Scott Arfield

1 hour ago, eramosat said:

have no fear...i already have my eye squarely on you and your heavily skewed bias for humour and what seems like  reason-ability, and de-escalation.  wish i could have the same approach at times.

just don't let it goto your head.

Meh.  This ego can't get bigger.

But its my hot takes that everyone should be listening to.  How can you argue with any of the following gems:

1) Stephen Eustaquio?  Why do we need him when we have Piette? (circa 2018)

2) Rob Friend is the greatest Canadian striker of all time! (2006 - Present)

3) This (insert name from list below here) kid is something special.  Keep an eye out for him in the future.
   a - Oscar Cordon
   b - Caleb Clarke
   c - Brody Huitema
   d - Ethan Gage
   e - Kennedy Owusu-Ansah
   f - Reda Agourram
   g - Olivier Lacoste-Lebuis
   h - Shane Lammie
   i - Damien Merrette
   j - Bryce Alderson
   k - Keith Mukubaya
   l - Gianfranco Facchineri
   m - Jeffrey Gonsalves

I could be missing some but did a quick search of games Arfield has played against Belgium and Croatian national team players. Experience vs these players could be huge. 

Belgium

Eden Hazard - 4 GP 

Kevin De Bruyne - 3 GP

Thibaut Courtois- 5 GP-  scored on him 

Romelu Lukaku - 5 GP

Toby Alderweireld- 4 GP

Jan Vertonghen- 9 GP

Jason Denayer - 2 GP

Croatia

Andrej Kramaric- 1 GP

Borna Barisic- they play on the same team

Josip Juranovic- 4 GP

Dejan Lovren- 3 GP

Edited by SpecialK

Games vs high end teams he’s already played against - 

Royale Union Saint Gilloise, PSV Eindhoven, SSC Napoli, Celtic FC, 

Plus Potentially he could be playing against Liverpool twice, Ajax, Napoli again all before the World Cup. 

other than Davies, Eustaquio , Borjan what other Canadian players are playing high end teams like that before the World Cup ? I’m pretty sure it’s no one. 

and we are gonna take Kaye who has been struggling plus will have zero games played before Japan  and other MLS players over Arfield who’s playing top end teams, who’s in really good form, who has played against the same players we are going up against and has played over 80 games in the world’s highest and toughest league. It’s Crazy!!! I don’t understand why fans don’t want us to do well in the first World Cup appearance in 30 plus years vs the world best. We need our best players in the roster and on the field. 

Edited by SpecialK

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Plus Potentially he could be playing against Liverpool twice, Ajax, Napoli again all before the World Cup. 

other than Davies, Eustaquio , Borjan what other Canadian players are playing high end teams like that before the World Cup ? I’m pretty sure it’s no one. 

and we are gonna take Kaye who has been struggling plus will have zero games played before Japan  and other MLS players over Arfield who’s playing top end teams, who’s in really good form, who has played against the same players we are going up against and has played over 80 games in the world’s highest and toughest league. It’s Crazy!!! I don’t understand why fans don’t want us to do well in the first World Cup appearance in 30 plus years vs the world best. We need our best players in the roster and on the field. 

If healthy and in form for Brugge, I think Tajon will play Atletico Madrid, Porto and Leverkusen before WC. Larin could see action as well. 

That said, I largely agree with your point. There is no comparing Arfield to Kaye currently. The question is will Herdman select him and will he accept? 

Edit: I'm sure everyone here wants Canada to do well. They're just doubtful Arfield will actually return. And while there is a glimmer of hope with his recent comments, the doubt is understandable since he has been out of the team for a few years now. But like you, I am hopeful. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

If healthy and in form for Brugge, I think Tajon will play Atletico Madrid, Porto and Leverkusen before WC. Larin could see action as well. 

That said, I largely agree with your point. There is no comparing Arfield to Kaye currently. The question is will Herdman select him and will he accept? 

