Marco Bustos

Bustos probably is good enough for mls but there’s 100s out there with the same skill set or there’s variables who gets a contract. I’d imagine if he was good enough for Chile he have some sort of intrest abroad in a reasonable level league. 

Year 1 I though he was a technically gifted players with valour probably in the top three in the league. But I found he overdribled and didn’t involve his teammates well. He’d look flashy but no product or decision making. I just feel as a 26-27 year old [ prime years] if your the top player in a league that’s probably to the equivalent of their 4 or 5 in England. And there’s some speculation about playing for a top sa team and you can’t get in the Canadian team. There’s something up there

6 hours ago, top cheese said:

Bustos probably is good enough for mls but there’s 100s out there with the same skill set or there’s variables who gets a contract. I’d imagine if he was good enough for Chile he have some sort of intrest abroad in a reasonable level league. 

Year 1 I though he was a technically gifted players with valour probably in the top three in the league. But I found he overdribled and didn’t involve his teammates well. He’d look flashy but no product or decision making. I just feel as a 26-27 year old [ prime years] if your the top player in a league that’s probably to the equivalent of their 4 or 5 in England. And there’s some speculation about playing for a top sa team and you can’t get in the Canadian team. There’s something up there

Bustos is 24 years old.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Chile isn’t going to be calling up a guy from CPL into their squad. Of course he needs to move up to get the call.

But what if he is just good and nobody outside of i guess the Chilean manager has noticed 

For instance, Tajon Buchanan plays in the MLS and looks pretty good. MLS is better than CPL but would anyone in their right mind think Tajon is better than Bustos?

Edited by SpursFlu

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

But what if he is just good and nobody outside of i guess the Chilean manager has noticed 

For instance, Tajon Buchanan plays in the MLS and looks pretty good. MLS is better than CPL but would anyone in their right mind think Tajon is better than Bustos?

Tajon looks pretty good.... I haven’t seen Bustos much to be honest.

56 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Ummm.. yes, definitely. No doubt...

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Ummm.. yes, definitely. No doubt...

Probably the best player in the league vs a player that’s only recently cemented a starting position and you don’t have any doubts about who’s better?

CPL is in so tough to win the respect of Canadian soccer fans. In a way I hope Bustos jumps to Chile even if it means losing him for club and country. He’d end up doing more for Canadian soccer than he ever could by continuing to dominate domestically.

Let's put it this way, given his age and his talent and the season he just had for Pacific, he could probably, in my opinion, transfer to the Chliean top league and play for one of the big clubs. I don't think he would be a star, obviously, but he could earn a place on the squad and from there who knows? I could also see earning a starting role on a mid level team like Huachipato relatively quickly. If Juan Cordova can start for a team like that I don't doubt Bustos could, especially after the season he just had. And I mean, really at that point you have to ask, would he really be that far away from earning a Chile call? Remember, we are not talking about Bustos becoming a regular in the Chile national team. The question is, would Chile be interested enough to give him a look? I still don't believe it is as far fetched as some people may think. South American teams like Chile are obviously more accomplished than Canada, but they give a lot of caps to fringe players who wouldn't start in our best 11.

Edited by Obinna

42 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Who's season was better: Bustos this year or Borges in 2019?

And Borges transferred to the Belgian 2nd tier. I doubt Bustos could get many minutes in the Chilean Primera for Colo Colo or Catolica, etc.

I think Bustos was better. Its always fun playing on the best team

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t seen enough CPL to really judge Bustos properly. In the Buchanan thread there is lots of discussion about him being one of our top winger/fullback options so yeah I think a lot of people would rate him above Bustos. I haven’t seen anyone really say that Bustos should be called up for a full strength national team.

6 hours ago, archer21 said:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t seen enough CPL to really judge Bustos properly. In the Buchanan thread there is lots of discussion about him being one of our top winger/fullback options so yeah I think a lot of people would rate him above Bustos. I haven’t seen anyone really say that Bustos should be called up for a full strength national team.

In my opinion the reason people are so excited about Buchanan is because he is young and uncapped. We need to get this player in our system asap. It's natural to have less urgency about Bustos. He's already been capped 6 times and he's 24, the only thing new was that he had a stellar season, but since it was in the CPL they'll naturally be some hesitation when the question comes whether he should automatically be back in the national team picture.

10 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Who's season was better: Bustos this year or Borges in 2019?

And Borges transferred to the Belgian 2nd tier. I doubt Bustos could get many minutes in the Chilean Primera for Colo Colo or Catolica, etc.

The other side of the coin here is that his club promoted to the Belgian first tier and were sitting comfortably in the table last I checked, so they are probably on par with a club like Colo Colo, if not stronger. The other thing too is that Bustos has the experience of going into new clubs and fighting for a place, and he has played in Latin America before, and obviously speaks the language.

All this wouldn't guarantee he would get many minutes at a team like Colo Colo, but I find it hard to imagine he wouldn't get a decent shot. In my he has the talent to be successful in the Chilean league.

Stats say Bustos was very good in CPL this year. Question is how much upside is there since he hasn't met it before?

Buchanan has shown some flashes previously and now a couple of good showings. Hasn't shown yet he can do this consistently. But upside is deemed to be higher since he is at a new position and hasn't had a major step back yet.

4 hours ago, red card said:

Stats say Bustos was very good in CPL this year. Question is how much upside is there since he hasn't met it before?

Buchanan has shown some flashes previously and now a couple of good showings. Hasn't shown yet he can do this consistently. But upside is deemed to be higher since he is at a new position and hasn't had a major step back yet.

Can someone remind me. On those graphs with the different stats, is the outer rim at the top level for each stat for the given position? So Bustos was top of the league for attacking mid/winger in Pressure regains, passing %, turnovers, and fouls won?

• 2 weeks later...