Marco Bustos

Just now, BearcatSA said:

He could become a journeyman, like Edwards has become or Raposo will be.  Could forge a number of years in USL or lower level Europe, too.  

In a salary cap setting there is a need to balance cost vs return.  At the right price, you can be a contributor.

Are we back to taking about Bustos? I've lost track. There is a Waterman thread too, for the record.

35 minutes ago, nolando said:

Are we back to taking about Bustos? I've lost track. There is a Waterman thread too, for the record.

For Bustos, Waterman, and others mentioned, it's about finding their niche/level/role and their league ceilings.  I think I'm staying on topic and not hijacking it with Covid debate or extensive perspectives about Canada Russia 72 (kudos to Joe Mccarthy for taking my suggestion and moving his conversation to the existing thread about it in General Discussion while afterwards others continued to discuss it at length in the Gold Cup thread).

On 8/1/2021 at 7:28 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

All true, but I think even a modest increase to the total comp would be a huge step in the right direction. $30-40k average is never going to attracted first division players. Nor will it retain them. $60-80k would put you on par with smaller first division clubs in Sweden/Norway, which would make a huge difference for recruitment, retention, and development. Move 1 or 2 players a year to a higher level a you can make that extra salary back. 

This might annoy the on topic police but I'd sooner see them targeting money at the bottom end of their rosters and youth development rather than the topmost contracts like Bustos so the league is legitimately fully pro in depth terms rather than a hybrid of fully and semi-pro players. That's how you sign the next Alphonso Davies to a multiyear contract and hit the jackpot financially rather than through a player in his mid-20s who has been close but no cigar previously who larger clubs and scouts already know all about but do not appear to be pursuing for whatever reason.

• 2 months later...

Bustos was hands down MVP of the league before his injury. No contest.

The One Soccer pundits made sure he was swept under the carpet within a few weeks of not appearing for Pacific, since they basically have no connection with Pacific (hate is too nice for them). I mean, within a few weeks of him being out they were doing lists that ignored him entirely. 

Point is: best team in the league this year up to mid-late September, and a team that most likely would have already won the league if Bustos had not been injured for so long. 

Just saw the highlights but seemed interesting to see Campbell out wide left, he seemed to handle that role quite well. 

After a couple of strong seasons I hope Bustos can make the jump back up to a higher level this off-season. At 25 he's entering his prime and still young enough to make a decent career out of it, but the time is now. Unfortunately I don't think he's a good fit for MLS. Maybe lower div Germany would be a good next step.

14 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

After a couple of strong seasons I hope Bustos can make the jump back up to a higher level this off-season. At 25 he's entering his prime and still young enough to make a decent career out of it, but the time is now. Unfortunately I don't think he's a good fit for MLS. Maybe lower div Germany would be a good next step.

Maybe he could join his buddy Kianz Froese in 3. Liga. I thought they were rated somewhat similarly while both with the Whitecaps. To be honest though I'd prefer if Kianz signed with Pacific instead. I also think Marco has his eyes set on MLS judging by his interview responses. I agree that it might not be the best league for his style of play though

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Linked with Ñublense in the Chilean Primera Division.

Stronger than the CPL for sure, but the Chilean league has gone down in quality over the last few years for a number of reasons.

He’s probably willing to make any move to increase his World Cup chances, as slim as they may be. If he can be a standout in Chile and play a #10 role he could carve out a call up at least.

28 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He’s probably willing to make any move to increase his World Cup chances, as slim as they may be. If he can be a standout in Chile and play a #10 role he could carve out a call up at least.

I would think it is primarily financial. CPL is an amazing thing but it needs to evolve before 90%+ of the players can earn a living there.  If you can go somewhere where the salaries are higher and the cost of living lower (full disclosure - both of those are assumptions) then it it makes sense.  

Plus I doubt he sees any pathway to the WC.  

18 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

While I bet the money is better, if he is making around 50-60k$ over here (IIRC) the move to Chile is not going to be life-changing. This is going to be a soccer move - either to force his way into our side, or theirs.

What is the minimum for MLS these days? $60 000 USD? That would be $76 000 CAD.

13 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would think it is primarily financial.

I don't think it's too crazy to think he could very easily make at least $80 000 CAD down in Chile and get more playing time than he would in MLS. The cost of living in Chillán should be lower I'd think. It also has good bus and train connections to Santiago; it's not one of those remote towns. Wishing him all the best.

EDIT: The tweet mentions that he also has offers from MLS so he'd likely sign for over $120 000 CAD.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

This would be a great move for Bustos. It's a big enough move to put him on the national team radar if he plays well (for both teams), but it's not too great a leap. 

Nublense finished 7th last year and qualified for Copa Sudamerica first round. They play in a nice 12,000 seat stadium, the sort of venue I dream of seeing in CPL. 

image.png.fd67f0c78f6ab487400ffc322230c9f1.png

Not many internationals at the club, as I expected. They seem to have just bought a veteran left back, Fernando Cordero, who has a single Chilean cap. 32 year old midfielder, Rafael Caroca, has 3 Chilean caps to his name, while fellow midfielder Esteban Carvajal was called to a WCQ back in the 2018 cycle, but did not play. They do have a bunch of guys with youth Chile caps. 

Bustos with 6 Canada caps would actually be the most experienced senior international, should he join. 

I hope the move happens. Like I said, it should really put him back into CMNT consideration, but only if he does well and puts in the kind of performances we have seen in the Canadian Premier League. He's still only 25 years old. 

Think he'd need to be moving to one of the big Santiago clubs (i.e. Colo Colo, Universidad Catolica and Union Espanola) for the Chilean national team to be more than a hypothetical sort of long shot that would be nice if it happens but not the main reason for going.

Also worth bearing in mind that MLS offers could simply be training camp invites similar to what Amer Didic had with the Whitecaps at this point rather than a solid contract offer.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think he'd need to be moving to one of the big Santiago clubs (i.e. Colo Colo, Universidad Catolica and Union Espanola) for the Chilean national team to be more than a hypothetical sort of long shot that would be nice if it happens but not the main reason for going.

Also worth bearing in mind that MLS offers could simply be training camp invites similar to what Amer Didic had with the Whitecaps at this point rather than a solid contract offer.

I agree. And he can set himself up for that with some good play.

He's technically our player, so I would like to see us recall him before that hypothetical move to a big Santiago club happens. I know I am getting ahead of myself a bit here, because he's not even in Chile yet, but just saying.

I can see Bustos quickly progressing to the big teams in Chile once he's in that environment. It would be wise for us to stay alert so they don't steal him from us. 

I think some people in this thread have the idea in their head that Bustos is a prospect rising through the ranks. He is almost 26, prime performance age for a footballer, and needs to be looking out for #1. Very similar to Laryea, although not nearly at the same level. He needs to ensure that his next payday is a big one. 

Edited by jonovision