Edit: I'm sure everyone here wants Canada to do well. They're just doubtful Arfield will actually return. And while there is a glimmer of hope with his recent comments, the doubt is understandable since he has been out of the team for a few years now. But like you, I am hopeful. 

I can’t believe I missed Brugge. I am so happy Larin and Tajon will get to see some top tier action 

On 9/29/2022 at 6:38 PM, El Hombre said:

Meh.  This ego can't get bigger.

But its my hot takes that everyone should be listening to.  How can you argue with any of the following gems:

1) Stephen Eustaquio?  Why do we need him when we have Piette? (circa 2018)

2) Rob Friend is the greatest Canadian striker of all time! (2006 - Present)

3) This (insert name from list below here) kid is something special.  Keep an eye out for him in the future.
   a - Oscar Cordon
   b - Caleb Clarke
   c - Brody Huitema
   d - Ethan Gage
   e - Kennedy Owusu-Ansah
   f - Reda Agourram
   g - Olivier Lacoste-Lebuis
   h - Shane Lammie
   i - Damien Merrette
   j - Bryce Alderson
   k - Keith Mukubaya
   l - Gianfranco Facchineri
   m - Jeffrey Gonsalves

thank you

19 hours ago, SpecialK said:

it's extremely simple.  and you will simply have to accept it as factual for many Canada fans, or continue to rail against their stubborness, or idiocy, or whatever else you think.

scott somehow exempted himself from all of the lead-up to this Canada success...every single part of it.  including what i understand was a declaration of no longer being interested in international play, less than a year ago, which seems to be an internationally understood signal of "i'm done, so best of luck, but i'm no longer willing."  

more damning...i do not think arfield represents the difference between a win and and draw, or a draw and and loss, in the upcoming WC.  not by a long shot...his participation moves the outcome bar in neither direction in any significant way.  he's just not important enough, with his ability, at his position. 

if he was a central defender standout, it might be a different story.

i think Canada has already demonstrated a great success at WC2022.  i do not think anything Arfield has to add can add anything meaningful to that group effort.  and certainly cannot for the 2026 attempt soon to follow.  

sorry.

1 hour ago, eramosat said:

...i do not think arfield represents the difference between a win and and draw, or a draw and and loss, in the upcoming WC.  not by a long shot...his participation moves the outcome bar in neither direction in any significant way.  he's just not important enough, with his ability, at his position. 

If we are at full strength, I think there may be some truth to this.  However, we are facing the very real possibility that both Osorio and Hutchinson (who often plays a more defensive mid role but could play further up if needed) may be unavailable through injury.  That leaves MAK and Kone as possible attacking mids to pair with Staq (and Piette) on the defensive side.  Alternatively we play someone else out of position - like Hoilett.

In the CAM role. While Kone is really exciting and may be able to do the job there, MAK has not shown anything in his games with TFC that suggests he is on par with a player like Scotty.  If we are missing probably our two top mids aside from Staq, I don’t think it is true that Scotty wouldn’t be an appreciable upgrade.  His addition would strengthen our team, even if just by giving us more quality off the bench.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

On 9/29/2022 at 1:54 PM, MtlMario said:

I think this W/C is very important. Just last week I asked someone if he would be cheering for Canada at the W/C, he said " I have to Italy isn't there". This is someone who only watches  soccer when it is the W/C or Euros. What's worse is there a lot of people like him that I know that think the same way. Most couldn't name 2 players on our N/T and do not know the difference between a free kick and offside. This is our chance to capture some of these people if we do really well. If we get clobbered each game they will all say " that's why I do not follow Canadian soccer".                                        

PS. Everyone loves a winner, unfortunately not everybody is like us that follow Canada's National teams win or lose.

Also, just like qualifying for a 32 team tournament has a bigger sense of accomplishment than qualifying for a 48 team World Cup would have, a similar thing can be said for getting results in a 32 team World Cup (as a bottom seed no less) as opposed to getting results in a 48 team World Cup. For example, if we manage to get out of the group stage this year with the teams ranked 2, 16, and 24, that is a bigger accomplishment than doing it in 2026 with home field advantage against one team seeded 17-32, and the other seeded 33-48. I'm assuming we would be put in the top pot as hosts in 2026, and as we know there is going to be 16 groups of 3 for the first round.

