Marco Bustos

That tweet translates:

"Reveals: Here is IFK Värnamo's Christmas gift to the supporters: National team meritorious Marco Bustos is ready for the club and joins from Pacific FC. If nothing unforeseen happens, Bustos will be presented in January"

One of the comments says:

"National team meritorious, made 6 appearances for Canada in 2015-2017 playing in Vancouver Whitecaps 2 (b team). It must have been something similar to the January tour, otherwise I don't see how he could be selected"

Which I am assuming means Sweden also does a Camp Poutine in January only theirs must be called "lägersill", Camp Herring.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Reveals: IFK Värnamo sign Marco Bustos
Anel Avdic IFK Värnamo December 23 2022

FK Värnamo has hinted at a silly bomb this week and now Expressen can reveal the supporters' Christmas present.

According to information to Expressen, the national team-merited Canadian Marco Bustos, 26, from Pacific FC is ready for the club.

If nothing unforeseen happens, the player will be presented in January.

Already this week, the Northern Tribune drew attention to the fact that the national team meritorious Canadian Marco Bustos, 26, from Pacific FC is about to leave the club.

Bustos has six senior caps for Canada and has also represented clubs such as Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Oklahoma City Energy FC and Valour FC.

He has also belonged to Mexican Zacatepec. The 26-year-old is described as an attacking midfielder and during his time at Pacific FC he has scored 15 goals and 17 assists in 63 games in the Canadian top flight.

At home in Canada, the player is described as a profile and he can basically shoulder all offensive positions.

Journalist Manuel Veth also reported that Bustos was in "long-standing talks" with two Allsvenskan clubs and a club in the top league in the Netherlands.

Ready for Värnamo

At the same time, IFK Värnamos' sporting director has hinted at new acquisitions this week. For Värnamo Nyheter , the sports manager told that players will be recruited for the offensive ranks.

- It will be big news on another continent. You can write that. You can define it as a bomb yes, Ahmetovic explained to the newspaper .

Today Expressen can reveal that Marco Bustos is ready for IFK Värnamo. If nothing unforeseen happens, the player will be presented sometime in January, Expressen learns.

Bustos will be Värnamo's third new acquisition this winter. Previously, Emin Grozdanic and Viktor Bergh were signed in. In addition, Anes Mravac has strengthened the leadership staff as assistant coach to Kim Hellberg.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That tweet translates:

"Reveals: Here is IFK Värnamo's Christmas gift to the supporters: National team meritorious Marco Bustos is ready for the club and joins from Pacific FC. If nothing unforeseen happens, Bustos will be presented in January"

One of the comments says:

"National team meritorious, made 6 appearances for Canada in 2015-2017 playing in Vancouver Whitecaps 2 (b team). It must have been something similar to the January tour, otherwise I don't see how he could be selected"

Which I am assuming means Sweden also does a Camp Poutine in January only there's must be called "lägersill", Camp Herring.

Cool to hear what they are saying about him. Thanks for that.

The reality was that Canada was simply trash from 2015-17, which is why calling players like Bustos playing with the 2nd team was not that outlandish. For context, he was widely considered too good for the 2nd team (the stats back that up) and frustrating to some was the fact he wasn't given more of a run in the first team. So basically, a young player who should be on the first team playing down in the reserves.

I know for sure 1 of his 6 caps came against Scotland. That was not a camp poutine game. He played alongside Piette, Arfield, Hoilett and others. To put it in perspective, Fraser Aird was also earning caps during this time, including in that match where he scored and was MOTM for Canada. I think he was attached to Rangers at the time, but out on loan in the lower Scottish leagues somewhere.

1 minute ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Oh geez, he's going to get flashbacks to Thunderbird stadium there. Just needs some gridiron lines. So much for Vs romance with small European grounds. I guess the Swedes are also too busy building rinks.

Hopefully keeps him hungry to make it to a bigger club in Europe, or even in Sweden. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Kenny Stamatopolous played for AIK, Kusch for Mjallby, Ali Gerba was at Goteborg, Adekugbe too, Hutch played for teams no longer in top flight, as did a few others.

I thought we had someone at Norrkoping but I may be remembering a different team with a similar name.

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

Quick Google search and apparently Wyn Belotte played 1 match for them!

I still feel like a Canadian of more significance has played there but I can't remember who

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Allsvenskan_players#Canada

I just took a quick look before I posted, but just mentioned those on teams now listed as Allsvenskan. Many played for Östers, like Hutchinson, but they are now in 2nd tier.

I was pleased to see Tomas Chencinski, who I think is still in Toronto, and Stephen Ademolu, who may be back in Windsor.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Like this move. A step up, but not a dramatic one... essentially somewhere between CPL and MLS in terms of level. But at the same time, it's a European first div, with a couple of legit clubs, so a good place to get noticed.

I'm glad he made this move now. I wouldn't doubt he's thinking about 2026, and that if he can wants any shot of being in that team he needs to be playing at a legit first division level. Sweden isn't it but it can be a stepping stone to leagues that are. I think he can succeed and I respect that he's backing himself to step up, roll the dice and see how far it will take him.

Does anyone know if there is a transfer fee involved or if Marco was out of contract? Sorry if it’s been mentioned—read the last couple of pages and didn’t see it. Hope he succeeds but all the discussion of his limitations are spot on. Quick but not fast. Always favours flicks and tricks over quick give and go’s. Right foot is only for standing. I’ve always liked him but always found him low-key frustrating too.