Marco Bustos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I've long argued that OneSoccer should be acquiring the rights to the SPL, but with Bustos and Cornelius now there maybe they should be looking at the Allsvenskan...

Beyond friends and family how many people are going to tune in just to watch them? There's no recent Swedish immigrant community worth mentioning so doubt there's much of a market for that.

47 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Beyond friends and family how many people are going to tune in just to watch them? There's no recent Swedish immigrant community worth mentioning so doubt there's much of a market for that.

That would be why the rights are so cheap.  And the market here is "Canadian Soccer fans".  That's what you promote on OneSoccer - an opportunity to watch CMNT/former CPL players abroad.  I wouldn't try to do this with *major* rights (ie, I wouldn't be trying to outbid Sportsnet for the Bundesliga to show Davies), but it might make sense for smaller leagues.

17 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

^ Think some of the smaller leagues can be had on the cheap and offer decent production value.  Grab as many as you can just to bomb your customers with content.  Not sure that could be said of SPL.  Think that might be a bit rich for OneSoccer.

SPL gets complicated with its rights (I *think* internationally they're still owned by a 3rd party the league sold them to years ago at a cut rate only to watch them sold on for more). But of all the leagues outside of the "big 5", it's the one I think you're most likely to get non-Canada soccer fans to subscribe to OneSoccer for. It's the league you get to try to bring in new fans. The Swedish league (or similar) is the one you try to get cheap to keep your existing fans happy.

The SPFL teams all have their own paid subscription service for their international fans that costs around $200-$300 a year; I’m one of them that pays it for my team.  If you are Celtic or Rangers in particular and specifically for the Canadian market, there are more than enough people paying for it that it becomes commercially unviable for a broadcaster.