Scott Arfield

On 11/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, Wingback6 said:

I cannot fathom that people are still floating the idea of Arfield coming back. He's done. He decided he was too big time for the team. Now the team is too big time for him. Simple as that. Shoulda stuck it out.

This is conjecture. I'm sure most of us imagine it, but none of us know it for sure. 

4 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

I have a personal rule about how many words I post out of respect for the time of other people on this forum. Consider it. 

Arfield is/was in the same situation as every player to rep Canada. If anything it is a shame that he wasn't a few years younger/that this all started to gain momentum sooner. Arfield at his peak would have made us better. I don't think so now.

Maybe his priorities are elsewhere. Who knows. The point is, I don't see him coming back. Or any reason for him too. And i don't know why people are flogging this dead horse.

I have a personal rule that I don't assume what others do or do not want to read out of respect to them. Consider it. 

Arfield, if interested, could pick up a phone. Could have should have 3 months ago. Herdman does it. Do you think John wouldn't pick up? Hey, let's agree to talk in a few weeks. He could also send a msg via intermediary. But he'd probably want to admit, in one of those calls, that calling teams we were fighting "minnows" was not wise. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is conjecture. I'm sure most of us imagine it, but none of us know it for sure. 

He admitted it was pure speculation.

Remember when Cav was "done" with Canada? Or going a bit further, Radz? There has been a lot of examples. But I do not like the idea of burning bridges. Who knows why Arfield hasn't been capped recently. But if we want to bring him on and he's willing I think that would be awesome for us!

We need to remember we didn’t play for 14 months because of the pandemic and we don’t necessarily know how this affected his family and him personally. Was he feeling pressure not to come in March because of that reason but also because of the minnow statement? Probably. Maybe the same held true for June. We know he was called for the gold cup, was on the preliminary list but didn’t come apparently because of a small injury.

But by September we were rolling along like a well oiled machine, his playing time was less then before and I believe Herdman decided we had Eustaquio, Hutchinson, Kaye, Osorio, etc and probably did Scott a favour and gave him a break (I’m sure there’s something we don’t know about that has held him back from coming). 

I was disappointed he wasn’t called him September and October but less so now. I’ve realized we are more than capable of winning without him, but we will see how January plays out with MLS guys being out of season then. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Since we are speculating my theory is Gerrard was pressuring him not to go.

And his new manager will be more amenable to National team call ups.

Initially this was my thinking as well. Now I’m less convinced as his playing time dropped off so much anyway that it may just have been a personal decision (which I think he will look back at and regret). 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Since we are speculating my theory is Gerrard was pressuring him not to go.

And his new manager will be more amenable to National team call ups.

Arfield gets the start with his new manager today.  Hopefully he puts in a good performance.  Spoony is out 6 weeks with injury.  Eustaquio, Piette, Kaye, Laryea on yellows.  Piette, Fraser, Kaye out of season.  We need all options available to us for January.

26 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Arfield gets the start with his new manager today.  Hopefully he puts in a good performance.  Spoony is out 6 weeks with injury.  Eustaquio, Piette, Kaye, Laryea on yellows.  Piette, Fraser, Kaye out of season.  We need all options available to us for January.

I suspect some of the core MLSers to be there, such as Osorio and Kaye, but whether they play much is another matter. 

As for Arfield, I hope this is the start of more minutes and I hope he gets called back in. 

2 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

When did spoony get hurt?

I say bring him back this January...you never have too much depth and he will be in season form.

Also, none of us knows what's going on in the locker room. Possible he did upset some of his teammates but he had months to repents and reaffirm his willingness to play.

All that's needed is form and performance now. Despite some of the guys feelings, they all want to go to the World Cup and deep down, they know the team is that much better with him.

Wotherspoon got injured on top of it...soooooo

Edited by Ansem

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I say bring him back this January...you never have too much depth and he will be in season form.

Also, none of us knows what's going on in the locker room. Possible he did upset some of his teammates but he had months to repents and reaffirm his willingness to play.

All that's needed is form and performance now. Despite some of the guys feelings, they all want to go to the World Cup and deep down, they know the team is that much better with him.

Wotherspoon got injured on top of it...soooooo

Can't imagine watching this and still wanting to leave him out, during a January window where our MLS midfielders will be out of action. At the very least he should be in contention. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can't imagine watching this and still wanting to leave him out, during a January window where our MLS midfielders will be out of action. At the very least he should be in contention. 

Experience, composure and quick decision making under pressure.

We'd be foolish to not call him back.