Scott Arfield

On 11/25/2021 at 3:13 PM, narduch said:

The Rollins kiss of death.

I now fully expect to see Arfield in January.

My dream would be to see Arfield at Camp Poutine.

The Scottish League is on break from Sunday, January 2nd to the start of the late January FIFA international window.

Arfield would need to skip the Scottish FA Cup match against Scottish League 2 side ( 4th tier ) Stirling Albion to play against Guatemala.

Surely Rangers don't need Arfield for that match and he'd rather spend January in Florida?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

14 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

My dream would be to see Arfield at Camp Poutine.

The Scottish League is on break from Sunday, January 2nd to the start of the late January FIFA international window.

Arfield would need to skip the Scottish FA Cup match against Scottish League 2 side ( 4th tier ) Stirling Albion to play against Guatemala.

Surely Rangers don't need Arfield for that match and he'd rather spend January in Florida?

And here I thought you were going to say he'd rather s pend January with Jr. Hoillet.

50 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If Arfield is brought back, then it probably won't be during qualifiers but if Canada qualifies for Qatar, then he could possibly be in the mix as far as provisional squads go but making the final cut though is anyone's guess

If he keeps playing like he has the last few weeks, Herdman would have a lot of balls not to reintegrate him into the fold.  All these rumours or innuendo about him being a bad influence in the locker room, there’s no basis really.  He’s no Evander Kane here. He makes us a better team.  That’s the bottom line 

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

If Arfield is brought back, then it probably won't be during qualifiers but if Canada qualifies for Qatar, then he could possibly be in the mix as far as provisional squads go but making the final cut though is anyone's guess

There is no chance whatsoever that he skips all of qualifying, including windows where he would strengthen the team (like in January) and then gets called to play in the WC itself.  He will either join in January or (barring injury) he is absolutely done with the Nats.  

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

That is where the four Nation's League games in June could get very interesting if the ticket to Qatar has been punched. Could someone emerge out of that stretch and be in the conversation. 

16 minutes ago, Cblake said:

That is where the four Nation's League games in June could get very interesting if the ticket to Qatar has been punched. Could someone emerge out of that stretch and be in the conversation. 

I see most guys, the Davies, Davids, etc showing up for nations league.  If the ticket to Qatar has been punched these are great training matches for the roster to play together and keep building for the World Cup. It’s the year after, 2023 where you’ll see a lot of guys MIA at the gold cup.  

33 minutes ago, Cblake said:

If we've booked our ticket, everyone but Davies should be competing for their spot in Qatar at Nations League. Don't get me wrong, a lot of guys have their ticket booked, but unless you're Phonsy ... and maybe Borjan, Vitoria, and Eustaquio, I don't think anyone's spot in the starting XI is concrete 

48 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

If we've booked our ticket, everyone but Davies should be competing for their spot in Qatar at Nations League. Don't get me wrong, a lot of guys have their ticket booked, but unless you're Phonsy ... and maybe Borjan, Vitoria, and Eustaquio, I don't think anyone's spot in the starting XI is concrete 

Disagree. But I get what you’re trying to say. 

The reality is Davies is World Class…. But we also have a lot of top tier players who have performed at high levels, and have led their teams to champions vs a lot of raw, untested, up and coming talent.

Guys like Corbeanu, Fraser, Akinola…would have to have breakout, league leading,  career best numbers/performances to surmount Larin, David, Buchan or Osorio - because we know what those guys do. Perfect example, ZBG had a great year but has barely made it into the squad. 

I honestly think if the WC is 23 man rosters, 14 spots are already guaranteed if healthy. 9 spots are up for grabs. 

Players will play themselves into the side.  Players will play themselves out of the side.  That's the footballer's life.   For club and country.

Everyone's circumstances are different.  Personal, physical or professional.  At the end of the day it's down to the gaffer.  

Will say this, a-gin, it's hard work taking a place when you're on the outside looking in.  Think we can all agree on that.  

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Disagree. But I get what you’re trying to say. 

The reality is Davies is World Class…. But we also have a lot of top tier players who have performed at high levels, and have led their teams to champions vs a lot of raw, untested, up and coming talent.

Guys like Corbeanu, Fraser, Akinola…would have to have breakout, league leading,  career best numbers/performances to surmount Larin, David, Buchan or Osorio - because we know what those guys do. Perfect example, ZBG had a great year but has barely made it into the squad. 

I honestly think if the WC is 23 man rosters, 14 spots are already guaranteed if healthy. 9 spots are up for grabs. 

I think we're both saying the same thing in different ways. I'd agree around 14 spots are guaranteed, but that doesn't mean most of those 14 have their starting spots locked down. We just started Larin over David vs Mexico and David, according to most, is our second best player. We have half the board arguing that Arfield would leapfrog all our central mids except Eustaquio. Most of us are forgetting Hoilett even exists and he was playing some of his best national team minutes just this summer. And all this is ignoring how different we all looked at our depth chart a year ago. All I'm saying is a lot can change and no one, aside from Phonsy, should think their position is safe.

11 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I think we're both saying the same thing in different ways. I'd agree around 14 spots are guaranteed, but that doesn't mean most of those 14 have their starting spots locked down. We just started Larin over David vs Mexico and David, according to most, is our second best player. We have half the board arguing that Arfield would leapfrog all our central mids except Eustaquio. Most of us are forgetting Hoilett even exists and he was playing some of his best national team minutes just this summer. And all this is ignoring how different we all looked at our depth chart a year ago. All I'm saying is a lot can change and no one, aside from Phonsy, should think their position is safe.

This is pretty spot on.  You rewind a year ago, there’s a bunch of guys not on the team if we picked a roster November 29th, 2020.  I feel like there’s probably another name or 2 who between now and Qatar, if we make it, who will be on the team playing an integral role who aren’t as of right now, Arfield aside.  It’s crazy how far we’ve come in such a short time

Edited by EJsens1

9 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

If he keeps playing like he has the last few weeks, Herdman would have a lot of balls not to reintegrate him into the fold.  All these rumours or innuendo about him being a bad influence in the locker room, there’s no basis really.  He’s no Evander Kane here. He makes us a better team.  That’s the bottom line 

Yeah but then like I said he would probably make provisional squad but not final squad especially over guys who were there during the qualifying process but then again who would get dropped to make room for Arfield in the Qatar 23 or 26 man final squad depending on how many men can be on a World Cup squad?

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is no chance whatsoever that he skips all of qualifying, including windows where he would strengthen the team (like in January) and then gets called to play in the WC itself.  He will either join in January or (barring injury) he is absolutely done with the Nats.  

Again good point well if you wanna reintroduce Arfield back into the squad, then a good time to do it would be for the Guatemala friendly game but if not then the Honduras game for WCQ