Scott Arfield

53 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Quote my post here: "Injured and personal matter to blame for in first two windows, no problem. "

But those weren’t the reasons he wasn’t there if you mean the windows in September and October, unless you are referring to last spring and summer to get into the Oct 

1 hour ago, TOCanada115 said:

I don’t know if I’m in the minority, but I don’t feel bad for that dude at all. Had a chance to come back and play for Canada, after it was pretty clear he’s an after thought for England, but he went back again. Was 13 when he left here, so pretty Canadian in my eyes. His loss. 

Wait, are you talking about Tomori? I read his family left when he was mere months not 13 years old. Maybe my memory is playing games with me. But if I'm right, Jeeze, Ted Cruz has a bigger right to consider himself Canadian than Tomori.

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

I personally feel entire "controversy" being over hyped and analyzed by us. 

To summarize my thoughts:

1) Glad stuff about teamates being posted publically that will only create unnecessary controversy and negative energy has stopped. 

2) No one is above the flag. If the team feels it will help them achieve a common goal, it should not be an issue for someone coming back into the fold. 

3) Arfield is a professional but the reality is he still needs to show form. So hopefully he will continue to have a run of games, regain some quality form and potentially rep the flag again.

All the best to him, I'm sure it must feel good for him to start logging minutes again.

Bemused by it all.  Tempest in a teapot.

Life gets busy even for footballers, circumstances didn't allow him to commit for a time, so big effing deal.   

As I see it, and this goes for any player who is absent from the program for a time, your fault, my fault, an act of God, it just doesn't matter.  If the team moves forward without you the team moves forward without you. 

Stick with whats working and don't disrupt the mojo.  Things have been working without Mr Arfield in the line up.  As it stands now he's on the outside looking in and will just have to await his opportunity.  And it will come.

As well as things have gone there's too much quality in the man for Canada to ignore his absence.     

Although, this was 3 years ago. After beating USA 2-0 in Nations League, I was out with about 17 or 18 of the players who went to celebrate.  Arfield was 100% right in the middle of the group the entire night with about a dozen other players all around him.  There were about half a dozen players who are currently an integral part to our current program who were there hanging around but on the outskirts.  There were about another 6 integral players on our current squad who did not even show up with the rest of the team to celebrate.  Although, I don't necessarily think its a big deal that those players did not show up because I do not know the reason.  But it seems like everyone on here loves to speculate on their own and pretend they know the reasons.

Anyways, point being is that 2 years ago, he seemed to be right in the midst of the core group.  A lot of time has passed since then and much could have changed but I just wanted to add some insight.

Edited by Corazon

16 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Holy 70s Batman!.  Very perceptive, underrated draft there.  In fact, might be my top three picks as well, although as a sleeper pick I would add Toni Tennille just for being on a Pink Floyd album.

I would like to watch Qatar while being fed grapes by a young Pola Negri, but I am not sure they had grapes back then.

17 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Holy 70s Batman!.  Very perceptive, underrated draft there.  In fact, might be my top three picks as well, although as a sleeper pick I would add Toni Tennille just for being on a Pink Floyd album.

I am a Pink Floyd fan and didn't know this fact, The Wall was not one of my favourites, I still enjoy listening to it once in awhile though, the things you learn debating soccer!

https://www.al.com/life/2020/09/did-you-know-this-alabama-singer-is-on-pink-floyd-classic-the-wall-album.html

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I would like to watch Qatar while being fed grapes by a young Pola Negri, but I am not sure they had grapes back then.

Just so someone else will identify (without looking it up) here is a reference I remember, from long ago.  It was embedded in one of my favourite series in my video collection.  Took a long time to find the series and get it digitally from Youtube (I had it on VHS) but I finally found it.  Video is cued.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

A team that drinks together is a team that wins together is an old saying from Rangers 9 in a row years.

