Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

What a weird interview. MAK hasn't been good for a while. He takes no blame for his performance including a Red card in such an important game. And just sounds butt hurt that Herdman thought he wasn't good enough. Truth is, he was so bad at TFC

The interesting part of the interview is seeing a firm and tough Herdman. It always seemed like he coddled his veteran players. It was nice to read that he had a backbone with some of them.

It is obvious Biello will not ruffle any feathers

57 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

What a weird interview. MAK hasn't been good for a while. He takes no blame for his performance including a Red card in such an important game. And just sounds butt hurt that Herdman thought he wasn't good enough. Truth is, he was so bad at TFC

The interesting part of the interview is seeing a firm and tough Herdman. It always seemed like he coddled his veteran players. It was nice to read that he had a backbone with some of them.

I don't think Herdman has any issues ruffling feathers or coddling the senior core.  His biggest challenge is an open mind.  He has his favorites and will live or die by them, but will never change his mind or thoughts on something or someone.  Stubborn to a fault.

21 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Frankly, I thought that with his performance at TFC he played himself out of an NT job (and this is coming from a guy who liked him when he was at his best and actually liked his acquisition for TFC at the time).  I saw a player who was too loose in possession in the wrong areas of the pitch at the wrong times.  Now, I believe I read somewhere after his move to NER where he said that how he was used in midfield didn't help his situation at TFC but man, you can at least control making sure you pass the ball to the guys who are wearing the same uniform as you.  I had no problem at all seeing guys like Ahmed getting looks in central midfield at the GC ahead of him.

I don't think I have ever seen a lose-lose trade like this one involving Kaye, Al Location, and Ralph Priso (when does new tsar Armas announce the Rapids roster moves with him getting the "thanks for your service" tweet?).  A sad face emoji transaction, indeed.

What do yo mean by AI location?

11 hours ago, blueseeka said:

That red card was bad, but it was also one game. His club performance was just as bad as Osorio remember? And their team was in utter shambles. 

I'm not a Kaye apologist, but the part where Herdman said he wasn't good enough for the Gold Cup team was absolute bullshit to me. Especially when they called in Fraser after Staq dropped out. Bombito was barely playing, Wotherspoon was barely playing.

Hear me out, its never good to come out and slag the ex-coach especially while you're still playing, but let's be real here Herdman wasn't tough for doing this, quiet frankly it was the easiest decision to do for various reasons. 

Borjan should've nevveerrr been the starting keeper, and when he was rotated look how he acted/what happened. 

I will say this, I've always said Herdman is a very smart, calculated man. (His only major fuck up was the Croatia shit talking) but IMO he made the easy decision by leaving the team due to the state of everything, he also didn't want to be the one  to have to affect the brotherhood where he would've had to start making the tough decisions of not including some guys. Kaye was an easy one, which imo didn't make sense for the Gold Cup!

13 hours ago, Shway said:

That red card was bad, but it was also one game. His club performance was just as bad as Osorio remember? And their team was in utter shambles. 

I'm not a Kaye apologist, but the part where Herdman said he wasn't good enough for the Gold Cup team was absolute bullshit to me. Especially when they called in Fraser after Staq dropped out. Bombito was barely playing, Wotherspoon was barely playing.

Hear me out, its never good to come out and slag the ex-coach especially while you're still playing, but let's be real here Herdman wasn't tough for doing this, quiet frankly it was the easiest decision to do for various reasons. 

Borjan should've nevveerrr been the starting keeper, and when he was rotated look how he acted/what happened. 

I will say this, I've always said Herdman is a very smart, calculated man. (His only major fuck up was the Croatia shit talking) but IMO he made the easy decision by leaving the team due to the state of everything, he also didn't want to be the one  to have to affect the brotherhood where he would've had to start making the tough decisions of not including some guys. Kaye was an easy one, which imo didn't make sense for the Gold Cup!

The Borjan story has been debunked by multiple people.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

The Borjan story has been debunked by multiple people.

That may be, but the moment Borjan is sitting on our bench, give him 3-4 games and he'll announce he's quit the national team. If he is left off for all of NL semis and final, for example, he'll bow out.

So it does seem to me that Borjan is committed, but as long as he's starting.

My problem with that is when Crepeau is our starter, and I think he could be, without Borjan our second option would be worse than it currently is. But that is it.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That may be, but the moment Borjan is sitting on our bench, give him 3-4 games and he'll announce he's quit the national team. If he is left off for all of NL semis and final, for example, he'll bow out.

So it does seem to me that Borjan is committed, but as long as he's starting.

My problem with that is when Crepeau is our starter, and I think he could be, without Borjan our second option would be worse than it currently is. But that is it.

