Scott Arfield

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Arfield is a right foot, but I am sure he'll take that as a compliment :)

I knew he was a right footer, but the way he scored the goal with his left it had me wondering.  A quick google search and Transfermarkt has him as a left footer.   You forget the quality.  I watched one of the Europa league matches, but other than that the last I saw him against the US.  There's a lot of talent in both his left and the right.  That's one of the big reasons I'd like to see him get the call is just to see how he'd look with Canada again.

He’s started 3 of the last 4. He wasn’t starting much prior but has been at least coming off the bench for the last month or 2. If he keeps this up, his form will certainly be enough to be considered. It really just comes down to whether Herdman thinks he’ll upset the team chemistry/morale, which none of us on this board actually know.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

He’s started 3 of the last 4. He wasn’t starting much prior but has been at least coming off the bench for the last month or 2. If he keeps this up, his form will certainly be enough to be considered. It really just comes down to whether Herdman thinks he’ll upset the team chemistry/morale, which none of us on this board actually know.

This is spot on. Right or wrong, the coach makes the call. 

But at the risk of rocking the apple cart, I’m having a hard time with this one because it feels personal, and John and Scott should grow up and collectively get him back in the fold.

It was hard watching Floro sit Osorio when we were losing. It’s less hard watching Herdman sit Scott because we’re kicking ass. I don’t even know enough to know if the situation or remotely comparable, but in my gut they feel the same. 

I know a lot of people are confident about where we’re at for WCQ, but I’ll be more confident after the next window when we collect some points. I think that means putting every ounce of football talent this country has on the field in January and February. 

If we make it harder on ourselves by ego clashes, what is worse: Scott screwing with the chemistry by showing up or Herdman screwing with our chances by leaving him out with three midfielders out of season?

Hoping this one has a hallmark Christmas ending over the course of the next few weeks. 🤣🤣

*John answers door*
(scott holding sign that reads “tell them it’s carolers…)

Edited by Califax

Social media isn't the be all and end all, but I think it's telling that Arfield isn't followed by many Canadian players on Instagram, and only seems to follow Millar and Davies.

Now maybe Arfield doesn't use social media as much as the younger guys do, which is fair as it's not for everyone, but you'd still think that as teammates they'd at least follow him.

It's just another data point for the theory that there's a rift between him and most of the team.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Social media isn't the be all and end all, but I think it's telling that Arfield isn't followed by many Canadian players on Instagram, and only seems to follow Millar and Davies.

Now maybe Arfield doesn't use social media as much as the younger guys do, which is fair as it's not for everyone, but you'd still think that as teammates they'd at least follow him.

It's just another data point for the theory that there's a rift between him and most of the team.

Great find. Definitely show's he's not "cool" with the guys, and the team seems to have the power to not have him in. 

He's active enough for that not to be an excuse. Maybe Atiba isn't a good comparison as he has a different respect for Canadian players, but he has the same activity and heck he's even following Michael Bradley lol.

I get you can miss a few guys, but only following 2 guys is a tell tale sign. 

I used to be worried about team chemistry impact of bringing him back in, but if he continues good form and JH stresses to the team how light we are in January because of MLS guys being off I’m starting to feel like he can get the team to a place where they are okay with him being there in January (if this is even actually a thing).  It’s all up to Scott then - based on how he gels/performs it may be his last camp or the re-start of a few additional windows.

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

I used to be worried about team chemistry impact of bringing him back in, but if he continues good form and JH stresses to the team how light we are in January because of MLS guys being off I’m starting to feel like he can get the team to a place where they are okay with him being there in January (if this is even actually a thing).  It’s all up to Scott then - based on how he gels/performs it may be his last camp or the re-start of a few additional windows.

We have more than enough options in MF to not need Arfield. Whether we like it or not I think Harry Paton gets a call-up before Arfield does.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

We have more than enough options in MF to not need Arfield. Whether we like it or not I think Harry Paton gets a call-up before Arfield does.

I'd rather have Arfield.  I don't understand the we can get by without him mentality.  Let's just select the players who are the best and give us the best chance to win.  If that is Paton over Arfield.  Fine.  I disagree though.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Great find. Definitely show's he's not "cool" with the guys, and the team seems to have the power to not have him in. 

He's active enough for that not to be an excuse. Maybe Atiba isn't a good comparison as he has a different respect for Canadian players, but he has the same activity and heck he's even following Michael Bradley lol.

I get you can miss a few guys, but only following 2 guys is a tell tale sign. 

I guess Jonathan David doesn't like his team mates.  He only follows 3 CMNT players on twitter.  What will we do. 

At the end of the day, I think we are all coming in with our preconceived notions about the situation but we don’t really have a clue about what is actually going on.  Arfield and Herdman could hate each other and the door could have been closed months ago for a possible return.  Or all is actually fine, Arfield just chose to skip some caps, Herdman is ready to welcome him back, and we invented some elaborate fiction on the basis of a few facts and a tweet.  Or, as is often the case, the truth could lie somewhere in the middle.  No one here actually knows.  

