Marco Bustos

Not signed to a senior contract by Vancouver, but made his pro debut against TFC in the ACC today.

A central attacking midfielder who was named 'Caps 2013 Whitecaps FC Most Promising Player, Marco Bustos joined Whitecaps FC Residency in Sept. 2011 after last playing for FC Northwest in his hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

UNITED STATES SOCCER DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY
2012-13: The Winnipeg native started 27 of 33 regular season games for Whitecaps FC U-18 Residency, registering 14 goals. 2011-12: Started 14 of 27 regular season games for Whitecaps FC U-16 Residency, scoring four goals on the year.

INTERNATIONAL
U-17: The attacking midfielder made four appearances at the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 championships, scoring a goal in the fourth minute of Canada's semifinal versus hosts Panama. In October 2013, Bustos was named to the Canadian roster for the FIFA U-17 World Cup roster in the United Arab Emirates.

ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE
2010-11: In Nov. 2010, Bustos had a 10-day trial with at the famed academy of English Premier League giants Liverpool FC.

YOUTH/AMATEUR
Bustos has enjoyed a distinguished youth career in his hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The midfielder started playing organized soccer at the U-4/U-5 level at the Garden City Community Centre (2000 to 2001) before playing U-6 to U-10 soccer with the Maples Community Centre (2002 to 2005). Bustos played U-12 soccer for Northern Lights Soccer Club in 2006 before joining Winnipeg's FC Northwest, where he played from U-13 to U-16 levels (2007 to 2011). As a member of the FC Northwest Lions U-16 side, Bustos helped his team to a Manitoba provincial title and a silver medal at the 2010 Canadian U-16 Club Championship in Vaughan, Ontario. From 2009 to 2011, Bustos represented Manitoba in two Canadian U-14 All-Star Championship tournaments and a Canadian U-16 All-Star Championship. In 2009, the midfielder became the second-youngest player to join the Canadian Soccer Association's National Training Centre (Prairies region) program.

PERSONAL
Hailing from Winnipeg, Manitoba, the midfielder's parents are Alex and Rosa Bustos. He has a sister named Melissa and a brother named Michael. As a student in Winnipeg, Bustos attended Constable Edward Finney School (2001 to 2006) and Ecole Leila North Community School (2007 to 2009) before spending a short time at Garden City Collegiate in 2010. He currently attends Burnaby Central Secondary in the twelfth grade. The midfielder has dual Canadian and Italian citizenship.  

• 4 months later...

He must be a top five player in the USSDA

It's hard to make such sweeping conclusions since there are dozens and dozens of teams that will never ever play each other, and even whole divisions will only face off in a game or two a season. But Bustos is a gem. This is good news. As for the Chilean thing, well, I've already said what I thought about that, but remember he's just a kid. We were all immature when we were eighteen.

It's hard to make such sweeping conclusions since there are dozens and dozens of teams that will never ever play each other, and even whole divisions will only face off in a game or two a season. But Bustos is a gem. This is good news. As for the Chilean thing, well, I've already said what I thought about that, but remember he's just a kid. *We were all immature when we were eighteen.*

But look at us now!

Normally I would be quite happy to read about this signing, something about him going to the Chilean camp and saying he will "probably" play for Canada has tempered my enthusiasm!

Me too. For the club side of my brain I'm happy but was much more excited about the signing of Kianz.

• 1 month later...

Thought it best to move the Bustos discussion to his thread. If he was indeed pimping himself to Chile on forums, can somebody post the links? I just find that so much speculation is becoming Gospel around here.

All we know is that he was called up to a Chile camp and was excited. I can't blame the kid for that. It is an honour. When Canada has called, he has been there every time. Who would he choose between the two, we don't know.

If the day comes when he chooses Chile over Canada, then he will deserve more criticism than any other defector we have had. But right now, he is playing for us and others aren't.

Congratulations to Bustos and the rest of the U20s on the draw with England. I would love to see this age group continue to grow and represent Canada at another youth World Cup and beyond.