Based off a made up story? Remember Borjan rode the pine in 2014 WCQ, has never turned down a call and has the Canada logo tattooed on him. There arguably has never been a more committed player to Canada than Borjan.

No chance he’s going to turn down a chance to be a part of a World Cup team. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't disagree, but isn't this exactly how things should work for a player at the end of his international career?

Just now, jonovision said:

I don't disagree, but isn't this exactly how things should work for a player at the end of his international career?

I can see a field player at the end of an international career, coming in as a late sub, getting a few minutes vs. lesser rivals. 

A keeper will just sit on the bench, so it is harsher.

I am not sure Borjan is smart enough to announce a retirement in a way that might afford him a send-off match, but we have so few friendlies we don't get to do that for any of our guys, not even Atiba.

On 11/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, blueseeka said:

What will be interesting is Herdman’s relationship with Osorio. Oso has not been good enough for TFC this year and did not deserve to be called up for the Nations league in the summer. Specifically, in the final, he got absolutely torched by Reyna and bullied by Weah. Yesterday, against Jamaica he was poor as well. He is presumed to be TFC’s captain next season. Will Herdman be as blunt with Oso or will he show favouritism? Oso is too slow to be the main man in TFC’s midfield. He especially doesn’t deserve Canada call ups. Look on social media and you’ll see the displeasure of most fans with his inclusion. lt’s pure favouritism at this point. Guys like Ahmed & Choiniere have had great seasons and are more influential but get no recognition.

Edited by anthony7

12 hours ago, anthony7 said:

What will be interesting is Herdman’s relationship with Osorio. Oso has not been good enough for TFC this year and did not deserve to be called up for the Nations league in the summer. Specifically, in the final, he got absolutely torched by Reyna and bullied by Weah. Yesterday, against Jamaica he was poor as well. He is presumed to be TFC’s captain next season. Will Herdman be as blunt with Oso or will he show favouritism? Oso is too slow to be the main man in TFC’s midfield. He especially doesn’t deserve Canada call ups. Look on social media and you’ll see the displeasure of most fans with his inclusion. lt’s pure favouritism at this point. Guys like Ahmed & Choiniere have had great seasons and are more influential but get no recognition.

I think all transitions take time. Sometimes I think most fans on social media treat player selection like they were playing FIFA or FM, but team sports are not a video game.

You have rightly noted that Osorio is not the player he was.

At the same time, so far he is doing a good job of transitioning for both Canada and Toronto. He's still useful on his day and he doesn't have to be the main man for Canada or Toronto at this stage. An experienced role player with a high IQ and great movement is what he is.

What he cannot afford to become is a liability and last NL and Gold Cup showed he can unfortunately be a liability. 

I think he was fine coming on to close out the game in Jamaica. I think he is increasingly used like that moving forward. Maybe even for Toronto as well. I can see Herdman making him the Canadian Michael Bradley, wearing the captain and playing heavy minutes, but no longer expected to fill the stat sheet in MLS.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think all transitions take time. Sometimes I think most fans on social media treat player selection like they were playing FIFA or FM, but team sports are not a video game.

You have rightly noted that Osorio is not the player he was.

At the same time, so far he is doing a good job of transitioning for both Canada and Toronto. He's still useful on his day and he doesn't have to be the main man for Canada or Toronto at this stage. An experienced role player with a high IQ and great movement is what he is.

What he cannot afford to become is a liability and last NL and Gold Cup showed he can unfortunately be a liability. 

I think he was fine coming on to close out the game in Jamaica. I think he is increasingly used like that moving forward. Maybe even for Toronto as well. I can see Herdman making him the Canadian Michael Bradley, wearing the captain and playing heavy minutes, but no longer expected to fill the stat sheet in MLS.

The thing is he was not fine against Jamaica. Oso looked leggy but most importantly he blew a big chance to really kill off this tie. Jamaica have a great chance to come back in this tie and win it. I believe they will. With the big Jamaican population in Toronto, this will not feel like an away game. Also, Bailey could have scored a hat trick against us. Trust me, this tie is far from over and Oso will rue his f*ck up.

If Oso takes the Bradley role, we are in huge trouble. Games are won or lost in the midfield. The players in MLS are younger, quicker and more agile. Oso is none of that so he will be a major liability for the next 2 seasons.

1 minute ago, anthony7 said:

The thing is he was not fine against Jamaica. Oso looked leggy but most importantly he blew a big chance to really kill off this tie. Jamaica have a great chance to come back in this tie and win it. I believe they will. With the big Jamaican population in Toronto, this will not feel like an away game. Also, Bailey could have scored a hat trick against us. Trust me, this tie is far from over and Oso will rue his f*ck up.