After the loss to the US in Orlando, I ran into Arfield, Wotherspoon and Borjan and had a couple of beers.  Milan and Scotty seemed to get along really well (Spoony was the quiet one but we spoke about St. Johnstone which I had a tenuous link to back in the 90s so he opened up after that).  But it did seem like the Spanish speaking guys hung out together with the friends/agent.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

After the loss to the US in Orlando, I ran into Arfield, Wotherspoon and Borjan and had a couple of beers.  Milan and Scotty seemed to get along really well (Spoony was the quiet one but we spoke about St. Johnstone which I had a tenuous link to back in the 90s so he opened up after that). But it did seem like the Spanish speaking guys hung out together with the friends/agent.

So why wasn't Milan with them? ;)

9 hours ago, Corazon said:

Although, this was 3 years ago. After beating USA 2-0 in Nations League, I was out with about 17 or 18 of the players who went to celebrate.  Arfield was 100% right in the middle of the group the entire night with about a dozen other players all around him.  There were about half a dozen players who are currently an integral part to our current program who were there hanging around but on the outskirts.  There were about another 6 integral players on our current squad who did not even show up with the rest of the team to celebrate.  Although, I don't necessarily think its a big deal that those players did not show up because I do not know the reason.  But it seems like everyone on here loves to speculate on their own and pretend they know the reasons.

Anyways, point being is that 3 years ago, he seemed to be right in the midst of the core group.  A lot of time has passed since then and much could have changed but I just wanted to add some insight.

A lot has happened, but this was only 2 years ago

I think the simple fact that everyone else was down to fly down to Florida to beat up on some minnows while Arfield complained about the level of play (insert SPL joke here) turned Herdman off of him completely, after perhaps not being fully sold on his commitment when he took the job in 2018.

That Hoilett tweet will also live in infamy.

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think the simple fact that everyone else was down to fly down to Florida to beat up on some minnows while Arfield complained about the level of play (insert SPL joke here) turned Herdman off of him completely, after perhaps not being fully sold on his commitment when he took the job in 2018.

That Hoilett tweet will also live in infamy.

I agree somewhat.  But the part that has me confused the most is that Herdman has continually left the door open for Arfield to return to the team.  He's defended him and sometimes even explained his omission.  If Herdman was completely turned off from Arfield's decisions and attitudes, I find it hard to believe that Herdman would continue to leave that door open.  Herdman could just be acting as a professional but if he was fully done with Arfield, I just don't see him responding the way he has in the past year in interviews.  Nor would I see him including him on the Gold Cup preliminary roster for that matter.

I'm not saying that we're going to see him again but everything above suggests that Herdman doesn't have any animosity towards Arfield like some on here suggest.

34 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I agree somewhat.  But the part that has me confused the most is that Herdman has continually left the door open for Arfield to return to the team.  He's defended him and sometimes even explained his omission.  If Herdman was completely turned off from Arfield's decisions and attitudes, I find it hard to believe that Herdman would continue to leave that door open.  Herdman could just be acting as a professional but if he was fully done with Arfield, I just don't see him responding the way he has in the past year in interviews.  Nor would I see him including him on the Gold Cup preliminary roster for that matter.

I'm not saying that we're going to see him again but everything above suggests that Herdman doesn't have any animosity towards Arfield like some on here suggest.

Ohh you've got Herdman figured out wrong lol. I've said he's the biggest salesman...and like any salesman, they are going to say "even if this deal doesn't work out for us, we are still family". 

Herdman could just be simply speaking the formalities in regards to Arfield, making it seem like the door is open. But he could have made up in his mind to go with the guys they have now as is just giving the talk. 

Plus, he can't openly spurn and burn the guy he appointed as captain!

The more we continue to perform and get results, the more it's less likely we'll see him back. The reality set in last window with all the injuries, and still no call. Now that they are all back, and it's only a two game window...I'll be extremely surprised to see him back.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Ohh you've got Herdman figured out wrong lol. I've said he's the biggest salesman...and like any salesman, they are going to say "even if this deal doesn't work out for us, we are still family". 

Herdman could just be simply speaking the formalities in regards to Arfield, making it seem like the door is open. But he could have made up in his mind to go with the guys they have now as is just giving the talk. 