Thought it best to move the Bustos discussion to his thread. If he was indeed pimping himself to Chile on forums, can somebody post the links? I just find that so much speculation is becoming Gospel around here.

I take it back. I think it was this specific link: http://www.chileazul.cl/foro/index.php?/topic/244132-marco-antonio-bustos-un-chileno-en-el-mundial-sub-17-httpwwwfutchilecl/

from http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.php?/topic/27143-marco-bustos-to-chile-u-20/page-16#entry489141 

As you can see, their website doesn't work anymore so I can't confirm it. Aslo, I'm not sure anymore as the user Galactico didn't mention it in his previous posts.

If he isn't committed to Canada and is just trying to showcase himself I don't want him anywhere near our team taking up a spot that a player who will proudly wear the Maple Leaf would have! I'm sure there has been discussions regarding this so hopefully he is on board now!

The kid was on the field for our U20 when they scored our second goal to TIE ENGLAND. Maybe he made a mistake in going to Chile and realizes it now. He has lots of friends on our U20 team and he is proudly reperesenting us and has during all youth levels. I was the first to ridicule him for goign to Chile, even tweeting at him. But for now he is committed to us and we should support him, if he bails on us in the future to go to Chile, then by all means he should feel our wrath. But not now.

If he isn't committed to Canada and is just trying to showcase himself I don't want him anywhere near our team taking up a spot that a player who will proudly wear the Maple Leaf would have! I'm sure there has been discussions regarding this so hopefully he is on board now!

Who said he was not committed to Canada. He has returned to the Canada U20 team. I could see the fact that training with the Chilean team would benefit himself and his career. He could get the experience of training with other coaches and when contract time comes up the fact he went to Chilean National team practice and is part of Canada U20 would help him get money and playing time.

He may have handled it wrong and made some Canadian fans scared of losing him but you need to give him a break. He is a young kid with a long way to go.

Who said he was not committed to Canada. He has returned to the Canada U20 team. I could see the fact that training with the Chilean team would benefit himself and his career. He could get the experience of training with other coaches and when contract time comes up the fact he went to Chilean National team practice and is part of Canada U20 would help him get money and playing time.

He may have handled it wrong and made some Canadian fans scared of losing him but you need to give him a break. He is a young kid with a long way to go.

Rephrase it as, "I can see how my girlfriend might benefit from dating other guys before settling down to marry me" and you get a sense how longtime, hardcore, many-times-spurned v's might feel about this particular fellow.

Rephrase it as, "I can see how my girlfriend might benefit from dating other guys before settling down to marry me" and you get a sense how longtime, hardcore, many-times-spurned v's might feel about this particular fellow.

Maybe if you're a Mormon with 20-odd strapping young girlfriends that happen to be U-20 males.  No shame in sharing them around for a bit before they settle down, eh?

No, I don't know why I take these analogies too far either...

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sampaoli is looking to bring 'foreign players' to the Chilean national team

The possible players that the Argentine coach wants to bring are Marco Bustos, 19 year old midfielder of Vancouver Whitecaps in Canada and Fabio Vandenbossche, keeper of 16 years old from the lower divisions of Zulte Waregem in Belgium. EFE

http://d10.paraguay.com/sampaoli-busca-traer-extranjeros-la-seleccion-chilena-n627140 

The possible players that the Argentine coach wants to bring are Marco Bustos, 19 year old midfielder of Vancouver Whitecaps in Canada and Fabio Vandenbossche, keeper of 16 years old from the lower divisions of Zulte Waregem in Belgium. EFE

http://d10.paraguay.com/sampaoli-busca-traer-extranjeros-la-seleccion-chilena-n627140 

I hate to say it, but the Belize matches would have been the perfect time to cap-tie Bustos ... it's stupid, but that's the "game" that has to be played.

Link doesn't work.  Chile is really considering a USL player who couldn't make their U20 squad for a camp?