If Oso takes the Bradley role, we are in huge trouble. Games are won or lost in the midfield. The players in MLS are younger, quicker and more agile. Oso is none of that so he will be a major liability for the next 2 seasons.

I feel like this won't age well.

Remember the last time Jamaica played in Toronto? They'll be some more yellow this time around, but don't hold your breath on a 50-50 split. Jamaica are without Antonio, Bell, and Demari Gray has a question mark with his fitness, and there is discontent with Bailey and rumours (probably unfounded but still) that Bailey asked to leave camp. 

@Shway would have his finger on the pulse more than I, but from what I can tell the Jamaica fanbase seems pretty demoralized after last game. Combine that with the cold rainy weather and I can see a fairly partisan Canada crowd. I will go 80/20...what say you? I think the home crowd and momentum from last match pushes us to victory, not to mention the playing surface and the fact we haven't lost at BMO since 2010. 

As for Oso, yeah he could have done better on the chance, but that's also not his game to drive into the box at speed and get a shot off. Had this been Buchanan or Davies or Millar in that position I would have expected more. And I don't mean to defend Oso here, but where is your criticsm for the Larin miss late in the first half. Will he rue his f*ck up or should it only be Oso who is to blame if we don't get through? 

Final point, yes you need legs in midfield and Oso is losing his from what I see, but so is Hoilett and he's found a way to be effective. I think Oso will figure it out enough to remain in the pool this cycle and start most matches for Toronto. As I said before, I will be discontented if Oso is starting matches and getting muscled off the ball by younger, more athletic players (Reyna, Weah, etc.) and is turning into a liability. If he plays reduced minutes to see out games, there is less risk of that. I think we just have to use him in the right way moving forward. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I feel like this won't age well.

Remember the last time Jamaica played in Toronto? They'll be some more yellow this time around, but don't hold your breath on a 50-50 split. Jamaica are without Antonio, Bell, and Demari Gray has a question mark with his fitness, and there is discontent with Bailey and rumours (probably unfounded but still) that Bailey asked to leave camp. 

@Shway would have his finger on the pulse more than I, but from what I can tell the Jamaica fanbase seems pretty demoralized after last game. Combine that with the cold rainy weather and I can see a fairly partisan Canada crowd. I will go 80/20...what say you? I think the home crowd and momentum from last match pushes us to victory, not to mention the playing surface and the fact we haven't lost at BMO since 2010. 

As for Oso, yeah he could have done better on the chance, but that's also not his game to drive into the box at speed and get a shot off. Had this been Buchanan or Davies or Millar in that position I would have expected more. And I don't mean to defend Oso here, but where is your criticsm for the Larin miss late in the first half. Will he rue his f*ck up or should it only be Oso who is to blame if we don't get through? 

Final point, yes you need legs in midfield and Oso is losing his from what I see, but so is Hoilett and he's found a way to be effective. I think Oso will figure it out enough to remain in the pool this cycle and start most matches for Toronto. As I said before, I will be discontented if Oso is starting matches and getting muscled off the ball by younger, more athletic players (Reyna, Weah, etc.) and is turning into a liability. If he plays reduced minutes to see out games, there is less risk of that. I think we just have to use him in the right way moving forward. 

I feel my statement will age well. Thanks to ‘High IQ’ Oso. The same guy that missed the penalty to eliminate us from champions league contention.

Yes, Larin missed a chance but his overall game was solid. Excellent hold up play and great assist for the goal. Oso was coming off the bench with fresh legs and intel to see where he can make an impact. You say he has ‘high iq’, but if he did the ball would have been squared back in the box where numerous players were waiting for a simple tap in. Similar to what Lareya did, but Oso did not have his head up. Jamaica had tired legs/minds and switched off which is why Lareya was able to capitalize. A ‘high iq’ super sub takes advantage of situation's like that and kills off a tie.

Watch it back again. Oso had all the time in the world to make the right decision and came off the bench fresh but still f*cked up. Players in the box were begging for the ball to be cut back but selfish Oso squandered the chance. The Oso and Larin situations are very much different.

The Oso and Hoilett situations are very much different. Both Hoilett and Vancouver know that he is coming in as a role player on a team friendly salary. Oso is presumed to be captain and has a DP tag to his name. Oso said he has no issues of living up to the expectations of a DP player. The issue is he can’t and won’t live up to those expectations. He’ll be expected to play week in and week out and have impact. He had very little to no impact last season. I don’t see him figuring it out and playing reduced minutes. In addition, he is grossly overpaid. Unfortunately, due the reasons I mentioned, TFC will have no choice but to play him. This will end up making him a long term liability for both club and country.