It's obvious from his 'never say never' comment that Arfield is itching to go to the tournament.  And why wouldn't he!?  But to have him sit out all the hard work and terrible travel - during a pandemic no less! - and then decide he's available would be nothing short of opportunistic.  After failing to make a difference when he was on the team, it would be him riding the teams coat-tails and putting someone else's cherry on the top of his career-cake!

He is not going to make a significant difference for us as we have better options.  If there are significant injuries, then it would be up to the coach to approach him and lobby him to come out of retirement, not for him to go on some media campaign to get himself in the squad.  He doesn't deserve it, we don't need him, and I can't wait to see the list of 26 without his name on it so we can put this conversation to bed!

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Cripes this is toxic.  Whining about the thread, then the thread is dead for two days and you come back, slam Arfield a bit, shit on what he did do for Canada and then end by saying you cant wait for this conversation to be over.  It can be over for you anytime.....just stop reading.  

Lol.  Goes both ways. 

This thread is over a hundred pages of the same thing. Big deal!!  He's had a nice run, I enjoyed cheering for him, and would again if he put the shirt on.  I don't think he should get the chance.

See you in a couple of days! 😜

2 hours ago, RJB said:

It's obvious from his 'never say never' comment that Arfield is itching to go to the tournament.  And why wouldn't he!?  But to have him sit out all the hard work and terrible travel - during a pandemic no less! - and then decide he's available would be nothing short of opportunistic.  After failing to make a difference when he was on the team, it would be him riding the teams coat-tails and putting someone else's cherry on the top of his career-cake!

He is not going to make a significant difference for us as we have better options.  If there are significant injuries, then it would be up to the coach to approach him and lobby him to come out of retirement, not for him to go on some media campaign to get himself in the squad.  He doesn't deserve it, we don't need him, and I can't wait to see the list of 26 without his name on it so we can put this conversation to bed!

Who’s the better options? Who’s playing at a higher level than Arfield  right now? Oso? Well he’s hurt and has never played in champions league? Or in the premier league ? Kaye ? Have you seen him play lately? Fraser division two Belgium higher than champions league? 

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Lol.  Goes both ways. 

This thread is over a hundred pages of the same thing. Big deal!!  He's had a nice run, I enjoyed cheering for him, and would again if he put the shirt on.  I don't think he should get the chance.

See you in a couple of days! 😜

I look forward to you being bored and sick of this thread, make sure you stop in and tell everyone, it really adds to the flavor.  But I like Arfield, I hope he plays for Rangers for a few more years and this thread can bother you guys into the next cycle.  

23 hours ago, RJB said:

He is not going to make a significant difference for us as we have better options.  If there are significant injuries, then it would be up to the coach to approach him and lobby him to come out of retirement, not for him to go on some media campaign to get himself in the squad.  

🧢

Sorry, just couldn't help myself had to with that comment. 

Edit: I'm not pro or anti Arfield, on the fence with this one to be honest. At this point I'll let the gaffer decide and I trust his decision. 

Edited by apbsmith

On 10/4/2022 at 2:54 AM, Bison44 said:

I look forward to you being bored and sick of this thread, make sure you stop in and tell everyone, it really adds to the flavor.  But I like Arfield, I hope he plays for Rangers for a few more years and this thread can bother you guys into the next cycle.  

I hope we get to the point soon, and I think we're almost there, that a player in the Scottish League in his mid-30s is not an automatic call-up for Canada.

34 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I hope we get to the point soon, and I think we're almost there, that a player in the Scottish League in his mid-30s is not an automatic call-up for Canada.

I think that is a bit harsh on Scotty.  He is, without a doubt, still one of the best midfielders we could call in if he was available - and I don’t think that is any sort of indictment of the program.