Marco Bustos

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

Not to be a downer but this report makes zero sense and it’s naive from someone like Manuel who works for Transfermarkt.  

“interest from Eredivise…. And then from Sweden”.  Those two leagues are not similar in quality.  No teams in leagues between are interested?  

To sign in Holland as a foreigner, a team has to pay you 400,000 euros + which only 4 clubs can do (Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord and AZ).  No other team in the league will break the bank and sign Bustos to the top of their wage bill when they can’t make a return on him like they could a 20 year old.  

Not doubting Bustos quality to get a good team in Sweden and I hope he does.  But these reports you can tell are just agent driven

1. Is that a real rule? Cause there's no way Den Haag spent 400k on Estevez. Transfermarkt says they didn't even spend 100.

2. Plenty of Eredivisie teams have spent more than that this year

To be clear, I don't really buy it either - but let's not pretend every Dutch team is Ajax levels of youth development. 

Just now, PiedPilko said:

1. Is that a real rule? Cause there's no way Den Haag spent 400k on Estevez. Transfermarkt says they didn't even spend 100.

2. Plenty of Eredivisie teams have spent more than that this year

To be clear, I don't really buy it either - but let's not pretend every Dutch team is Ajax levels of youth development. 

I meant 400,000 euros in salary, not transfer fee.  That is the minimum a non-eu player can earn in Holland’s top flight.   Other countries have similar requirements.  Belgium’s minimum is something like 70,000/80,000 in salary for a non-eu.  

Estevez had a Spanish passport so he wasn’t subject to these requirements.  

Bustos is perfect for CPL. He doesn't have the quality conditioning to maintain his pace over 90 so he limits his range. Which is fine. He plays in a 25-30 metre radius quite well. If you can exploit his skills on a balanced squad he's great. I get a feeling he could work on his defects but hasn't.

Frankly I'm not sure he'd handle the demands of top flight Sweden even. Let him prove us wrong.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bustos is perfect for CPL. He doesn't have the quality conditioning to maintain his pace over 90 so he limits his range. Which is fine. He plays in a 25-30 metre radius quite well. If you can exploit his skills on a balanced squad he's great. I get a feeling he could work on his defects but hasn't.

Frankly I'm not sure he'd handle the demands of top flight Sweden even. Let him prove us wrong.

This is also a perfect description of Mo Babouli, maybe adding that neither of them have good top end pace to begin with. After watching Mo for a season, and Bustos occasionally, I'm certain that's why they don't stick at higher levels.

9 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Not to be a downer but this report makes zero sense and it’s naive from someone like Manuel who works for Transfermarkt.  

“interest from Eredivise…. And then from Sweden”.  Those two leagues are not similar in quality.  No teams in leagues between are interested?  

To sign in Holland as a foreigner, a team has to pay you 400,000 euros + which only 4 clubs can do (Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord and AZ).  No other team in the league will break the bank and sign Bustos to the top of their wage bill when they can’t make a return on him like they could a 20 year old.  

Not doubting Bustos quality to get a good team in Sweden and I hope he does.  But these reports you can tell are just agent driven

Veth is pretty much the only one out there that ever 'breaks news' on Pacific (MacNaughton, Didic, Irving, Bustos trial etc.). He lives in Victoria and he's at games all the time. He clearly has contacts at the club. The only one I might trust more with Pacific news is Cleve Dheenshaw with the Times, but he's clearly just reporting what the club tells him too.

I saw speculation on Twitter that it could be with IFK Varnamo

8 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Isn't he solely left-footed? I mean terribly left-footed. I remember some game where he had basically an open net and he had to switch it up to his other foot and missed the chance. everyone was screaming at him to shoot, and he couldn't.  Having said that, he is easily better than CPL level. 

Easily in the sense of slightly easily?

I personally don't think he is MLS level. @Aird25 interesting about IFK Varnamo, did not know that club. I see they just promoted to top flight for 2022 and stayed up. So that could sound right, a modest top flight club in Sweden.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I hope he can land somewhere outside of CPL for a shot and a better pay day but there is a significant glass ceiling here.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Easily in the sense of slightly easily?

I personally don't think he is MLS level. @Aird25 interesting about IFK Varnamo, did not know that club. I see they just promoted to top flight for 2022 and stayed up. So that could sound right, a modest top flight club in Sweden.

I would put that more like "he's not suited for MLS level".

Could he play in the league? I am sure, but how much is the question. Probably he wouldn't play much. He is very skillful with good technique, but the problem I see is that he doesn't have the pace to be effective out wide (in MLS), and inside he'd be competing with players who are elite - then any bench players will probably be younger than him. So, while I think he could hang in the league, I just don't see him thriving there with a bright future. 