Edited by anthony7

3 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Yes, Larin missed a chance but his overall game was solid. Excellent hold up play and great assist for the goal. Oso was coming off the bench with fresh legs and intel to see where he can make an impact. You say he has ‘high iq’, but if he did the ball would have been squared back in the box where numerous players were waiting for a simple tap in. Similar to what Lareya did, but Oso did not have his head up. Jamaica had tired legs/minds and switched off which is why Lareya was able to capitalize. A ‘high iq’ super sub takes advantages of situation's like that and kills off a tie.

Watch it back again. Oso had all the time in the world to make the right decision and came off the bench fresh but still f*cked up. Players in the box were begging for the ball to be cut back but selfish Oso squandered the chance. The Oso and Larin situations are very much different.

The Oso and Hoilett situations are very much different. Both Hoilett and Vancouver know that he is coming in as a role player on a team friendly salary. Oso is presumed to be captain and has a DP tag to his name. Oso said he has no issues of living up to the expectations of a DP player. The issue is he can’t and won’t live up to those expectations. He’ll be expected to play week in and week out and have impact. He had very little to no impact last season. I don’t see him figuring it out and playing reduced minutes. In addition, he is grossly overpaid. Unfortunately, due the reasons I mentioned,TFC will have no choice but to play him. This will end up making him a long term liability for both club and country.

I will have to watch it back. All I say at this point is meh shrug my shoulders at it all. I mean, what did you expect for a player who hasn't played in a month and hasn't been sharp for a long time? For someone who doesn't rate Oso you seem to expect a lot from him.

Given his form maybe he should not be picked for Canada, let alone given minutes, but again I am really in "who cares" category when it comes to Osorio. His movement and ball retention are generally good and he is composed and has experience. I feel like you are freaking out a bit on this one play. I won't complain about it much just like I won't complain that Larin missed a golden chance on a rough pitch with a bobbling pass coming into him. Sure, he could have taken a touch and slotted it in, but whatever. We got the result we deserved on the day and it was a good result. I don't think missed opportunities will cost us, be it Oso or Larin or whomever.

I think we'll take control of the game tomorrow in the first half, then we will see out the result, maybe add to our lead, then see it out with LDF coming on for the final few minutes. It will be good vibes all around, I believe. 

Re: Oso Salary

Yes he is overpaid at this point. He won't get another contract like he currently has and I doubt he'll be a DP player much longer. The sky is not falling and things will eventually adjust in time. When they can they will buy him down to TAM which is closer to fair value.. 

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt Oso get 4g and 6 assists last year?  Hell even Kaye got 2g for TFC last year....just checking.  

And Choniere had just 5 goals and 5 assists, yet some people act as if Oso getting picked ahead of him is some great injustice. Yes Choniere is on the come up and yes he had a career year and yes Oso had a challenging year despite the stats, but he also has 70 caps to Choniere's 1. I don't get the surprise and shock. 

I love that Mathieu finally broke out and got his cap. It was overdue by a few seasons, but he's still just 24. His best years are ahead and there is plenty of time for him to take over for Oso. I don't get why some people feel rushed over this happening immediately. It will happen naturally in due course. 

^^^ This.  Or even hyping Ahmed...umm the guys has had a dozen MLS starts, 1 promising season.  I want to get the younger guys involved too but you cant drop every vet who is having an off season (David/Larin/Lareya) and expect to win a tough game on the road....which we did..you might say even a historic win.  Choniere deserves his shot, he does so much all over the field, but I dont think we need to scrap Kaye/Oso etc just yet.  From all I could see Kaye played pretty well in NE once he didnt have the hometown critics all over his back. I think Oso and Kaye will just have to accept roles more like onetime automatic call up Piette.  They might not make every roster, and they arent pencilled in as starters anymore, unless they start to show they can contribute like they used to.   

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

^^^ This.  Or even hyping Ahmed...umm the guys has had a dozen MLS starts, 1 promising season.  I want to get the younger guys involved too but you cant drop every vet who is having an off season (David/Larin/Lareya) and expect to win a tough game on the road....which we did..you might say even a historic win.  Choniere deserves his shot, he does so much all over the field, but I dont think we need to scrap Kaye/Oso etc just yet.  From all I could see Kaye played pretty well in NE once he didnt have the hometown critics all over his back. I think Oso and Kaye will just have to accept roles more like onetime automatic call up Piette.  They might not make every roster, and they arent pencilled in as starters anymore, unless they start to show they can contribute like they used to.   

We really need them, so I am desperate for both Ahmed and Choniere to get chances and push on.  Beyond the big two (or the big 1.5, considering Kone's club struggles) Loturi and Paton are the only central midfielder in Europe. Correct?

(Is it crazy to try Laryea in there?) 

I will say, however, we do suffer from a common thing in football when your team is struggling a little - the less a guy plays seemingly the better he gets.