Scott Arfield

Just now, Cblake said:

So he has not answered the call once again or simply was not selected this time around, wonder what the futre holds for him and the CMNT, is this the end of the line, only time will tell. 

I would say he's not being selected. My drop-dead date for seeing Arfield again is next January, when MLS players are out of season. If he is healthy and playing for Rangers and not called in then, we're not seeing him again in my mind.

Just now, jordan said:

Well he’s only really hit the ground in the last two weeks. Not much playing time prior.

But considering all the injured guys Herdman called in last time who never saw pitch, we know that calling in someone who has not been playing of late, it is still possible they get called in. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I would say he's not being selected. My drop-dead date for seeing Arfield again is next January, when MLS players are out of season. If he is healthy and playing for Rangers and not called in then, we're not seeing him again in my mind.

I agree.  The writing will be on the wall if he is healthy and playing and not included in January (if it isn't already).

3 minutes ago, gator said:

It's funny how we are all hoping a 16 year old kid with 0 professional minutes gets on board with our team and we have a seasoned professional who has contributed and in fact captained the team not getting called for whatever reason!

which 16 year old? 

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Arfield is not deserving of a spot especially if we qualify for Qatar

The players that give us the best chance of winning deserve a shot.  I'd still like to see Arfield in the next window.  I can't help but wonder what he'd look like with Stephen Eustaquio.   You can talk all you want about his commitment, but he did commit to Canada in 2016 at a time when he still had opportunities with Scotland.  That's got to count for something.

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Hopefully, he can train his way into more playing time.  

If the situtation works out, we still can't say no to his experience in the dogfight games that are coming. 

I keep saying this. Yes he is an experienced player that has played solely in the UK, recently playing in European competition. But he has no experience playing in North America or Central America which is clearly a different beast. 

Not to his fault, but he's played/been to Canada once, and has played once in San Pedro.....what experience are we talking about. He's never played at altitude, he's barely played in the sweltering heat of the islands or latin america.

Everybody looked at that Panama team as a bunch of "nobodies"  who aren't playing in top leagues....but look how they are doing based on their experience of playing in Concacaf. Omar Browne...Forge FC player was trusted to be in the squad that beat Honduras.

I said before if he's there in January then there's still hope for him. But if he's not his wiki needs to be updated to Canada 2016 - 2019. 

Arfield should be in the January camp. 

I get that he turned the first one down, then was hurt, then wasn’t called, but if he’s fit and getting minutes, he should be there. 

I feel everyone is just letting rumours swirl and assuming that not only is he washed up, but that he murdered the Lindbergh baby. 

36 minutes ago, Shway said:

I keep saying this. Yes he is an experienced player that has played solely in the UK, recently playing in European competition. But he has no experience playing in North America or Central America which is clearly a different beast. 

Not to his fault, but he's played/been to Canada once, and has played once in San Pedro.....what experience are we talking about. He's never played at altitude, he's barely played in the sweltering heat of the islands or latin america.

Everybody looked at that Panama team as a bunch of "nobodies"  who aren't playing in top leagues....but look how they are doing based on their experience of playing in Concacaf. Omar Browne...Forge FC player was trusted to be in the squad that beat Honduras.

I said before if he's there in January then there's still hope for him. But if he's not his wiki needs to be updated to Canada 2016 - 2019. 

Scott has played in both El Salvador and in Honduras.  Eustaquio, Laryea, Kaye and PIette are all on Yellows.  The experience is important and there is both injury risk and suspension risk in our midfield.  I hope we call up 26 players for the next window and I hope Arfield is one of them.  

8 minutes ago, Califax said:

Arfield should be in the January camp. 

I get that he turned the first one down, then was hurt, then wasn’t called, but if he’s fit and getting minutes, he should be there. 

I feel everyone is just letting rumours swirl and assuming that not only is he washed up, but that he murdered the Lindbergh baby. 

I don't think he's turned down the first window.  He just wasn't selected in September.  