Plus, he can't openly spurn and burn the guy he appointed as captain!

The more we continue to perform and get results, the more it's less likely we'll see him back. The reality set in last window with all the injuries, and still no call. Now that they are all back, and it's only a two game window...I'll be extremely surprised to see him back.

This is basically saying the same thing I am but with a glass half empty approach.   😂

I can't go into Herdman's mind, none of us can.  That is why I was suggesting that he may just be him being a professional.  It does seem strange though that a player like Manjrekar James does not get the same support from our "salesmen" and was not included on any Gold Cup squad.  Not the same comparison as Scott was captain and a high profile player.  Given our depth at these positions though, they can be considered as having similar significance.  Along with very similar caps.  Manjrekar James has had no controversy attached to his name and still gets no love from our "family preaching" "salesman".  Perhaps, he just isn't good enough but given the defenders called into that Gold Cup preliminary squad, I have doubts that's why he was left out.

Note - I also don't want to make this about Herdman.  I realize I come of sounding Anti-Herdman and I'm not, I was just defending my stance on Herdman continually defending Arfield.

Edited by Corazon

When Herdman coached the women, I remember an interview with Emily Zurrer where she described being cut from the team.  She was told why she was cut, and what she had to do to get back on the team.  She addressed the problems, and was invited back at a later time.  Herdman doesn't seem to have the attitude that once you are out, you are dead to the team.  He is always trying to get as many players as possible competing to make the team, and trying to help those that don't make it to improve and try again.  His current statements about Arfield fit with his past behaviour.  Everyone that has the will and skills to make the team gets consideration.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I'm guessing Arfield can't be bothered to also make it known he wants to come. This goes both ways, it is not as if Arfield has been going to the media and saying that he has been frozen out of the team. Seems like he doesn't really care.

He hasnt made it known publicly.  Maybe after all the hulabalo over his comments last year he has wisely tried to keep his mouth shut and do this kind of stuff personally and privately. Instead of through the media and tweets etc.  Doesnt need/want to piss off his club or his national team, which prob would happen no matter what he said eh??  

Yeah, I don’t think any party would be further ahead if they tried to use media interviews to get their point across.  

Will we see him again?   No idea.  But I don’t take his silence on the issue as definitive (or damning).  If he was out there criticizing Herdman for not selecting him despite wanting to come back, I think things would be worse off.   

If I learnt Scottie had called Herdman, or they'd arranged a chat, and were on good terms, then I'd be thrilled.

A guy has a chance to go to the WC, and make a positive contribution to the team. That means more to me than if a teen from [insert country] with a Canadian parent opts for them instead of us. Arfield is definitely amongst our 15 best players and he'd strengthen the team.

20 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm guessing Arfield can't be bothered to also make it known he wants to come. This goes both ways, it is not as if Arfield has been going to the media and saying that he has been frozen out of the team. Seems like he doesn't really care.

That isn't exactly his personality though.  He's never complained.  He never complained about not getting called up for Scotland when many thought he deserved a call.  On the day he was to sign his transfer papers to Canada the Scotland manager Gordon Strachan called him.  He hadn't spoken to the manager in 2 years, so he obviously wasn't lobbying to be part of the squad.  He decided to make the switch and said to the Scottish media that his mom friends and family were a bit disappointed, but his Dad was absolutely delighted.  He also said he has no regrets about his decision.

There's team Canada and his club team and the third team his wife and 3 year old 1 year old child.  It's not easy leaving a young family.   He was pressured by his club trying to win the league for the first time in a decade.  He's fighting for his next contract for his family.   It's not a black and white scenario.

People are put out by his comments, but he never made any comments publicly.  People are upset about comments about what Herdman said on his behalf.  Scott's a good kid.  That's the way I see it.  He wasn't as committed as other players and that's why he's on the outside looking in, but it's not like he didn't have some reasons that one could say, "Yeah, I get it."  

I hope he finds his way into the side.  He will help the team.