Marco Bustos

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There was talk of MLS offers previously in his case, which may also have revolved around trials. He is out of contract at the end of the month according to transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/marco-bustos/profil/spieler/294685

so talking this angle up a bit may be part of CanPL related negotiations as well.

Watching that CPL final on Sunday there are a few Forge players that I would pick ahead of Bustos to play in the MLS and along with their coach .

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Great for him.  It's just a trial, sure, but still.  Good luck!

Surprised is a bit of an understatement.  Slippery as ever but not getting faster or more durable with each passing year, that's for sure.  Maybe Bradley likes more of that playmaker role out of the man?  Don't know.      

Toronto don't have a no. 10. Although he's being playing as an inverted winger, Bustos can potentially be a relatively cheap option, plus he can offer cover out wide if needed. For sure he isn't getting faster or more durable, but I think in his current state he could come off the bench for most MLS teams and do a decent job. He has great technique and has a nose for goal. I hope he does well in his trial. 

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Toronto don't have a no. 10. Although he's being playing as an inverted winger, Bustos can potentially be a relatively cheep option, plus he can offer cover out wide if needed. For sure he isn't getting faster or more durable, but I think in his current state he could come off the bench for most MLS teams and do a decent job. He has great technique and has a nose for goal. I hope he does well in his trial. 

You're describing pre-injury Bustos. He wasn't the same player this season. However, if he can regain confidence and he's surrounded by more creative players, I could certainly see him regaining form. I think he could do a job in MLS in the right environment, but coaches need to know what to expect out of him.

10 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

You're describing pre-injury Bustos. He wasn't the same player this season. However, if he can regain confidence and he's surrounded by more creative players, I could certainly see him regaining form. I think he could do a job in MLS in the right environment, but coaches need to know what to expect out of him.

Admittedly I haven't watched many Pacific games this year, just the highlights, which of course you can only take so much away from. Agreed that he could do a good job in MLS under the right coaches and system. 

One interesting thing about Toronto is a lack of speed. Bustos isn't going to blow past players out wide, so I hope that if he signs with TFC they play him in the middle, at least more often than not. He'd directly be in contention with Jayden Nelson in both positions, come to think of it. 

26 minutes ago, jonovision said:

On a somewhat-related note, I saw one report saying that Bustos was joining TFC for during their final week of training.

Why are they still training? Is this like those Japanese soldiers on that Pacific island after WW2 that thought the war was still going?

Mostly so the offseason isn't really, really long.

A side-benefit specific to this year is that Kaye, Osorio and Henry are still training regularly (yes Henry is training with TFC despite having been released by the team).

36 minutes ago, jonovision said:

On a somewhat-related note, I saw one report saying that Bustos was joining TFC for during their final week of training.

Why are they still training? Is this like those Japanese soldiers on that Pacific island after WW2 that thought the war was still going?

The CBA has stuff in there about off-season training as most players don't want long vacations since that's more time to get out of shape.

39 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I was curious about this too. I think it has to do with the fact that MLS contracts have to last until the end of the playoffs since players who go all the way to the finals have to get paid for doing so. Since TFC is out and their players are still under contract, they’re probably holding some trainings for players who want to stay fit, others who may want to go to Europe, etc. Guys like Marshall Rutty and Jayden Nelson are probably going to try to go on trial with European teams in January, so it would help if they’re at top form- not that a training session in November would necessarily mean that.

18 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The CBA has stuff in there about off-season training as most players don't want long vacations since that's more time to get out of shape.

More like the teams wanted it in there so as to not incentivize players to miss playoffs. Players could always keep themselves fit so that’s not the reason. 

41 minutes ago, RS said:

A side-benefit specific to this year is that Kaye, Osorio and Henry are still training regularly (yes Henry is training with TFC despite having been released by the team).

I wonder if this is a favour ahead of the WC or an indication something can be worked out for next season?

41 minutes ago, RS said:

Do all the players keep training or do the bigger names beg off with some excuse? Like are the Italians still training too?

22 hours ago, jonovision said:

Color me surprised. I thought his play took a step back this year.

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There was talk of MLS offers previously in his case, which may also have revolved around trials. He is out of contract at the end of the month according to transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/marco-bustos/profil/spieler/294685

so talking this angle up a bit may be part of CanPL related negotiations as well.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I.e. that his play last year was more deserving of a move up to MLS. He left the Whitecaps in 2018. I'm wondering if they still owned his rights or something prior to now?

Imo Bustos had limited range when I saw him play for Whitecaps, he looked better at Pacific, and will go back to looking like a player who has trouble making a mark beyond a rather small radius at TFC. If you find him a role, fine. But the Bustos folks like starts near midfield and progresses dangerously into attacking positions. A couple times a game even. If he won't be able to repeat that in MLS, he won't be the player you thought you bought.

Take most of the better players in CPL and you'd say the same. 

With Bustos fresh off his CPL season, and continuing to train with TFC, and potentially signing with them given it's a trial, would it be shocking to see him named to the roster for the Bahrain match?

We know that roster won't have European based players, many of which are attackers, so someone is going to come in and fill the void, right? Bustos has 6 caps, none under Herdman, but I believe he got called for a camp by him previously (winter camp 2021?). He should be in game shape given what he is up to. 

Trialing isn't signing.  Sometimes guys get trials to make other connections elsewhere in a soccer version of LinkedIn:  get a reference from a coach with a rep and then use it to make a landing somewhere else if the player impresses.  That might end up being the case here.