As for the Euro links - I am not too familiar with Sweden or Holland, but I imagine in Sweden he'll find it easier to be a starter in league (depending on the club), simply because the level is lower (but obviously higher than the CPL). In Holland, I imagine he can be a good depth player for a respectable team, but unlike MLS I think the Eredivisie may be more forgiving to a player like him with good technique but a lack of physicality. Either way it would be a step up and the way to go vs MLS.

Edit - to add, if this goes anywhere (which is a question in itself), I expect him to join a mid or lower table team in Sweden where he'll start from the bench with a good shot of forcing his way into being a starter - but if Holland I expect him to definitely be a sub and probably with a lower table team.

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

What surprises me is that he may end up at a higher level than Alejandro Diaz, who was a much more dangerous player when he left Pacific

I felt like he joined a level lower so that he can score a ton of goals and climb up the ladder. Already has 5 in 8 for Sogndal. I expect he'll be in top-flight Norway sooner than later. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

...In Holland, I imagine he can be a good depth player for a respectable team, but unlike MLS I think the Eredivisie may be more forgiving to a player like him with good technique but a lack of physicality. Either way it would be a step up and the way to go vs MLS...

It's important to bear in mind that there are no budgetary parity rules in European leagues. Signing for Excelsior Rotterdam would not be directly comparable to signing for Feyenoord in terms of pecking order relative to MLS even though they both play in the same division.

13 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's important to bear in mind that there are no budgetary parity rules in European leagues. Signing for Excelsior Rotterdam would not be directly comparable to signing for Feyenoord in terms of pecking order relative to MLS even though they both play in the same division.

I understand and was not suggesting there is budgetary parity in Holland. I get that teams can basically pay whatever they can afford to pay.

My point was that MLS (in general) is less forgiving on players who struggle with physicality than Holland (in general). I acknowledge that may be ignorant as I don't watch a ton of Eredivisie - but I would be happy for any Dutch experts here to speak on it.

And of course, such generalities exclude the likes of Ajax and PSV (and arguably Feyenoord) - as these teams are superior in every sense (likely that includes physicality).

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I understand and was not suggesting there is budgetary parity in Holland. I get that teams can basically pay whatever they can afford to pay.

My point was that MLS (in general) is less forgiving on players who struggle with physicality than Holland (in general). I acknowledge that may be ignorant as I don't watch a ton of Eredivisie - but I would be happy for any Dutch experts here to speak on it.

And of course, such generalities exclude the likes of Ajax and PSV (and arguably Feyenoord) - as these teams are superior in every sense (likely that includes physicality).

I would argue that MLS is more physical than the eredivisie. The dutch league often has young players who are not physically developed. The philosophy in holland is to play possession - "total football". Physicality is not as much of a priority. In fact, many players will focus on agility and balance in their fitness regimes instead of weight lifting/muscle growth. Guys like piette or Kaye would not be in high demand in holland as they bring alot of value to the team due to their physicality but are limited technically. 

If you watch ajax vs benfica in last years champions league, the physicality difference was extremely noticable. Ajax were by far the better soccer team, but benfica was able to turn the game around due to there physical advantage. It is quite common for dutch teams to struggle with the physical nature of other champion league squads. 

However, Holland would be much less forgiving on the speed of play. This may appear to be a physical trait as players seem to be faster, but its actually all about soccer IQ. 

50 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I would argue that MLS is more physical than the eredivisie. The dutch league often has young players who are not physically developed. The philosophy in holland is to play possession - "total football". Physicality is not as much of a priority. In fact, many players will focus on agility and balance in their fitness regimes instead of weight lifting/muscle growth. Guys like piette or Kaye would not be in high demand in holland as they bring alot of value to the team due to their physicality but are limited technically. 

If you watch ajax vs benfica in last years champions league, the physicality difference was extremely noticable. Ajax were by far the better soccer team, but benfica was able to turn the game around due to there physical advantage. It is quite common for dutch teams to struggle with the physical nature of other champion league squads. 

However, Holland would be much less forgiving on the speed of play. This may appear to be a physical trait as players seem to be faster, but its actually all about soccer IQ. 

I think you read that wrong - or I phrased it poorly - because I agree that MLS is more physical. That was my point. 

Something I forgot about (which applies to Cornelius as well), but the Swedish season runs from April to December.

This means that Cornelius will be coming into Nations League qualifiers cold (if he's selected). And Bustos doesn't have time to play his way into contention.

The flipside is that both will be in season for the NL finals (if we get there) and the Gold Cup. I think Bustos and especially Cornelius have an excellent chance of getting picked for the GC since they'll be in season like the MLS players.