Scott Arfield

5 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but then like I said he would probably make provisional squad but not final squad especially over guys who were there during the qualifying process but then again who would get dropped to make room for Arfield in the Qatar 23 or 26 man final squad depending on how many men can be on a World Cup squad?

I don’t wanna name names while guys are playing their hearts out, but I could see a few guys getting dropped. 

There’s no Thread on this yet, knock on wood, but the reality is there going to be some very disappointed people if we make the World Cup. Mainstays in this program, who were part of the fabric of what Herdman put together and the magical run, will be left at home, Either by injury or omission. 

Some people who have not played a single game for Canada, Or very few games for Canada, will likely be better than the guys would’ve played a whole qualifying campaign. That’s just a reality. 

It will be interesting to see how much Herdman stays with loyalty and how much he goes with the best player available. 

1 minute ago, Califax said:

I don’t wanna name names while guys are playing their hearts out, but I could see a few guys getting dropped. 

There’s no Thread on this yet, knock on wood, but the reality is there going to be some very disappointed people if we make the World Cup. Mainstays in this program, who were part of the fabric of what Herdman put together and the magical run, will be left at home, Either by injury or omission. 

Some people who have not played a single game for Canada, Or very few games for Canada, will likely be better than the guys would’ve played a whole qualifying campaign. That’s just a reality. 

It will be interesting to see how much Herdman stays with loyalty and how much he goes with the best player available. 

Exactly and during a FIFA World Cup, you wanna put forth your squad with the best players available but then also you have to look at your guys too who have been there from the start of qualifying into the Octagonal and so on and so forth. If Arfield continues this form and he regains his full form, then kind of hard to ignore him or deny him a spot for the Qatar final squad.

2 hours ago, Califax said:

I found it surprising when Platt talked about Osorio during a recent OneSoccer Today episode.  I think he said that he only played 22 minutes in the last window, but was locked in as a starter in the previous rounds.  He seems like a guy at risk of being pushed to the fringe - and Oso said as much when he notes that he may need to play at a higher level to stay in the picture as a starter.  I doubt he gets dropped completely but it does show you how things can change. 

Herdman is ridiculous if he ignores Arfield over not wanting to play teams our 3rd team could beat when he was going through a ton of injuries. 

Unless he's a locker room cancer, which I've never heard before, he's one of Canada's best midfielders. Eustaquio + Arfield would be insane.

At the end of the day, if it's only a personal grudge, Canada making the World Cup is more important. If we don't, it would be a massive failure for Herdman. Call him. 

Edited by Hawkguy

6 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Herdman is ridiculous if he ignores Arfield over not wanting to play teams our 3rd team could beat when he was going through a ton of injuries. 

Unless he's a locker room cancer, which I've never heard before, he's one of Canada's best midfielders. Eustaquio + Arfield would be insane.

I think a trio of Hutchinson-Eustaquio-Arfield could be marvelous. Front 3 of Davies-David-Buchanan ahead of them.

Not much weakness in that front 6.

Then in theory you have the following players available off the bench: Larin, Ugbo, Hoilett, Millar, Osorio, Kaye, Wotherspoon, Piette.

In practice not all of those bench midfielders and forwards make the 18, since you need to account for the keepers and defenders. Just goes to show how competitive the team is at the moment. 

Edited by Obinna

Starting for Rangers this morning against Dundee.  Certainly seems to be back in full swing these days.  

I found it odd that Wheeler seemed to pretty immediately dismiss the idea of Arfield’s return in January on the last episode of OS Today.  I assume he has a bit of insider access to Herdman and hears things that he isn’t at liberty to disclose.   Something about the way he said it (with a fair bit of confidence) made me think he may know that his time with the Nats is truly done - whether. Or. It it has been clearly made public.  

The January squad announcement will be very interesting.  

44 minutes ago, jordan said:

Looking good again.

I watched about 50 minutes until my stream started freezing up.  Arfield just moves the ball so quick.  He sees and read's the game like Eustaquio.   Just a high IQ player.  I really want to see those 2 on the pitch at the same time.  Arfield's such a poacher in the box too.  You watch him off the ball and he drops and sneaks in and finds those gaps.  Loose ball will find the back of the net when they fall to Scott.   Hope he's back.  He's still a really good player.

Interesting. I was rewatching clips and this one popped up from after our loss to the states. 

“full belief in the program, full belief in the manager and the staff and the players and we’ll be back and we’ll be back stronger.” In November 2019. 

Makes me wonder, how much of this is  real and how much is crap. Conversely it makes me wonder if some hurt feelings are fucking with our chance of World Cup bid. 

If he’s not there, Herdman owes us a detailed explanation. 

1 hour ago, Califax said:

Interesting. I was rewatching clips and this one popped up from after our loss to the states. 

“full belief in the program, full belief in the manager and the staff and the players and we’ll be back and we’ll be back stronger.” In November 2019. 

Makes me wonder, how much of this is  real and how much is crap. Conversely it makes me wonder if some hurt feelings are fucking with our chance of World Cup bid. 

I entirely agree - if he isn’t called up, we deserve an explanation.  There may or may not be good reason to include him -but at minimum we deserve to know the thinking.  

