively better even in his position (David Villa), and people did not seem to even realise who they were watching. Okay, so I've seen him playing for Barça for a season and being just a regular player who could not understand he was in Messi's shadow, so I am not in awe. Fine. But if you do want to be in awe, pick someone substantial. I'd take Pirlo or even Schwansteiger over Ibra, though he is obviously charismatic and funny in his own egomanic way.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is worse, bigger players than Zlatan have come through BC Place, who have won more and are arguably objectively better even in his position (David Villa), and people did not seem to even realise who they were watching. Okay, so I've seen him playing for Barça for a season and being just a regular player who could not understand he was in Messi's shadow, so I am not in awe. Fine. But if you do want to be in awe, pick someone substantial. I'd take Pirlo or even Schwansteiger over Ibra, though he is obviously charismatic and funny in his own egomanic way.

If only they shared your football sophistication....

?

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If only they shared your football sophistication....

?

You are a long way from BC Place, that's clear enough. 

Even Beckham is more deserving of accolade than Ibra, since the guy was a better professional, a better ambassador of the game, and way more humble when it comes down to it. And I only ever saw him as a rival.

It’s very North American to love loud and egotistical players. I think it mostly stems from the American sports like Basketball, Football, Baseball. Those sports usually make 1 specific player the “star” because those sports allow one single player to completely win a game by themselves. So naturally confidence, even to the point of being narcissistic, trumps being a team player.

I think Canadians typically value the team as a whole more than Americans, but unfortunately when it comes to soccer, we are still quite American in thinking. Everyone wants to see the “star” do something.

As I talk about this I realize that I am sounding like some egotistical fan now, which is kinda ironic. As people get more used to soccer, they will start to get more “sophisticated” in their knowledge and start to notice more in the game. I think we have a long time until that happens though if it ever does.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are a long way from BC Place, that's clear enough. 

Even Beckham is more deserving of accolade than Ibra, since the guy was a better professional, a better ambassador of the game, and way more humble when it comes down to it. And I only ever saw him as a rival.

Was just joking because your response had a know-it-all tone, but I actually agree with you. Well, I would say that considering all that both players accomplished, both should probably be in the same category. However, David Villa is relatively under appreciated, that is for sure. I mean, I do understand why the average person is more captivated by Ibra, because of the type of goals he scores, plus all the off-the-field stuff, but in an ideal world Villa would have enjoyed the same fan fare at BC place.

Actually, in an ideal world, neither player would get that sort of ovation :)

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Was just joking because your response had a know-it-all tone, but I actually agree with you. Well, I would say that considering all that both players accomplished, both should probably be in the same category. However, David Villa is relatively under appreciated, that is for sure. I mean, I do understand why the average person is more captivated by Ibra, because of the type of goals he scores, plus all the off-the-field stuff, but in an ideal world Villa would have enjoyed the same fan fare at BC place.

Actually, in an ideal world, neither player would get that sort of ovation :)

Okay, I get it, no problem.

I like Ibra now, now that he is in semi-retirement, he is funny and the formulas people come up with are quite hilarious. But he has never been any better than no 8 player in the world, more or less. That's not bad, and it is good enough for MLS--TFC won the league with Giovinco, who was never even in the top 100 in the world, ever.

I saw Villa at BC Place and he was poor that day. Pirlo was too his last game there. I never saw Beckham in MLS but in La Liga, and for all people say about him, he was a hard worker, he was loyal, and he cared. I once saw him take a late red for Madrid, at the Bernabeu, because the rest of the team was coasting and he was sick of his teammates being fine with a draw at home, so he lashed out to wake them up. As a player, for me, he was a great pro.  He was just limited, he had a few things he did well, and really should not have been asked to do much more nor even really lead.

This adulation stuff, I get it, but it never corresponds to reality. Just look at NBA all-star voting by fans, it's embarrassing, Derrick Rose still gets voted high, because he has a cult following not at all related to his real play, it is just a narrative some buy into. 

Whitecaps fans, as we now stand, have not one player fans can latch onto, with Waston gone, with Ousted long gone, and it is not clear anyone is willing to step up this year either.

7 hours ago, Ruud said:

Felipe!  ?

It is a matter of two things, success, and longevity. First you need to win, otherwise the narratives are off-colour, with exceptions like for youth (Davies), or someone doing something exception (like getting over a cancer while active as a player). Then, on top of winning, have players with consistency doing so, to associate them over a longer term with the success. 

If we win the Voyaguers Cup and Felipe scores the late winner, there you are. If the run in Concacaf Champions goes deep and Felipe continues playing well, all the better. 

Henry has been playing exceptionally well. To borrow a term from American football, he's been the Caps shutdown defender. He takes on the opponent's top striker and he's been successfully shutting them down. Except for the handball (a big mistake!), he was one of the best - if not the best - Whitecap on the day. 

Even if that did accidentally hit the upper arm, when it is a “ball to hand” kind of an incident I would like to see far more space between the player striking the ball and the player getting hit by the ball in order to call that a PK. Henry is about an inch behind the player and has no time to react after the ball is struck.