But the reality is that Arfield would probably strengthen our midfield in January if he continues to get solid minutes with Rangers.   For that to happen, a number of things need to happen:

- there has to be no significant personality clashes with teammates that would destroy team chemistry

- Herdman has to want him back into the fold, preferably longer term (though he could theoretically just come back for a window to help a depleted lineup)

- Scott has to want to play for us again 

Any one of those things could torpedo his possible return.  But if all of those boxes can be ticked off (and it is entirely possible that they might be) then his inclusion in January seems like a no-brainer.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

At the end of the day, I think we are all coming in with our preconceived notions about the situation but we don’t really have a clue about what is actually going on.  Arfield and Herdman could hate each other and the door could have been closed months ago for a possible return.  Or all is actually fine, Arfield just chose to skip some caps, Herdman is ready to welcome him back, and we invented some elaborate fiction on the basis of a few facts and a tweet.  Or, as is often the case, the truth could lie somewhere in the middle.  No one here actually knows.  

But the reality is that Arfield would probably strengthen our midfield in January if he continues to get solid minutes with Rangers.   For that to happen, a number of things need to happen:

- there has to be no significant personality clashes with teammates that would destroy team chemistry

- Herdman has to want him back into the fold, preferably longer term (though he could theoretically just come back for a window to help a depleted lineup)

- Scott has to want to play for us again 

Any one of those things could torpedo his possible return.  But if all of those boxes can be ticked off (and it is entirely possible that they might be) then his inclusion in January seems like a no-brainer.  

As I keep insisting, if Herdman is constantly talking to players, and is not talking to Arfield, then it is not going to happen. And if he is not picking up and Arfield is calling, then not so good. If Herdman can insist in the face of determent and even boycott (what he said about Chelsea and Ugbo), then players should also be able to show the same determination. 

So I think that Herdman has to take it a step up, in terms of what results mean and reaching the goal, and move the whole team past any bygones with Arfield. It is a question of competent management, and it can be done. Look at the way Deschamps has brought Benzema back in after a very long hiatus and some tremendously bad blood (more complex, admittedly, and far dirtier). Herdman is a representative of the country, paid with public funds, and has to be able to lead in these questions. And leading here, for me, is calling up Arfield and letting the captains know what is what, so that you cut any reaction or qualms, public, private, explicit or occult, at the bud. 

Watched my first ever Rangers game on the weekend and Arfield most definitely looked bright and fit and was getting love on twitter during the match. My question: Is Herdman the type of gaffer who, when asked about Arfield's involvement in future windows, would literally say, "His time will come."? For my part, that statement, especially in the light of the "events" around the time of said statement, seems ill-advised at best unless he actually does (or at least did at the time) intend to call upon him.

Edited by PegCityCam

Is there a bigger question here? Does Herdman have a duty as gaffer to try to fix this over the next month?

(I do think if Scott wants to play again, he has a duty to reach out and show interest. but pride is a hell of a drug.)

Edited by Califax
addition.

14 minutes ago, Califax said:

Is there a bigger question here? Does Herdman have a duty as gaffer to try to fix this over the next month?

(I do think if Scott wants to play again, he has a duty to reach out and show interest. but pride is a hell of a drug.)

Herdman must have  had a part in naming Arfield captain so ......I trust him  to make the right decision...whatever that is. He badly  wants this team to get to Qatar. I doubt pride gets in the way.

15 minutes ago, Califax said:

That seems to be the sentiment, on here at least no? I tend to agree, and I think he's up to it. I'd like to see the entire team wearing "blue centennial kit baseball caps" at some point...if only as a true sign of all the healing and reconciliation they've went through.

This thread is like Sweet Valley High.  Is Johnny too proud to ask him back? What will Johnnys friends say, willl they accept Scottie now after all this time??  Is there still hard feeling there between the guys, who started it??  Well I heard Stevie G said some stuff to the mean girls. Who follows who on twitter?? Junior sent a cap emoji, it must be serious.  Why didnt Scottie go with Johnny for the spring formal...and now they still havnt called each other all summer and its ruining SENIOR year..but with the sadie hawkins dance coming up mb Johnny should just ask Scottie out... to hell with what the cool kids think.  

Last spring Afield was banged up, not healthy, personal problems,  mb not much help.  This fall he hadnt been playing and is therefore out of form and not much help.  If he is healthy and playing, and still doesnt get called in Jan with MLS guys in the offseason then there must be somthing else going on.  And lets get real, if we can parachute IKE in at this point in qualifying (makes everyone giddy), and we forgave Cavalinni for ALL THE SHIT he did and said (then the board loves him until he has a bad season with Van), we can bring back the former captain.  IF....he still has the legs etc, and it kind of looks like he does.  

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

This thread is like Sweet Valley High.  Is Johnny too proud to ask him back? What will Johnnys friends say, willl they accept Scottie now after all this time??  Is there still hard feeling there between the guys, who started it??  Well I heard Stevie G said some stuff to the mean girls. Who follows who on twitter?? Junior sent a cap emoji, it must be serious.  Why didnt Scottie go with Johnny for the spring formal...and now they still havnt called each other all summer and its ruining SENIOR year..but with the sadie hawkins dance coming up mb Johnny should just ask Scottie out... to hell with what the cool kids think.  

Last spring Afield was banged up, not healthy, personal problems,  mb not much help.  This fall he hadnt been playing and is therefore out of form and not much help.  If he is healthy and playing, and still doesnt get called in Jan with MLS guys in the offseason then there must be somthing else going on.  And lets get real, if we can parachute IKE in at this point in qualifying (makes everyone giddy), and we forgave Cavalinni for ALL THE SHIT he did and said (then the board loves him until he has a bad season with Van), we can bring back the former captain.  IF....he still has the legs etc, and it kind of looks like he does.  

Holy fuck that was my FAVOURITE one of the series!!! 

Screenshot_20211122-145129~2.jpg