4 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Scott has played in both El Salvador and in Honduras.  Eustaquio, Laryea, Kaye and PIette are all on Yellows.  The experience is important and there is both injury risk and suspension risk in our midfield.  I hope we call up 26 players for the next window and I hope Arfield is one of them.  

Unless you consider Houston part of El Salvador then cool lol. 
I agree, and I repeat... this will be the most likely time for him to get a call up (that's if GVB decides to play him more than Gerrard did).
You'e hoping for 26...i'm hoping for 28. Which should be more than enough for him to be in there.

I just won't be surprised if he's not.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, prairiecanuck said:

The players that give us the best chance of winning deserve a shot.  I'd still like to see Arfield in the next window.  I can't help but wonder what he'd look like with Stephen Eustaquio.   You can talk all you want about his commitment, but he did commit to Canada in 2016 at a time when he still had opportunities with Scotland.  That's got to count for something.

I mean the reason he chose Canada was because he talked to Scotland and asked if he was gonna get a call up and Canada were interested and they were like okay lol bye

Every international coach has that one guy they don't call, to make an example out of, to keep everyone else on their toes. Herdman showing he's the boss re. the Arfield situation is important to the group dynamic. This is not just about Arfield's ability to contribute on the pitch. Not sure if we need to rock the boat by adding such a big personality and former Captain to a settled and winning group with established leadership. 

Edited by BrennanFan

25 minutes ago, Shway said:

Unless you consider Houston part of El Salvador then cool lol. 
I agree, and I repeat... this will be the most likely time for him to get a call up (that's if GVB decides to play him more than Gerrard did).
You'e hoping for 26...i'm hoping for 28. Which should be more than enough for him to be in there.

I just won't be surprised if he's not.

OK that El Salvidor game was played in Houston in 2017, my mistake.  Houston is pretty hot and humid too though!  Regardless, Scott has played in Caribbean and in Honduras.  He's an experienced player.  You've been anti Arfield for months.  I just rate him more than you do.  To each their own.  We could have used him in the Jamaica match imo.

2 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

OK that El Salvidor game was played in Houston in 2017, my mistake.  Houston is pretty hot and humid too though!  Regardless, Scott has played in Caribbean and in Honduras.  He's an experienced player.  You've been anti Arfield for months.  I just rate him more than you do.  To each their own.  We could have used him in the Jamaica match imo.

I'm not anti-Scott lol...I find it weird when guys say I'm anti someone because my opinion isn't necessarily glorifying them or because I refer to present day stats.  He's just not in my starting XI -plain and simple.
I rate Osorio, Kaye, Eustaqiou, Atiba all higher for what they bring to the team. I get bothered when I see guys say he immediately goes into our xI over this guy - it's disrespectful.

I give praise when the praises are due. For Scott is hasn't been warranted for country since our pivotal moment in 2019 that he was a major part of! For club - bringing Rangers their first title since their relegation...however his recent influence for club has drastically wained.  

I will say, it is showing that you have blinders or an affinity (which is fine, everybody has their guy) on because either you haven't really watched him, or your mind is slipping because you keep saying he's played in places he's never played in lol. Unless you believe the US Virgin Islands is in Florida....

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

He's just not in my starting XI -plain and simple.  I rate Osorio, Kaye, Eustaqiou, Atiba all higher for what they bring to the team. I get bothered when I see guys say he immediately goes into our xI over this guy - it's disrespectful.

The relevant question isn’t whether or not Scott is better right now.  It is whether or not he will justify a position in January when he still is in mid-season form and the MLS guys will be 3 months out since their last competitive game (both TFC and LAFC missed the playoffs).  A lot will depend on Scott’s form and playing time in the buildup to the window, but we can’t say right now that he won’t be in contention for a spot.  

2 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

Yes it does count for something but he hasn't played for us for a while so what makes him any more deserving than players who have been here picking up the slack? We don't need him. That is how deep our national team is in talent now.