Marco Bustos

Glad to have Bustos back for another season. I think we’ll be competitive next season, but it’s still discouraging that we’ve yet to provide a multi season contract to anyone considering our supposed strategy of developing and selling young players. How can we ever expect to make a profit on players when we won’t even commit to them

• 1 month later...

https://canpl.ca/article/bustos-embracing-opportunity-with-different-canmnt-theyre-playing-to-win-now?ref=https%3A//t.co/GknwL0Aet4%3Famp%3D1

“It’s obviously different than the last time I was with the national team, there’s a lot of detail put into training, meetings,” he explained. “It’s actually a big change… getting a call-up isn’t just given, you have to earn it.”

Bustos added: “You see it in the way the national team plays; they’re playing to win now. I think that’s a big difference too, where before, and watching for many years, when you play big teams it’s playing not to lose, almost — sitting back, soaking pressure.

“Now you see, the last few games against the United States especially, it’s a team that has a lot of attacking qualities. And that doesn’t just happen overnight or with the snap of a finger, it comes down to details put into meetings and training sessions that obviously helps the team.”

I'm perhaps a bit biased, but that far post curler that he's mastered is one of the sexier finishes out there. I'm looking forward to seeing him against stronger competition. He's a fantastic CPL player, but I worry he lacks the physicality to play on the wing for this fast paced Canada team. From the scrimmage highlights it looked like he might have been playing more as a 10. He had a fair bit of the ball at the top of the 18, which is exactly where you want him.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I'm perhaps a bit biased, but that far post curler that he's mastered is one of the sexier finishes out there. I'm looking forward to seeing him against stronger competition. He's a fantastic CPL player, but I worry he lacks the physicality to play on the wing for this fast paced Canada team. From the scrimmage highlights it looked like he might have been playing more as a 10. He had a fair bit of the ball at the top of the 18, which is exactly where you want him.

He is too slow to play the wing; he needs to play the 10 if he is going to play anywhere

15 hours ago, An Observer said:

He is too slow to play the wing; he needs to play the 10 if he is going to play anywhere

He played on the wing for Pacific, but he played mostly as an inverted winger. He's relatively quick, if not flat out fast. That wing was very good for us. Maybe the best right side in the league, but they rarely took defenders on out wide, as both Bustos and Kadin Chung are prone to cutting inside instead. One of the reasons Terran Campbell struggled last season compared to 2019.

Edited by Aird25

Inverted winger because he has no speed to beat anyone out wide??  Even Robben had to go outside now and again or FB stop buying the cut in to the left foot (ie only foot).  Bustos isnt getting any faster, but he is plenty tricky and a good finisher, he needs to get better in the middle, work on the play making and passing as he gets older.  Even in the CPL he wont have the speed to keep the FB from overplaying him on the wing.    

• 5 months later...
40 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The Whitecaps have a #10 on their doorsteps....what are they waiting for?

If he was rated by MLS teams he would have been signed after the 2019 season like Joel Waterman was. Doubt he could play as a #10 at a higher level as he isn't able to pass the ball effectively enough with both feet and is a bit lightweight physically.

There are going to be standouts at CanPL level that have flaws in their game that make it difficult for them to get a bigger contract elsewhere in a close but no cigar sort of way.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If he was rated by MLS teams he would have been signed after the 2019 season like Joel Waterman was

Why? He’s been better the last two seasons than in 2019, and he’s never had a run of form like this. 5 goals and 4 assists in his last 6 matches now 

21 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Why? He’s been better the last two seasons than in 2019, and he’s never had a run of form like this. 5 goals and 4 assists in his last 6 matches now 

Funny how no one wanted Pasher 2 years ago and now he is in MLS and a big part of the Houston offense, getting calls to the Gold cup.  Nobody wanted MA. Kaye either.....and they both kept their carer's going and succeded, but I'm sure it will never happen again....UGGHHHH!!  

Remember where this is coming from eh??  Mr "the CPL is a failure because no CPL player has made it to the CMNT yet".  

55 minutes ago, narduch said:

This site makes me laugh.

We are all witnessing Pasher at Houston in MLS. And people can then boldly state that Bustos doesn't deserve to be in MLS 

Don't watch enough MLS to offer an educated opinion BUT from what I have seen I've come away less than impressed with the quality of the defending.  It looks pretty wild west out there sometimes.

We'll see.  If Bustos keeps rocking Pacific isn't going to hold him.  He'll be off to MLS or parts unknown.  Where ever the dollars/euros pull him.

5 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I remember watching Pedro Morales play in Chile after he was too old and slow to play in MLS. He was very productive playing with 10 other technically sound players. I think Bustos would be the same in a less physical league.

Chile would be a great move for Bustos. He would be a domestic there so I think it would work out.

Bustos just kept busy in the USL after leaving Mexico and waiting for CPL to start

Anyone with 2 eyeballs can see Bustos is a great player. I would say other than Cavallini, Osorio and maybe Piette & Laryea, there isn't a single Canadian playing on a Canadian MLS team better than Bustos 

Edited by SpursFlu

39 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Bustos just kept busy in the USL after leaving Mexico and waiting for CPL to start

Anyone with 2 eyeballs can see Bustos is a great player. I would say other than Cavallini, Osorio and maybe Piette & Laryea, there isn't a single Canadian playing on a Canadian MLS team better than Bustos 

I think like Bekker, or Borges Year 1, some guys just prefer to play against slightly inferior opposition. In a better league he'd have to do way more work defending and in general on the other side of the ball and be less of a talisman. That's harder, and way less fun.

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

20+ goals before his 21st birthday

For Whitecaps 2 when he was a kid yes. Then he went up for the first team for a few years, failed to impress, disappointed in Oklahoma and Mexico..the point being he has seemingly turned a corner now and should get a chance in a better league