Marco Bustos

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think some people in this thread seem to have the idea in their head that Bustos is some sort of a prospect rising through the ranks. He is almost 26, prime performance age for a footballer, and needs to be looking out for #1. Very similar to Laryea, although not nearly at the same level. He needs to ensure that his next payday is a big one. 

I don't think myself or anyone else suggested he's a rising prospect, did we? He's in his prime and he's seemingly about to take a step up, one that could potentially put him back into the national team picture. Not sure where that's coming from. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't think myself or anyone else suggested he's a rising prospect, did we? He's in his prime and he's seemingly about to take a step up, one that could potentially put him back into the national team picture. Not sure where that's coming from. 

For me he is in the same ballpark as Bekker or Borges, in skill and future impact. 

19 minutes ago, nolando said:

For me he is in the same ballpark as Bekker or Borges, in skill and future impact. 

I think that's fair. I see it the same way. Nobody would call Bekker a prospect. I wouldn't even call Borges a prospect, he's already 23 years old. However, if those guys were to move to a good level and play well, I would want them in consideration for the national team. Same goes for Bustos and any of our players, regardless of age.

That said, for someone older like Bekker, my threshold is higher. And conversely, I set the bar lower for Borges who is younger. All depends on the profile of the player. 

For Bustos, considering his age and position, I think playing well for Nublense would be just enough to warrant real discussion about his national team return, especially if they can do something in Copa Sudamerica.

Not saying throw him in the starting 11 or anything, I just mean he'd be worthy of consideration at the back end of our roster, that's all.

Edited by Obinna

If Bustos wanted to work his way into our squad, and he's got legit MLS options, wouldn't he stay in North America?

A part of this move has to be putting himself in the shop window for the Chilean Nats and secondarily putting some pressure on us.

I'm no expert on the Chilean setup, but looking at Wikipedia for recent friendlies they've called up players from less glamorous sides that aren't the big two. They had the coach "talking" about him a year or so back. I don't think it's out of the question.

Wait, you guys are saying he is still eligible for Chile? I thought once you hit 4 caps or something that's it. Or are those competitive caps? Or need at least one competitive cap? All 6 of Bustos' caps were friendlies, so is that why he is still eligible?

And maybe this is semantics, but if you think a player that isn't currently in the CMNT picture could improve enough that you like the prospect of them getting a CMNT call up, that sounds to me like you are considering them a prospective CMNT player, i.e. a prospect.

Personally I think he likely never plays a competitive game for Canada, but it'd be a great story if he can make it happen! Provided the story doesn't start with "Davies, David, Larin, Osorio, Buchanan, and several others were out of the lineup due to COVID/suspension/injury..."

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Wait, you guys are saying he is still eligible for Chile? I thought once you hit 4 caps or something that's it. Or are those competitive caps? Or need at least one competitive cap? All 6 of Bustos' caps were friendlies, so is that why he is still eligible?

One of his caps needs to be competitive for him to be cap tied. You can play unlimited friendlies and still switch.

NB: this doesn't apply if he was provisionally cap tied (i.e. official youth cap) to another nation, then filed his change of association (so-called 'one time switch'). Then he'd need just 1 cap, friendly or official. The 3-cap limit you're thinking of is if one of the 3 caps was official and before the age of 21.

Clear as mud.

12 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

One of his caps needs to be competitive for him to be cap tied. You can play unlimited friendlies and still switch.

NB: this doesn't apply if he was provisionally cap tied (i.e. official youth cap) to another nation, then filed his change of association (so-called 'one time switch'). Then he'd need just 1 cap, friendly or official. The 3-cap limit you're thinking of is if one of the 3 caps was official and before the age of 21.

Clear as mud.

If he wants to play for Chile he'd need to file a switch since he's played at the U17 WC for us and the U20 CONCACAF Championship.

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Bustos is an interesting player, but he does not have an international career in front of him for Canada, and certainly not for Chile.  He's nowhere near the required level.  Wish him all the best.  

Agreed, he's miles away. Sorry to say. He's further away than Bekker even.  I'd be happy for him to continue to progress and prove me wrong. 

BTW that is a very low level team in Chile, I suppose it is a step up from PFC, but mostly because he'll see some better rivals in Chile top flight, not for the team itself.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

If he wants to play for Chile he'd need to file a switch since he's played at the U17 WC for us and the U20 CONCACAF Championship.

Indeed, true. I just mean that he is not permanently cap tied to Canada based on the games he's already played. This is all independent of whether or not he'd actually be able to get a competitive senior cap for either nation in the future.

• 9 months later...
33 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Nef quietly dropped on the latest NF podcast that Bustos has interest from the top flight of Chile but that could’ve easily been interest from this January 

He didn't move up when he was arguably the leagues MVP (or there abouts) the past two years. I can't see him having red hot interest after a sub par year like this one. However, it's getting now or never for him if he wants to play in a higher league. If there is a lower team offering him something, it might be his best shot. He can always return to the CPL.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

He didn't move up when he was arguably the leagues MVP (or there abouts) the past two years. I can't see him having red hot interest after a sub par year like this one. However, it's getting now or never for him if he wants to play in a higher league. If there is a lower team offering him something, it might be his best shot. He can always return to the CPL.

he didn't move because of the fee pacific was asking for. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is why TFC need to be in the CPL.

…Well that’s not really a clear reason lol, but with all these Canadians Robert is bring in/through ….I love it, I just hope they can perform. Initial signs is they can’t, but here’s hoping to a new season.

56 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Color me surprised. I thought his play took a step back this year.

Great for him.  It's just a trial, sure, but still.  Good luck!

Surprised is a bit of an understatement.  Slippery as ever but not getting faster or more durable with each passing year, that's for sure.  Maybe Bradley likes more of that playmaker role out of the man?  Don't know.      

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

Great for him.  It's just a trial, sure, but still.  Good luck!

Surprised is a bit of an understatement.  Slippery as ever but not getting faster or more durable with each passing year, that's for sure.  Maybe Bradley likes more of that playmaker role out of the man?  Don't know.      

Maybe there's an agent or front office guy that is working this Pacific to TFC pipeline (Macnaughton, Chung, Bustos?). Not unlike the Montreal to Valour loan pipeline (Pantemis, Sirois, Rea, that guy in year 1).

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Maybe there's an agent or front office guy that is working this Pacific to TFC pipeline (Macnaughton, Chung, Bustos?). Not unlike the Montreal to Valour loan pipeline (Pantemis, Sirois, Rea, that guy in year 1).

When Friend was interviewed by Footy Prime he basically said Pacific offered Chung and MacNaughton to TFC.

Wonder if that happened again here