Scott Arfield

44 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

when does the provisional list get released?

21 Oct is the deadline to submit to FIFA but it’s up to each federation to release it publicly. Considering our past record, I suspect we don’t.  13 November is when the final roster has to be submitted and FIFA releases those publicly on the 14 November so I suspect that is when we hear although many other nations have publicly said they will release theirs before that date.  
We probably will never know who is on the provisional list unless it gets leaked somehow.  

In a liberal democracy like Canada, I would hope the media would put pressure on the CSA for more transparency but the press are either more cheerleaders for the program or fall into the who cares bucket so I doubt much will happen to either release the provisional list or the final list early.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Alex said:

I apologize for this.

The CSA Twitter just wished him happy birthday. I’m always under the belief that things are usually posted for reasons. Just wanted to throw this out there. 

And on Instagram as well.

Jonathan David responded to the post with a "salute" emoji (Arfield's celebration). 

I am also just throwing this out there. 

5 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

If Hutch and Oso are at all doubtful, then we need Scottie to help out Steph. Kone will get minutes, but Scottie has a lot more experience.

I'd prefer if we had an option with more of a defensive conscience but this may indeed what it has come to.

Just now, jonovision said:

I'd prefer if we had an option with more of a defensive conscience but this may indeed what it has come to.

Even with his lack of defensive work (which you previously noted but otherwise I never noticed it), he'd still be a nice addition to the squad. Slightly different profile from Oso, but not entirely different, and should he be needed to replace the TFC man I would argue it's a marginal net loss or net gain, depending on which player you prefer (I slightly lean Oso). 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Even with his lack of defensive work (which you previously noted but otherwise I never noticed it), he'd still be a nice addition to the squad. Slightly different profile from Oso, but not entirely different, and should he be needed to replace the TFC man I would argue it's a marginal net loss or net gain, depending on which player you prefer (I slightly lean Oso). 

I think a healthy Osorio and Arfield have similar abilities and attributes as players. The main obvious drawback with Arfield is that he would be entering the World Cup having not played with any of these Canadian players for 2 years.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think a healthy Osorio and Arfield have similar abilities and attributes as players. The main obvious drawback with Arfield is that he would be entering the World Cup having not played with any of these Canadian players for 2 years.

Fully agree with that. Arfield is probably the most similar player we have/had to Osorio, so that'd be as close as a like-for-like as we could get. Would be a damn shame for Osorio to miss out though, so I hope he's healthy. I still believe Arfield is done with the national team. He'd be rather out of sync with the others at this stage, I imagine. 

I think one thing Osorio does better than anyone we have (Arfield included) is his movement off the ball. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Make that 3 yrs!. His last game in a Canada shirt was vs USA away in CNL on Nov 15, 2019. Yup it's been that long

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'd rather have a player who hasn't played with the squad in 3 years than a player who hasn't played football period in 3 months and might be one bump from being out for the tournament.  We can't ignore the fact that hutch and Osorio carry massive re-injury risk and they just might not be sharp.  We need to carry additional cover for these players. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

Wonder if he could of been useful today

That was a match that many of us on here referred to when we opined that Arfield may be desperately needed, whatever the reason is for his absence I don't think there can be any denying that he would have shored up an over run midfield yesterday!