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Herdman would never give a real explanation if it's something bad

We don’t need to know the gossip - we just need a clear answer whether or not there is a chance of him coming back.  If not, I don’t care about the dirty laundry of he-said-he-said.  I just want to know that it is done.  Just don’t give me platitudes that he might be back if both sides know it is over.  Just tell it like it is. I don’t need to see the dirty laundry - bit I expect a straight answer.  

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

We don’t need to know the gossip - we just need a clear answer whether or not there is a chance of him coming back.  If not, I don’t care about the dirty laundry of he-said-he-said.  I just want to know that it is done.  Just don’t give me platitudes that he might be back if both sides know it is over.  Just tell it like it is. I don’t need to see the dirty laundry - bit I expect a straight answer.  

I still think you will never get this.

12 hours ago, Califax said:

LOL holy shit what a statement my guy. 

I can promise you this. Arfields inclusion in the squad will not be the reason we make the WC, likewise his exclusion won't be the reason if we don't make it.  That is a shockingly egregious statement. 

Also Herdman doesn't owe us shit, but to take this team to the WC. 
Message the media guys with press passes to ask those pressing questions that everyone is losing sleep over to Herdman. You know the guys who are employed by the people we pay a subscription to....Oliver Platt, Gareth Wheeler, yea, yea ask them.

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

LOL holy shit what a statement my guy. 

I can promise you this. Arfields inclusion in the squad will not be the reason we make the WC, likewise his exclusion won't be the reason if we don't make it.  That is a shockingly egregious statement. 

Also Herdman doesn't owe us shit, but to take this team to the WC. 
Message the media guys with press passes to ask those pressing questions that everyone is losing sleep over to Herdman. You know the guys who are employed by the people we pay a subscription to....Oliver Platt, Gareth Wheeler, yea, yea ask them.

Man, I think you’re playing to the extremes a bit on this. 

He likely makes us better (As he’s better than other dudes currently playing), and we haven’t qualified for anything yet.

Now If I could rephrase I’d say screwing with our chance to be at our best over the next year. So yes, fair play. But It’s the spirit of my post. We may qualify without him, sure. It might make little difference to qualification, sure. but if we do get there it will make a difference to have the best possible players on the pitch, and the real question is why wouldn’t we? To me the answer is Herdman. 

I think there’s an argument to be made that making the World Cup is not enough anymore. The talent that we have can do damage. And forgive me but I’m not sure Herman should get most of the credit if we do. But I understand that’s more up for debate. 

What I don’t think is up for debate, is that something would have to be quite egregious to not include one of the best 11 players Canada could field right now going into the most critical stage arguably ever for our country.

and for me -And this is more subjective - that a coaches refusal to accept that, Is borderline inexcusable. 

Edited by Califax
Clarity

8 minutes ago, Califax said:

And this is more subjective - that a coaches refusal to accept that, Is borderline inexcusable.

What many of you seem to be forgetting is that there is a veteran's committee that I'm pretty sure is consulted on these things.  Let's be hypothetical for a moment, the coach is asking us what we think about a guy we don't want on our team.  Considering he hasn't been included for so long can we consider that to be true?  Or conversely, we want a guy on our team but the coach won't bring him in.

How are we supposed to act if in either case the coach asks our opinion (for the good of the team) and then doesn't bother with what we tell him.

If (a big if) the player's don't want him on the team, why are some of you wanting them to risk "the brotherhood" which for all intent and purposes is the reason they have got to where they are, for a guy who may be marginally better than what they have.  I don't know about any of you but I haven't been on too many teams that were successful with people I don't like.  And I can hear all the platitudes like they're supposed to be professionals and all that but most teams that are successful long term are a "brotherhood" with trust being one of the biggest traits.

Not saying any of this is true about Arfield, but there's a reason he hasn't been invited.  Maybe the coach and players will think he's paid his penance and have him back in January, we're not there and we don't know.

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Good luck with that.

For Herdman's part why bother?  Would just create a negative conversation and controversy while his stock is high.  Best thing for him is just to keep stalling while mouthing the usual phrases and run out the clock.  IF that's Herdman's intention.  Still a big IF to my mind.   

The only thing Arfield can do is light it up at the club level if he wants to put pressure on Herdman to be recalled.  Again, at the end of the day that might not matter as Herdman will have polite excuses all ready to go. And it's not like Arfield can talk to the press, even positively about rejoining Canada and expect a benefit from if if Herdman doesn't want him back.

It's going to get real jolly around here (and quite rightly for Herdman) if circumstances make Arfield the no-brainer and he still doesn't get recalled.  Then we're going to have some fun. 

Joe that’s a perfectly valid point, but if you replace the word “brotherhood” with “clique” then it paints a different picture. From the limited information available, I feel it’s more towards the latter. It’s all about perspective. 

And I actually don’t buy into the point about brotherhood getting them where they are, I think it’s seizing on talent and opportunity. Brotherhood sells though. 

This thread will go in circles, and I’m certainly too pro-Arfield and unsure of Herdman to be unbiased, but something will seem immature about this whole thing until everyone starts acting like a professional. (Sorry for the platitude 😀 but it’s the key to this.) 

I’m trying to think how talented player would have to be to raise flags about an exclusion without an explanation. 

Edited by Califax