Doneil Henry

Coramoor

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not going to vilify Herdman for saying that. If anything, a good coach will err on the side of saying a starting-quality player won't be playing in situations like this to keep opposing coaches off balance - and if he gets fit in time to play, then bonus. 

Come on, haven't you been paying attention? We blame Herdman for everything now. Even for players recovering from injury quickly, that is obviously a reason why Herdman is inexperienced and should be fired.

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

Technically all of the Nations League games (or qualification games therefor) are friendlies. 

FIFA doesn't consider them friendlies.

I: importance of match

• I= 05 Friendly matches played outside of International Match Calendar windows
• I= 10 Friendly matches played during International Match Calendar windows
• I= 15 Group phase matches of Nations League competitions
• I= 25 Play-off and final matches of Nations League competitions
• I= 25 Qualification matches for Confederations final competitions and for FIFA World Cup final competitions
• I= 35 Confederation final competition matches up until the QF stage
• I= 40 Confederation final competition matches from the QF stage onwards; all FIFA Confederations Cup matches
• I= 50 FIFA World Cup final competition matches up until QF stage
• I= 60 FIFA World Cup final competition matches from QF stage onwards

Summary, you are given more ranking points for Nations League group phase games and even more ranking points for Nations League playoff matches than you do for friendlies. So, technically, they are not friendlies.

Edit: source - https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/fifa-world-ranking-technical-explanation-revision.pdf?cloudid=edbm045h0udbwkqew35a

Edited by Kent

• 2 months later...

An interesting quote from Cavallini that perhaps sheds some light on Doneil Henry's temperament and his track record for getting cards and giving away penalties:

Q: Who on the team would you be most scared to get in a fight with and why?

A: Everybody knows that.  Doneil.  'Cause Doneil's crazy man.  This guy gets mad, he's crazy.

On the other hand, it may be a psychological boost to know there's a crazy tough guy on your backline.   

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

An interesting quote from Cavallini that perhaps sheds some light on Doneil Henry's temperament and his track record for getting cards and giving away penalties:

Q: Who on the team would you be most scared to get in a fight with and why?

A: Everybody knows that.  Doneil.  'Cause Doneil's crazy man.  This guy gets mad, he's crazy.

On the other hand, it may be a psychological boost to know there's a crazy tough guy on your backline.   

If you asked me, I  would think that it's either him or Doneil.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:53 PM, Obinna said:

Care to elaborate?

Nations League was invented to give some meaning to otherwise meaningless friendlies outside of WC or EC qualification. In Europe, it's still just that. Concacaf decided to use the games for ranking purposes for the Hex but that was afterwards. 

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I like having a loose cannon on my kickball team. It can be fun in the beer league. As a CB at the highest levels, I am not sure it is a positive attribute. 

Right... No hot-head has ever made it at the highest levels... :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

Nations League was invented to give some meaning to otherwise meaningless friendlies outside of WC or EC qualification. In Europe, it's still just that. Concacaf decided to use the games for ranking purposes for the Hex but that was afterwards. 

In Europe, the playoffs for Euro 2020 are determined by the Nations League performance and no longer given to 3rd place and beyond from the qualifiers.   

So for example Scotland, despite being well out of touch with the 2 qualifying spots and behind 3rd place Cyprus in their group, are guaranteed a seeded place in the playoffs because they came top of the Nations League C. Nation League means a whole lot to them right now as they have in theory an advantageous 1 in 4 shot at making the Euros (via the playoffs in March), rather than probably a 0% one in the old system.  

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/video/0254-0d40fc7db8ef-0053b61bbe45-1000--european-qualifiers-how-the-play-offs-for-uefa-euro-2020-work/

A video that explains the process, if you care. 

23 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I like having a loose cannon on my kickball team. It can be fun in the beer league. As a CB at the highest levels, I am not sure it is a positive attribute. 

Message sending has value.  Risky business in CONCACAF but still.

No one really stands out in my mind, not since Watson or Fenwick, who've had the frame of mind necessary to be "that guy".  Even de Vos who could be a physical player.  He wasn't the sort who'd make an aggressive tackle into a crunching tackle just because the opportunity offered itself.  You know, for giggles.   

Or intentionally rake a forward.  Or crook his elbow out a little challenging for a high ball he was never going to get.  Or accidentally fall atop a player, knees first.  Or just straight up go and get a yellow by scything down some prick who though he could gallop outside you. 

Sigh....    

17 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

In Europe, the playoffs for Euro 2020 are determined by the Nations League performance and no longer given to 3rd place and beyond from the qualifiers.   

So for example Scotland, despite being well out of touch with the 2 qualifying spots and behind 3rd place Cyprus in their group, are guaranteed a seeded place in the playoffs because they came top of the Nations League C. Nation League means a whole lot to them right now as they have in theory an advantageous 1 in 4 shot at making the Euros (via the playoffs in March), rather than probably a 0% one in the old system.  

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/video/0254-0d40fc7db8ef-0053b61bbe45-1000--european-qualifiers-how-the-play-offs-for-uefa-euro-2020-work/

A video that explains the process, if you care. 

I know. 

They keep adding importance to the tourney I get it, but that was not how it started. And yes, as soon as they didn't call them friendlies anymore but Nations League, they became official caps. 

If you look at Europe, there's not a lot of "real" friendlies left in the agenda. 

40 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I know. 

They keep adding importance to the tourney I get it, but that was not how it started. And yes, as soon as they didn't call them friendlies anymore but Nations League, they became official caps. 

If you look at Europe, there's not a lot of "real" friendlies left in the agenda. 

Sorry, I guess I was confused when you said, "In Europe, it's still just that." 

When it was announced in 2014, that whole complicated process of providing the playoff teams for Euro2020 was part of the announcement.  No link has been added since, though there has been talk of linking it directly somehow to World Cup qualifying in the future (in addition to the Euros.)

It has eliminated a lot of the friendlies and that was the stated purpose.

It is probably not great for teams outside the confederation, especially if, like us, qualifying depends on FIFA rankings.  But that is not their concern, I would imagine; it was getting meaningful games and a path to more for their "minnows."

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is probably not great for teams outside the confederation, especially if, like us, qualifying depends on FIFA rankings.  But that is not their concern, I would imagine; it was getting meaningful games and a path to more for their "minnows."

BTW I hate using FIFA rankings. Just play games already!

• 5 weeks later...